What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Marlins

Juniors
It’ll be interesting if NZ secure standalone rights to the RLWC25 and how it could impact the next expansion side. Let’s say NZ does host, it would seem like a golden opportunity to put the 18th team in NZ. Wellington (Orcas) appears to be the only bidding team from NZ. Not sure if there’s any others.

Singapore has held International Rugby 7s for decades, and the sport has gained Zero traction there in this timeframe.

There's plenty of junior rugby union clubs in Singapore fielding teams from U5s to U17s.

Here's one of them:

Last edited:
None of those players leave without the Dolphins in existence.

The Storm lost a bunch of forwards nearing the end of there career, who they would have moved on anyway.

Tabuai-Fidow was wasted on the bench and wasn't happy. If the Dolphins didn't reach out to him then some one else would have. Newcastle poached Ponga from the Cowboys when he was an understudy stuck behind Lachlan Coote. Players leave when they cannot hold down a spot in the team and are offered a chance elsewhere.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’ll be interesting if NZ secure standalone rights to the RLWC25 and how it could impact the next expansion side. Let’s say NZ does host, it would seem like a golden opportunity to put the 18th team in NZ. Wellington (Orcas) appears to be the only bidding team from NZ. Not sure if there’s any others.
Havent heard from Chalmers since 2021. No one else has publicly come forward at this time. Chalmers still has the Orcas on his linked in positions and has registered URLs and TM's for Orcas so presuming he get the financial backers he would still be keen.

Presuming Vlandys doesn't do the dirty on the game again then in all likelihood TV negotiations will be done in 2025/26 and a club 18 decision will be made soon after for an admission in 2028.

Canard

Immortal
There's plenty of junior rugby union clubs in Singapore fielding teams from U5s to U17s.

Here's one of them:

Can you show me this evidence of "plenty" of junior teams?

And what, if any, presence does Union have at a senior level?

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not sure of relevance but pre covid looked like 8 clubs fielding 16 sides in the snr comp. with 6 of them fielding sides in the U19's and a few more clubs than that in the 7's comp.

I just did!

The Dragons' site reveals teams from U5s to U17s. There are boys teams and girls teams in each age bracket!

It disproves your claim that the game has made "zero traction" in Singapore over the last 30 years. And that's just one club. There are other clubs in Singapore.

It's more than the Melbourne Storm have been able to achieve in Victoria over the last 25 years.

I just did!

The Dragons' site reveals teams from U5s to U17s. There are boys teams and girls teams in each age bracket!

It disproves your claim that the game has made "zero traction" in Singapore over the last 30 years. And that's just one club. There are other clubs in Singapore.

It's more than the Melbourne Storm have been able to achieve in Victoria over the last 25 years.

The Storm is a good comparison. We went there is 1998 with almost zero interest, and built the fan-base one fan at a time (the Storm Clouds book is a great read on this. The club would literally go door to door in the suburbs with the most Kiwi expats and try to sell memberships/tickets). Now there are one of the most valuable clubs in the comp.

Some of the cities in SE asia could unlock some unimaginable TV deals/ sponsorships and the region is close enough to just extend the NRL.

I was a teacher in China years back and some of those kids today are enormous (Shows what a decent diet can do for your health) so the potential is there. Get the NRL into the region and use that as the flagship to drive participation and interest

Pneuma

First Grade
I just did!

Nrl Victoria city competition has 18 clubs and 250 teams you ignorant twat.

greenBV4

Bench
The Storm is a good comparison. We went there is 1998 with almost zero interest, and built the fan-base one fan at a time (the Storm Clouds book is a great read on this. The club would literally go door to door in the suburbs with the most Kiwi expats and try to sell memberships/tickets). Now there are one of the most valuable clubs in the comp.

Some of the cities in SE asia could unlock some unimaginable TV deals/ sponsorships and the region is close enough to just extend the NRL.

I was a teacher in China years back and some of those kids today are enormous (Shows what a decent diet can do for your health) so the potential is there. Get the NRL into the region and use that as the flagship to drive participation and interest
But, SE Asia isn't in NSW or Qld???

Would require effort, this is something the NRL has shown reluctance to give unfortunately

Vlandys might mention it to the media off handedly though, so it'll give a month of press until the next idea comes along, then never happen

The Great Dane

First Grade
Havent heard from Chalmers since 2021. No one else has publicly come forward at this time. Chalmers still has the Orcas on his linked in positions and has registered URLs and TM's for Orcas so presuming he get the financial backers he would still be keen.

Presuming Vlandys doesn't do the dirty on the game again then in all likelihood TV negotiations will be done in 2025/26 and a club 18 decision will be made soon after for an admission in 2028.

Chalmers talks a big game, but he comes across as being way out of his depth, maybe even a bit of a charlatan, and everything he touches turns to shit. So it'd probably be for the best if he wasn't involved anyway.

I guarantee that the NRL could find investors for a second NZ side if the NRL showed that they were serious about expansion in the market and went looking, but if I was the NRL I'd launch the second NZ side inhouse then sell it once it was reasonably well established. It'd be the best method to make sure things were done right in NZ's case.

Chalmers talks a big game, but he comes across as being way out of his depth, maybe even a bit of a charlatan, and everything he touches turns to shit. So it'd probably be for the best if he wasn't involved anyway.j

I guarantee that the NRL could find investors for a second NZ side if the NRL showed that they were serious about expansion in the market and went looking, but if I was the NRL I'd launch the second NZ side inhouse then sell it once it was reasonably well established. It'd be the best method to make sure things were done right in NZ's case.

Ive personally come around on the idea of promoting Reserve grade operations (I think the Dolphins hit the right balance with the soft rebrand)

It means we have the operations in place and we just look to expand (rather than going from 0 to 100 in one go). I do wonder how the Titans would have gone if we gave the licence to Burleigh or Logan instead of Searle (or required Searle to launch a reserve side a few years in advance)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ive personally come around on the idea of promoting Reserve grade operations (I think the Dolphins hit the right balance with the soft rebrand)

It means we have the operations in place and we just look to expand (rather than going from 0 to 100 in one go). I do wonder how the Titans would have gone if we gave the licence to Burleigh or Logan instead of Searle (or required Searle to launch a reserve side a few years in advance)
Problem with that is it will continue to restrict expansion to NSW or Qlnd only. Its not currently financially viable to run a second grade club without pokie or NRL club funding.

Canard

Immortal

Well Logan didn't exist as a club in 2007,unless you mean the merged Souths Magpies entity, and is some 90km away from the Gold Coast.

And Burleigh has been a feeder club for the Titans since their inception, so not sure what you think would have been any different??