What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building the next NZ team

Yep the “NZ” in “One NZ Warriors” is actually part of the sponsor name, not the team name. They do use NZ on some branding and merch (ie my 2024 members cap) but mostly it’s just Warriors or The Warriors.
Far as I’m aware ‘New Zealand Warriors’ is the club’s official name, formally changed back when Watson took over and for the purpose of repositioning the club as representing the whole country.

I know most people rarely use it but the fact it’s the club’s formal name is the only reason I wonder whether another NZ team would find issue with it and push for a change.

It’s obviously no biggie, but it wouldn’t hurt if it became one anyway. Especially if it kicks off a bit of rivalry chatter.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Far as I’m aware ‘New Zealand Warriors’ is the club’s official name, formally changed back when Watson took over and for the purpose of repositioning the club as representing the whole country.

I know most people rarely use it but the fact it’s the club’s formal name is the only reason I wonder whether another NZ team would find issue with it and push for a change.

It’s obviously no biggie, but it wouldn’t hurt if it became one anyway. Especially if it kicks off a bit of rivalry chatter.
Yeah I remember that happening. But they’ve pulled back over the years since in how prominent the NZ part has been in the branding. Prior to the One NZ rebrand they were often just the Vodafone Warriors, they’ve kinda got the NZ back in the name more again because of the sponsor name change now.

So in a way it’d be a good time for them to drop the “NZ” part from the official name now because it’d make very little practical difference as long as One NZ remains the sponsor, they’ll still be the One NZ Warriors.

Last edited:
Yeah I remember that happening. But they’ve pulled back over the years since in how prominent the NZ part has been in the branding. Prior to the One NZ rebrand they were often just the Vodafone Warriors, they’ve kinda got the NZ back in the name more again because of the sponsor name change now.

So in a way it’d be a good time for them to drop the “NZ” part from the official name now because it’d make very little practical difference as long as One NZ remains the sponsor, they’ll still be the One NZ Warriors.
Yea that makes sense. On the topic of Vodafone/One NZ, that’s gotta be one of the longest tenured primary sponsorships in the game. So many ups and downs over the years but they’ve stuck strong throughout. Big respect to those guys.

Matua

Bench
I've only ever referred to them as the Warriors (and a bunch of words unrepeatable on here ;) ) and never Auckland or NZ or sponsorship Warriors. I'll never call them that stupid nickname that got popular last year.

RedVee

First Grade
There’s a few theories where it came from, my initial thought was it was a pisstake pronunciation of how we are usually abbreviated on scoreboards etc as WARS.
Initially I hated the term but it’s caught on and bringing a new crowd in so I guess where’s the harm
Aussie based Kiwi’s seem to have jumped aboard based on my workplace.