What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whatever they are they are and always will be more than Perth
you could just say: 'I have no idea" and be done with it.

IF WA had had the money that PNG has had invested over the last ten years I can be pretty confident we would have more WA players in NRL than PNG has produced (in fact I think we already have lol)

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
no-one has yet been able to show any evidence of what jnr numbers are in PNG.

Shouldn’t be too hard to deduce. There are 12 Digicel Cup clubs/teams.

Each of those clubs need to pull players from somewhere local/within region because I doubt many players would switch clubs or be poached by clubs. I could be wrong here though.

Assuming each club has at the very least 20 players in their squad. That is 240 players in top grade alone. There must be somewhere for reverse grade players to compete (6 clubs have known reserves in Santos Cup) again 20 players minimum x 6 teams = 120 players.

There are 6 regional school academy teams for both men and women. Those regional school teams pull players from smaller schools. I think it’s safe to assume there’s a minimum 4 schools per region = 24 schools feeding into 6 regional school teams. If those 24 schools have 20 players minimum that’s 480 players.

There are 14 regional club competitions that feed into the Digicel Cup. Those clubs have seniors and juniors. Those regional club competitions have various numbers of clubs that compete within them.

1 comp has 12 teams
1 comp has 2 teams
1 comp has 16 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 6 teams
1 comp has 9 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 5 teams
1 comp has 8 teams
1 comp has 6 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 6 teams
1 comp has 6 teams

That’s a total of 102 known teams within those regional club competitions. If all have minimum 20 players that’s 2040 minimum seniors! Meaning there must almost be double if not triple the junior numbers to feed those senior clubs. Looking at 4,080 to 6,120 (5,080 mean estimated average) juniors that are feeding those 102 clubs which have estimated 2,040 senior players

Then there’s the Hunters who have a 25 man squad minimum.

25 + 120 + 5,080 + 2,040 + 480 + 240 = 7,985 estimated known male rugby league participants/players.

I reckon the real number is double if not triple that but that is harder to quantify as the data on clubs/teams outside the documented ones as per links are harder to find.

MugaB

Coach
no-one has yet been able to show any evidence of what jnr numbers are in PNG.
Joe grima could, besides you just need to look at how many digicel clubs there are and in each grade, that could atleast show the participation, it's largely untapped by NRL

Gordie

Juniors
from your own link

There are 5,000 registered players between the ages of 12 and 18.

In WA there are about 3500 registered junior players
But how many kids are there playing in isolated villages on the mainland and on the islands that don’t have structured leagues and programs etc?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Shouldn’t be too hard to deduce. There are 12 Digicel Cup clubs/teams.

Each of those clubs need to pull players from somewhere local/within region because I doubt many players would switch clubs or be poached by clubs. I could be wrong here though.

Assuming each club has at the very least 20 players in their squad. That is 240 players in top grade alone. There must be somewhere for reverse grade players to compete (6 clubs have known reserves in Santos Cup) again 20 players minimum x 6 teams = 120 players.

There are 6 regional school academy teams for both men and women. Those regional school teams pull players from smaller schools. I think it’s safe to assume there’s a minimum 4 schools per region = 24 schools feeding into 6 regional school teams. If those 24 schools have 20 players minimum that’s 480 players.

There are 14 regional club competitions that feed into the Digicel Cup. Those clubs have seniors and juniors. Those regional club competitions have various numbers of clubs that compete within them.

1 comp has 12 teams
1 comp has 2 teams
1 comp has 16 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 6 teams
1 comp has 9 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 5 teams
1 comp has 8 teams
1 comp has 6 teams
1 comp has 10 teams
1 comp has 6 teams
1 comp has 6 teams

That’s a total of 102 known teams within those regional club competitions. If all have minimum 20 players that’s 2040 minimum seniors! Meaning there must almost be double if not triple the junior numbers to feed those senior clubs. Looking at 4,080 to 6,120 (5,080 mean estimated average) juniors that are feeding those 102 clubs which have estimated 2,040 senior players

Then there’s the Hunters who have a 25 man squad minimum.

25 + 120 + 5,080 + 2,040 + 480 + 240 = 7,985 estimated known male rugby league participants/players.

I reckon the real number is double if not triple that but that is harder to quantify as the data on clubs/teams outside the documented ones as per links are harder to find.
But how many kids are there playing in isolated villages on the mainland and on the islands that don’t have structured leagues and programs etc?

That is why I estimated/assumed that double if not triple the figures I presented above come from.

I believe the actual number that would take into consideration these local comps where proper structure is almost non-existent elevates the final numbers much higher than the 8,000 known participants that I estimated based on the amount of active comps & clubs that are documented as per the links.

Latest posts