What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Dark Corner

Juniors
Sellout crowd last night at Central Coast Stadium formerly known as Bluetongue Stadium for the CCMariners v Adelaide A-League game 20,060.
Funny thing is back in 2010 I attended a Manly v Wests Tigers game at Bluetongue Stadium and the crowd was 20,059 and in 2011 I attended another game featuring Manly and the Wests Tigers again at Bluetongue Stadium and the crowd was again 20,059.
Sooner a Rugby League team the better as it seems the CC folks are desprate for some sporting action if that A-League bollocks can sell out

Id love to see a business case for a team in South-East Asia.

Just as an example, Singapore:
-
It is 6 hours flying (about the same as Toronto for the SL).
- It already has an amazing stadium
- The city is safe/liveable (biggest challenge for PNG)
- It could open an unimaginable market for TV/sponsorships
- Im sure we would have 30 players willing to move

And just imagine what it would do for the international game if we could develop a few local Malay players (along with the Aussie-Malay kids coming through)

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Bringing up afl again i see. Boooorrrrrriiiinngggg
First of all I want to say this. If an 18th team was being brought into the competition I want it to be Perth. We've consolidated the competition with the reintroduction of Souths as well as Gold Coast and Dolphins. The time is ripe to expand and Perth is the best option.

If you want to hitch your ride to Perth Pelican go for it. Assuming you're not one of his alts.

But whinging and bringing up fantastical lies about what support Perth will get and bringing down other bids and existing clubs brings Perth no favours.

And you're right, afl is boring.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Sooner a Rugby League team the better as it seems the CC folks are desprate for some sporting action if that A-League bollocks can sell out
We tried to get the Bears happening on the Central Coast but the NRL kept moving the goal posts, firstly they knocked back the John Singleton backed Central Coast Bears for another Gold Coast team in 2007, then between 2010 and 2011 the Central Coast Bears signed 8,000 members, the NRL said vote with your feet so we did selling out those Manly v Wests Tigers games as well as big numbers at other games held at Central Coast Stadium.
Then in 2012 the NRL said expansion would not be looked at until 2014, 2014 came and the NRL said that they would not consider expansion again until all of its existing teams were financially viable. It is now 2023, the Dolphins have been admitted and have been very successful, the Bears were favourites in many player/fan polls between 2010 and 2012, then a Perth team were favourites in these same polls up until 2020. The NRL don’t want a Central Coast team, the NRL don’t want another NSW team, teams like the Sydney Roosters, Newcastle Knights and Manly Warringah certainly don’t want a Central Coast team as it would dilute their own player resources.
I’ve seen kids like Nicho Hynes, the Saifiti Brothers, Scotty Drinkwater, Bradman Best and many others from U6’s onwards develop into NRL players and I’ve seen many others just as good if not better walk away from league due to work commitments.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Regional clubs should get an extra 1 million pa in grant

afl states and nz should get 2 million more

same salary cap as the rest
With the NRL paying travel costs

I dont see a requirement for the extra grant

Bukowski

Juniors
First of all I want to say this. If an 18th team was being brought into the competition I want it to be Perth. We've consolidated the competition with the reintroduction of Souths as well as Gold Coast and Dolphins. The time is ripe to expand and Perth is the best option.

If you want to hitch your ride to Perth Pelican go for it. Assuming you're not one of his alts.

But whinging and bringing up fantastical lies about what support Perth will get and bringing down other bids and existing clubs brings Perth no favours.

Wasnt hitching my ride to anyone . But your thinking that anyone living in Perth would have no clue about Sydney league but everyone in Australia knows everything about league in Perth is ridiculous.

The Dolphins admission to the comp has hurt the Cowboys more then any other team in the NRL, in terms of talent retention.

Another Brisbane team will likely be curtains for the Cowboys long term sustainability as a competitive team.
Cowboys let Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow leave because he wasn't firing at fullback and there was no room for him in the back line.

Gilbert wanted to move back to Brisbane.

Lemuelo was stuck in Queensland Cup.

Storm lost the nucleus of their forward pack.

The Cowboys' problems stem back to 2018. The team underachieved in 4 of the last 5 seasons and don't look like a happy unit. They've played under three coaches during that time. Players like Lemuelo and Tabuai-Fidow have blossomed since going to the Dolphins. There has been something rotten in Townsville since 2018. The players aren't hungry enough and don't look like they care for one another.

Id love to see a business case for a team in South-East Asia.

Just as an example, Singapore:
-
It is 6 hours flying (about the same as Toronto for the SL).
- It already has an amazing stadium
- The city is safe/liveable (biggest challenge for PNG)
- It could open an unimaginable market for TV/sponsorships
- Im sure we would have 30 players willing to move

And just imagine what it would do for the international game if we could develop a few local Malay players (along with the Aussie-Malay kids coming through)
I've advocated relocating the Dragons to Singapore. I copped a lot of shit for it by people who want to keep everything Sydney-centric. One of them claimed Singapore is "tiny", despite the fact it's bigger than Australia's largest city!

We should at least take the NRL 9s to Singapore. Allow the locals to learn about the game and provide an event for rugby league fans to attend. The "cool" season for the NRL is during our summer months. It's an ideal time in the calendar to run an NRL 9s competition and provide additional content for the broadcasters during the off-season.

Pippen94

First Grade
I've advocated relocating the Dragons to Singapore. I copped a lot of shit for it by people who want to keep everything Sydney-centric. One of them claimed Singapore is "tiny", despite the fact it's bigger than Australia's largest city!

We should at least take the NRL 9s to Singapore. Allow the locals to learn about the game and provide an event for rugby league fans to attend. The "cool" season for the NRL is during our summer months. It's an ideal time in the calendar to run an NRL 9s competition and provide additional content for the broadcasters during the off-season.

"I've advocated relocating the Dragons to Singapore." Said with no hint of humor

Canard

Immortal
Cowboys let Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow leave because he wasn't firing at fullback and there was no room for him in the back line.

Gilbert wanted to move back to Brisbane.

Lemuelo was stuck in Queensland Cup.

Storm lost the nucleus of their forward pack.

The Cowboys' problems stem back to 2018. The team underachieved in 4 of the last 5 seasons and don't look like a happy unit. They've played under three coaches during that time. Players like Lemuelo and Tabuai-Fidow have blossomed since going to the Dolphins. There has been something rotten in Townsville since 2018. The players aren't hungry enough and don't look like they care for one another.
None of those players leave without the Dolphins in existence.

The Storm lost a bunch of forwards nearing the end of there career, who they would have moved on anyway.

Canard

Immortal

Singapore has held International Rugby 7s for decades, and the sport has gained Zero traction there in this timeframe.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Afl and me still living in your head rent free I see lol

Centy Coast

Juniors
Manly should take over the region. Take a few games to Gosford.
I’m not sure how that would go, when the Northern Eagles were struggling and were slowly reverting back to being Manly Warringah, Central Coast locals turned their backs on Manly with crowds at Bluetongue Stadium diminishing drastically.
Manly fans also don’t like to travel, they are a very strange lot those Northern Beaches crowd.
The Roosters have taken over the Central Coasts junior reps since around 2012, , I feel that they are more committed to their women’s program up here now though.

blue bags

First Grade
I’m not sure how that would go, when the Northern Eagles were struggling and were slowly reverting back to being Manly Warringah, Central Coast locals turned their backs on Manly with crowds at Bluetongue Stadium diminishing drastically.
Manly fans also don’t like to travel, they are a very strange lot those Northern Beaches crowd.
The Roosters have taken over the Central Coasts junior reps since around 2012, , I feel that they are more committed to their women’s program up here now though.
Should be more games at Brookvale oval

Marlins

Juniors
Regarding Gosford, maybe 8/9 NSW clubs could take one game there a year and each QLD club use Magic round as a home game to compensate.
we really don’t need another NSW Club unless we do P&R. And I can’t see any team moving full time there.

Latest posts