What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only 30k of the Storm's FTA viewers are from Melbourne. Their value to the broadcasters is the ratings they pull in SEQ. A Perth-based team won't pull strong ratings in SEQ. You're arguing that a Perth-based team will generate massive ratings in SEQ like the Storm. The only reason the Storm gained traction in SEQ is because of the reputational damage caused by a) the Broncos' defection to Super League and b) loss of Chargers and Crushers. Instant success drew support from disaffected Queenslanders.
What they lack in Melbourne audience they more than make up for around the country.
TV/Streaming cares about total audiences and number of subscribers. Storm are doing better than most in the comp in drawing in tv audiences. For all the hoop la around dolphins they only avg'd 3k a game more on FTA and a lot less on PTV than Melbourne.

The leading clubs on television during the 2023 season:

FTA
  • Broncos 620,000
  • Penrith 586,000
  • Parramatta 569,000
  • Sth Sydney 549,000
  • Dolphins 521,000
  • Melbourne 518,000
  • Sydney 510,000
PTV
  • Broncos 288,000
  • Sth Sydney 270,000
  • Melbourne 267,000
  • Nth Queensland 259,000
  • Penrith 257,000
Source:https://www.footyindustry.com/2023/...ngs-attendances-social-media-and-memberships/

Colk

First Grade
How does another team in an area with 3 on its doorstep, "grow the game"?

It doesn’t nominally. Fair enough if you do it after areas explode in population but you don’t grow the game by continually putting in sides one after the other in the same place and in quick succession

Firstly, I don’t support the Storm. So I don’t care how they go on the field.

Secondly, that is a supposition. Having nine Sydney clubs hasn’t meant that talent from Sydney hasn’t gone outside of Sydney or even talent from NSW hasn’t ended up at Melbourne or the QLD sides. There is a very high probability that players from QLD will end up outside of Qld no matter how many QLD sides there are.

Clubs aren’t limited to their background and can recruit from anywhere they want.

Would Smith, Cronk and Slater have ended up at the Storm if the Dolphins and Titans were in the NRL 25 years ago?

What they lack in Melbourne audience they more than make up for around the country.
TV/Streaming cares about total audiences and number of subscribers. Storm are doing better than most in the comp in drawing in tv audiences. For all the hoop la around dolphins they only avg'd 3k a game more on FTA and a lot less on PTV than Melbourne.

The leading clubs on television during the 2023 season:

FTA
  • Broncos 620,000
  • Penrith 586,000
  • Parramatta 569,000
  • Sth Sydney 549,000
  • Dolphins 521,000
  • Melbourne 518,000
  • Sydney 510,000
PTV
  • Broncos 288,000
  • Sth Sydney 270,000
  • Melbourne 267,000
  • Nth Queensland 259,000
  • Penrith 257,000
Source:https://www.footyindustry.com/2023/...ngs-attendances-social-media-and-memberships/

You've just proven my point!

Storm are valuable because they carved out a strong supporter base in SEQ in the late 90s and early 00s. Broncos were on the nose because of their role in Super League. Cowboys were irrelevant at that stage in SEQ. Titans and Dolphins didn't exist. Storm filled the void.

It also helps that the Storm have been successful on the field for much of their existence. Neutrals like to watch successful teams.

There's no void left in SEQ for a Perth-based team to fill. It's highly unlikely that a Perth-based team will be successful like the Storm.

Stop pretending that a Perth-based team will be a carbon copy of the Storm.

Colk

First Grade
Would Smith, Cronk and Slater have ended up at the Storm if the Dolphins and Titans were in the NRL 25 years ago?

Who knows? That’s a hypothetical. I know the Broncos passed on Slater (so they had the opportunity) and Cronk was signed from Union (I could be wrong but that’s from my memory)

Here’s the evidence though:

Adam Reynolds, Payne Hass and Kotoni Staggs are all New South Welshman from the top of my memory and they are not playing for NSW sides.
Cowboys have Chad Townsend, Scott Drinkwater, Reece Robson and Jordon McLean from NSW playing for them.
Gold Coast have a few as well.

This is not even considering players from NZ which they all probably have a few.

This is happening despite having 10 NSW sides in the competition.

Clubs are successful because they are run well not because of where they are located (although PNG might change that)

Wb1234

Referee
Who knows? That’s a hypothetical. I know the Broncos passed on Slater (so they had the opportunity) and Cronk was signed from Union (I could be wrong but that’s from my memory)

Adam Reynolds, Payne Hass and Kotoni Staggs are all New South Welshman from the top of my memory and they are not playing for NSW sides.
Cowboys have Chad Townsend, Scott Drinkwater, Reece Robson and Jordon McLean from NSW playing for them.

This is not even considering players from NZ which they all probably have a few.

Clubs are successful because they are run well not because of where they are located (although PNG might change that)
Location matters

clubs like the storm will struggle against the panthers

Perth has no chance

There's plenty of Queenslanders playing for Sydney teams.

The problem with your argument is Victoria produces little to no juniors for the other clubs.

Queensland, NSW and NZ produce the juniors.

Colk

First Grade
Location matters

clubs like the storm will struggle against the panthers

Perth has no chance

Huh? That post makes absolutely no sense.

Penrith have been successful recently because they are finally well run, they have money and they have been good at scouting. If it was purely location then they would have been a lot more successful over the past 20-30 years.

Wb1234

Referee
Huh? That post makes absolutely no sense.

Penrith have been successful recently because they are finally well run, they have money and they have been good at scouting. If it was purely location then they would have been a lot more successful over the past 20-30 years.
Where do 90 per ent of those good juniors come from

four straight gf

if Penrith and the storm both operate at their best Penrith blow storm off the park

we have clubs we can add like easts who can be like this

even nz2 would have no problem with juniors

Colk

First Grade
There's plenty of Queenslanders playing for Sydney teams.

The problem with your argument is Victoria produces little to no juniors for the other clubs.

Queensland, NSW and NZ produce the juniors.

Sure. That wasn’t the point though was it. We are not operating a mercantile system where players can only play for clubs in their local area.

Clubs are successful by how well they are run and the scouting/recruitment they have. Simple.

Sure. That wasn’t the point though was it. We are not operating a mercantile system where players can only play for clubs in their local area.

Clubs are successful by how well they are run and the scouting/recruitment they have. Simple.

Storm were run by News Ltd when the company held a 50% stake in the game. They were better funded than every team bar the Broncos between 1998 and 2012. They rorted the system.

Perth won't have these luxuries.

Colk

First Grade
Where do 90 per ent of those good juniors come from

four straight gf

if Penrith and the storm both operate at their best Penrith blow storm off the park

we have clubs we can add like easts who can be like this

even nz2 would have no problem with juniors

Do you read?

If it was purely about location then why have not been constantly successful over the past 20-30 years? You can answer the question when you feel like it.

I am going to throw it out there - I just think that they are the best run club at the moment. They also are lucky that they have clearly the best halfback going at the moment.