What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Last Week

Bench
It's pretty clear that the benchmark for the next round of bids is the Jets and Firebirds.

Perth or NZ2 are going to have to come up with a business plan to show the same stability and revenue stream as those two.

As grotesque as it may seem, Leagues Clubs offer a consistent revenue stream aswell as equity.

I worry that The Reds/Pirates are going to need NRL support for them to be a viable option, and I'm not sure if the NRL will be willing to do that.

But, they negotiated $25 million from Fox for the Dolphins, so hopefully something similar for Perth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's pretty clear that the benchmark for the next round of bids is the Jets and Firebirds.

Perth or NZ2 are going to have to come up with a business plan to show the same stability and revenue stream as those two.

As grotesque as it may seem, Leagues Clubs offer a consistent revenue stream aswell as equity.

I worry that The Reds/Pirates are going to need NRL support for them to be a viable option, and I'm not sure if the NRL will be willing to do that.

But, they negotiated $25 million from Fox for the Dolphins, so hopefully something similar for Perth.
Yeh it will def be the make or break of any bid given its clear the NRL under Vlandys dont want to invest anything to grow the game. Quite a marked difference to AFL who spend in the region of $100million a year in growing into new markets.

The value of a ninth game should be more than the $20mill offered by Fox for the 17th club so it should easily pay for itself where ever it is based.

For Perth it will be important to get the backers who are supposed to be waiting in the wings to put the cash on the table and have a decent portfolio of corporate support lined up to give NRL confidence they wont have to spend anything. At the least though it would be nice if the NRL contributed by significantly boosting funding to the NRLWA to grow the grassroots on the back of a new team.

if the NRL stick with their no investment and only growing where there is a pokie den backing then the game isnt going to grow very far!

Colk

First Grade
Hey Lastweek do you think that the Titans/Broncos won’t object to a South Brisbane or Ipswich side in say another 2-3 years? I’m not saying that it was the only reason why the Jets or Firehawks didn’t get the bid but it would naive to think it wasn’t a factor. I can’t see how Broncos/Titans or more importantly News Limited will change their minds

mongoose

Coach
Hey Lastweek do you think that the Titans/Broncos won’t object to a South Brisbane or Ipswich side in say another 2-3 years? I’m not saying that it was the only reason why the Jets or Firehawks didn’t get the bid but it would naive to think it wasn’t a factor. I can’t see how Broncos/Titans or more importantly News Limited will change their minds
Not just those 2 but the Dolphins as well.

greenBV4

Bench
Not just those 2 but the Dolphins as well.
Exactly, Dolphins will want time to expand their popularity and gain supporters across all of Brisbane, plonking another Brisbane team in in 2-3 years would severely disrupt that, and if that's the case they may as well of been told by the NRL to just keep Redcliffe in their name

I really don't think Brisbane 3 will be the next team, I think it's gonna be out of Perth or NZ 2, and with the lack of current bids from NZ, Perth is in a good position

siv

First Grade
Brisbane will only have one option now for Brisbane 3 and thats is Ipswich. And they are clearly not ready

The others Perth, Orcas and PNG will need long term investments and are subject to government health barriers for the next decade

CC Bears taking in all of North Shore is the logical choice

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane will only have one option now for Brisbane 3 and thats is Ipswich. And they are clearly not ready

The others Perth, Orcas and PNG will need long term investments and are subject to government health barriers for the next decade

that would be so Vlandys lol

mongoose

Coach

NRL needs to step in and give the north shore to Manly or Easts, or divvy it up...

Last Week

Bench
Yeh it will def be the make or break of any bid given its clear the NRL under Vlandys dont want to invest anything to grow the game. Quite a marked difference to AFL who spend in the region of $100million a year in growing into new markets.

The value of a ninth game should be more than the $20mill offered by Fox for the 17th club so it should easily pay for itself where ever it is based.

For Perth it will be important to get the backers who are supposed to be waiting in the wings to put the cash on the table and have a decent portfolio of corporate support lined up to give NRL confidence they wont have to spend anything. At the least though it would be nice if the NRL contributed by significantly boosting funding to the NRLWA to grow the grassroots on the back of a new team.

if the NRL stick with their no investment and only growing where there is a pokie den backing then the game isnt going to grow very far!

So, if that were the case, why should the commission offer a licence to a Perth or NZ2 (who will need more financial support over a longer period) then say another Brisbane team?

It's easy to say that it'll be expanding the footprint of the game, but there's a risk vs reward decision to be made here. Sure, Perth or Wellington would be excellent to have in the competition, but what is the point if they're going to be a financial burden on the game and clubs?

At the moment, it appears as though another Queensland team is the strongest option that will still net the added revenue of a 9th game.

What I'm saying is is that Perth need to show that they're as safe as what another Brisbane team would be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So, if that were the case, why should the commission offer a licence to a Perth or NZ2 (who will need more financial support over a longer period) then say another Brisbane team?

It's easy to say that it'll be expanding the footprint of the game, but there's a risk vs reward decision to be made here. Sure, Perth or Wellington would be excellent to have in the competition, but what is the point if they're going to be a financial burden on the game and clubs?

At the moment, it appears as though another Queensland team is the strongest option that will still net the added revenue of a 9th game.

What I'm saying is is that Perth need to show that they're as safe as what another Brisbane team would be.
Growth strategy into new markets. Plus risk of over saturation too quickly in Brisbane. I dont really know any business that has growth where there isnt some level of risk attached. Many business gurus will ask whats the risk of not growing? Brisbane3 may look the safer option in the short term but in the long term could prove to be a disaster if the game suffers badly from not having a footprint in major capital city areas.

Harsh reality for the game is it needs to move past its super conservative "must have a pokie den" to be safe mentality or else its on a road to nowhere fast. Its more about does the game have the funds to invest and does it see a strategic imperative to grow into new markets. Id say yes to 1. but lord only knows with 2, especially with Vlandys and his puppet in charge. I wouldnt say Brisbane 3 is strongest option, short term safest option maybe. Given the revenue raising of a 9th game should more than cover a new team and potential start up, short term investment costs, its still a relatively low risk scenario for NRL and there will be no better opportunity to actually take the game into a new market.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Growth strategy into new markets. Plus risk of over saturation too quickly in Brisbane. I dont really know any business that has growth where there isnt some level of risk attached. Many business gurus will ask whats the risk of not growing? Brisbane3 may look the safer option in the short term but in the long term could prove to be a disaster if the game suffers badly from not having a footprint in major capital city areas.

Harsh reality for the game is it needs to move past its super conservative "must have a pokie den" to be safe mentality or else its on a road to nowhere fast. Its more about does the game have the funds to invest and does it see a strategic imperative to grow into new markets. Id say yes to 1. but lord only knows with 2, especially with Vlandys and his puppet in charge. I wouldnt say Brisbane 3 is strongest option, short term safest option maybe. Given the revenue raising of a 9th game should more than cover a new team and potential start up, short term investment costs, its still a relatively low risk scenario for NRL and there will be no better opportunity to actually take the game into a new market.
The next expansion will almost certainly be into a new market. NZ2 has been talked about and Perth is an option. It will most likely be one of those two. As impressive as the Firehawks and Jets submissions may have been I don't think they'll go with Brisbane 3 in 2025/6

Latest posts