What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
Safety won’t be a problem if you stay in the compound but is that the sort of lifestyle that will attract NRL players? We already have players turning their noses up at places like Canberra because it doesn’t have the lifestyle like Sydney. I’m assuming living in a compound on PNG probably isn’t that appealing either.

I agree though that fan safety will probably be a bigger issue.

I maintain that whilst I’m sure they’ll manage to get some NRL players to head over they will first and foremost need to rely on homegrown talent.

Them producing their talent is key for the franchise working.

If they are developing talent, that helps International footy and where value might come in for TV

Centy Coast

Juniors
Great win by the Bears today, the two top placed teams went head to head, the Bears only had two Melbourne Storm contracted players playing for them top in centre Reimis Smith and 2nd rower Tepai Moerai, Canberra had seven Raiders contracted players take the field for them today, among them were hooker Zac Woolford, centre Albert Hopoate, winger Nick Cotric and prop Emre Guler.
The Bears couldn’t draw on the Storm today as they play later this afternoon and the Storms 22 man Squad was hit with two late injuries with both forwards Christian Welsh and Nelson Asofa-Solomona pulling out of their clash with the Roosters.
The Bears now go five points clear at the top of the NSW Cup competition ladder with nine successive victories, there are six rounds remaining.
The Perth Bears if successful with their expansion bid should look at some of these NSW Cup players, there is some quality in there.

IMG_5169.jpeg

Players and their families will be totally safe ?, why do they have to live in a compound oh sorry resort then lol.
Seriously you can’t make this shit up.
I’d have Perth Bears, Bris Tigers and NZ 2 as my next three sides.

View attachment 91281
Perth Bears need to play all home games in Perth. If they do then they have a chance of succeeding.

The fluff pieces about PNG are as cringeworthy as WB1234'S pretentious support for PNG, NZ2, Warriors and Perth Bears.

None of the people pushing for PNG would ever live in Port Moresby.

Wb1234

Referee
Don't quote me but over ten years ago a league attendances were close to NRL. Sydney derby was big ticket item. Conservative Gallop was put in charge & game stagnated. Fans got sick of seeing same teams play each other so often in 10 team league.
Not gallops fault

super rugby crowds collapsed too

if anything adding extra teams in Melbourne was a big mistake

gallop did add the titans which made the afl rush to copy him

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I can see PNG doing the dirty on Albo the Spazzo. If PNG were to sign a secret deal with China mid-season in 2027 -- provided they're in the competition by then -- then that would leave the NRL in a horrible position. Aus Gov could take back the money they're providing. That would require the ARLC to chip in $25m a year to keep the team afloat. They couldn't allow it to fall over because it would render the broadcast deal null and void.
If I was China (and as an Aussie I hope they don't do this), I'd just outbid Australia for PNG's allegiance by offering $700m for the NRL team.

Although they'd have to go through the next PM because the current one has already said he's keen to side with Australia. I'd imagine PVL and other NRL administrators would be rightly hesitant to f**k their own country in the arse by negotiating the funding of the team with China.

Wb1234

Referee
If I was China (and as an Aussie I hope they don't do this), I'd just outbid Australia for PNG's allegiance by offering $700m for the NRL team.

Although they'd have to go through the next PM because the current one has already said he's keen to side with Australia. I'd imagine PVL and other NRL administrators would be rightly hesitant to f**k their own country in the arse by negotiating the funding of the team with China.
Who cares let China spend money on rugby league too it’s good for the game

Nutz

Bench
People have been living in compounds or whatever you want to call them for decades. An old mate of mine has been running a hotel up there since the 90s. I don’t think safety will be an issue if you follow some pretty simple rules. There are other reasons the proposal has flaws. I’m not convinced safety is one of them.
Bullshit.
I spent on averaged 4 months a year up there for years on end and barbed wired motels and guards are there for a reason.
Yes you are safe inside but what a great way to promote the game.
You walk alone at your peril.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade

Given ties between NRL & government won't happen. A league does have Chinese owners tho..