What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

mongoose

Coach
haha these types of forums are very 2000s, i'm surprised its still as popular as it is. I reckon LU had way more activity 10-15 years ago. Lots of people would have moved to Facebook, Twitter and reddit over the years to discuss sports.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I'd imagine interstate migration and immigrants from New Zealand has played a role. Polynesians are not going to embrace fumbleball. There's a lot of resentment amongst fumbleball fans about the love Polynesians gave for rugby league. They know it's a demographic they'll never have on their side.

A-League and Super Rugby have gone backwards. I wouldn't be surprised if Super Rugby ceased to exist or became more niche than the NBL.

The local sports embedded on FTA are more dominant than ever over the international ones confined to PTV.

I remember searching the internet on a dumb phone 15 years ago. It was painfully slow and provided terrible resolution on a tiny screen. Back then I only used my PC to access the internet. These days I only a smart phone for almost everything. Smart TVs are changing the landscape even more.
It’s funny you mention the divide of Polynesians and AFL, a few years ago 2019/20 the Central Coast rugby league competition wasn’t played due to Covid so my son decided to play AFL.
One day his big Māori mate Kingi came to watch him play, I kept saying to Kingi that it was a rascist game as there were no islanders out on the field playing lol.
The big islanders are physically to balky to play AFL and could you imagine an AFL player doing that pushy bargey rubbish they carry on with to a poly boy lol.
My sons nearly biffed on when a few of the AFL guys did it to them and the howls of protest from the AFL crowd when a player was taken in a proper ball and all dominant tackle, I thought my son was going to get penalised but we ended up with the ball and it happened every time.
Another funny thing being a league player playing AFL was they would stand where you would catch a league ball but a AFL ball (sherrin) carried longer in the air and mostly carried on over their heads instead of dropping like a steeden would.
So funny to watch.
I suppose if you were a Victorian watching a AFL game on the Central Coast would be like when we watched Fremantle v South Perth in WA, my sons walked away and went back and sat in the car before halftime, I watched it but the standard was pretty ordinary and these two teams were leading the competition at this stage.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
It’s funny you mention the divide of Polynesians and AFL, a few years ago 2019/20 the Central Coast rugby league competition wasn’t played due to Covid so my son decided to play AFL.
One day his big Māori mate Kingi came to watch him play, I kept saying to Kingi that it was a rascist game as there were no islanders out on the field playing lol.
The big islanders are physically to balky to play AFL and could you imagine an AFL player doing that pushy bargey rubbish they carry on with to a poly boy lol.
My sons nearly biffed on when a few of the AFL guys did it to them and the howls of protest from the AFL crowd when a player was taken in a proper ball and all dominant tackle, I thought my son was going to get penalised but we ended up with the ball and it happened every time.
Another funny thing being a league player playing AFL was they would stand where you would catch a league ball but a AFL ball (sherrin) carried longer in the air and mostly carried on over their heads instead of dropping like a steeden would.
So funny to watch.
I suppose if you were a Victorian watching a AFL game on the Central Coast would be like when we watched Fremantle v South Perth in WA, my sons walked away and went back and sat in the car before halftime, I watched it but the standard was pretty ordinary and these two teams were leading the competition at this stage.
They starved poor Israel Folau to play their game

Kevin sheedy was talking about he would usher in a wave of Polynesian talent into the afl

you would think if you were going to spend billions on an afl team you would check out the demographic of western Sydney to see if the people would watch and play it

Perth Red

Post Whore

Kevin sheedy was talking about he would usher in a wave of Polynesian talent into the afl

you would think if you were going to spend billions on an afl team you would check out the demographic of western Sydney to see if the people would watch and play it
youre not talking AFL are you? MugaB will be all over this!

MugaB

Coach

Ive got my eye on you....
Screenshot_20230517-211833_Gallery.jpg
Talk nrl or leave with a eye full of racist remarks

mongoose

Coach
So funny to watch.
I thought it was funny when Ben Barba played local AFL in QLD and scored some record amount of goals in his first ever game lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
haha these types of forums are very 2000s, i'm surprised its still as popular as it is. I reckon LU had way more activity 10-15 years ago. Lots of people would have moved to Facebook, Twitter and reddit over the years to discuss sports.
Yeah pretty much everybody has moved. Forums still have value for longform content and deep discussion though, not this particular forum, but forums in general.

Twitter is surface level at best, a cesspool at worse. Instagram is even more surface level than Twitter. Facebook's demographics skew way older. Reddit communities almost always get taken over by mods who don't tolerate dissent and end up aggressive echo chambers. Aside from video sharing and streaming sites (YouTube, Twitch, and TikTok), which don't have developed RL communities, have relatively steep barriers to entry, and are inherently parasocial in nature, all other forms of social media are largely irrelevant to RL at the moment.

mongoose

Coach
Yeah pretty much everybody has moved. Forums still have value for longform content and deep discussion though, not this particular forum, but forums in general.

Twitter is surface level at best, a cesspool at worse. Instagram is even more surface level than Twitter. Facebook's demographics skew way older. Reddit communities almost always get taken over by mods who don't tolerate dissent and end up aggressive echo chambers. Aside from video sharing and streaming sites (YouTube, Twitch, and TikTok), which don't have developed RL communities, have relatively steep barriers to entry, and are inherently parasocial in nature, all other forms of social media are largely irrelevant to RL at the moment.
yeah I don't really use Twitter, I guess its not a true discussion platform though. I've never used Facebook to discuss League so I wouldn't know. I sometimes use Reddit, i would say its got a younger (and woker) demo than this place.

Wb1234

Referee

Rugby league is huge on tik tok lol

So funny to watch.
The only time I played fumbleball was during a PE class at school. I kept getting penalised for tackling too rough. I never understood the game.

Latest posts