What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Only way any of those places works is if State or Fed or both chuck in tens of millions.
Tassie Govt is chucking in $12mil a year for ten years for operational costs! No doubt if the Feds did same for NT it would be viable. And like said the AFL is about to get an extra $150mill a year, it can afford whatever club it decides it wants.

PNG needs govt money or its a non starter.
Its not viable. Your sport doesn't have enough players.

Wb1234

Referee
No, the lowest crowd was 6,258 in 2017 on a storm effected night.
the crowd avg for NRL games in Perth over the last 15 years is 16,156
Lies damned lies

and statistics

(double header crowds included
never said they wasnt. Fan-based revenue, merch sales and attendances are far better measures of a clubs active fanbase than membership numbers these days.

I only point it out when people throw them up as some sort of data point for how succesful a club is growing. it really isnt hard to add 10k to your membership total with the give aways and one game tickets they offer now.
brisbane broncos have the greatest profits out of any sporting club (even before factoring in gaming revenue)

maybe your clubs could learn from the best

Wb1234

Referee
Only way any of those places works is if State or Fed or both chuck in tens of millions.
Tassie Govt is chucking in $12mil a year for ten years for operational costs! No doubt if the Feds did same for NT it would be viable. And like said the AFL is about to get an extra $150mill a year, it can afford whatever club it decides it wants.

you getting over when the bears play manly ?

Dragonwest

Juniors
No, the lowest crowd was 6,258 in 2017 on a storm effected night.
the crowd avg for NRL games in Perth over the last 15 years is 16,156
Bunnies v Melbourne, started belting down 45min before the game. One of the most crazy storms I've witnessed in Perth. The teams were kicking into puddles into the in-goals. Less than half the sold tickets were in attendance from memory. Had a couple of groups of friends who didn't even end up leaving the pubs on Beaufort Street to walk to the ground.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Suns 1 game membership... I didn't have to look hard

This is going to blow your mind... are you sitting down? Did you know that AFL and NRL clubs sell non ticketed memberships? Holy shit!! What a scandal. You should shake your fist and yell at the clouds
You really are just a dishonest piece of shit aren't you.
Please provide mythical data referencing no new customers in Brisbane.

Game is absolutely flying and yes Brisbane 3 out west will be amazing for the NRL and QLD. It's got nothing to do with AFL they've got nothing out west and barely any foothold in Brisbane at all outside of toffs and prictorians.
Provide mythical data that shows that there has been growth of the customer base.

You're the one that's making the claim, all I've done is point out that your data doesn't show what you're claiming it does.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lies damned lies

and statistics

(double header crowds included

brisbane broncos have the greatest profits out of any sporting club (even before factoring in gaming revenue)

maybe your clubs could learn from the best
thats the avg for ALL NRL games held in Perth over last 15 years. Double headers divided by two.
15 games in total.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bunnies v Melbourne, started belting down 45min before the game. One of the most crazy storms I've witnessed in Perth. The teams were kicking into puddles into the in-goals. Less than half the sold tickets were in attendance from memory. Had a couple of groups of friends who didn't even end up leaving the pubs on Beaufort Street to walk to the ground.
Worse one Ive been to was before the ground got refurbed. Cant remember the year (2005 or 2010 I think) but we were stood at the back of the old east stand with no roof and my kag pockets literally filled with water! That was nuts lol Yeh that low drawing game was a serious storm front. Wind and a bucket load of rain, not much fun for anyone.

Bukowski

Juniors
Had my three very young daughters and wife with me that day. 10 mins in we left. I would have stayed by myself if my team was playing but bugger that shit.

are the AFL really struggling to prop up those teams or is this just your little fantasy? actually it seems to be a fantasy amongst a lot of people on this forum. Not sure the AFL are going to bankrupt themselves anytime soon, as much as people wish they did....
AwFuL is not struggling to foot the bill at the moment, but the investment has been enormous and hasn't provided much in return.

The Age estimated St Kilda received $156 million across the decade 2012-21, the most of any Victorian club and $17 million more than the next (Western Bulldogs), with Brisbane ($160 million), Gold Coast ($198 million) and GWS ($203 million) getting the most help over that period.

THE AFL 2023 FUNDING LADDER

1. Gold Coast ($25 million)

2. GWS Giants ($25 million)

3. Brisbane Lions ($18-19 million)

4. North Melbourne ($18-19 million)

5. St Kilda ($18-19 million)

6. Melbourne ($16 million)

7. Western Bulldogs ($16 million)

8. Port Adelaide ($16 million)

9. Sydney Swans ($16 million)

10. Fremantle ($11.5-12.5 million)

11. Carlton ($11.5-12.5 million)

12. Adelaide Crows ($11.5-12.5 million)

13. Geelong ($11.5-12.5 million)

14. Essendon ($11-11.5 million)

=15. Richmond ($10.5-11 million)

=15. Hawthorn ($10.5-11 million)

=15. Collingwood ($10.5-11 million)

=15. West Coast ($10.5-11 million)

Base amount of $10.5 to $11 million included

All figures are approximate which is why some ties, ie between the Suns and Giants on $25 million, are broken

That doesn't include the millions they've invested on junior development across Queensland and NSW for marginal gains. I have no doubt you'll ignore this inconvenient fact because it doesn't suit your anti-BRL agenda.

The most important takeaway from this is the ARLC will not provide a variable funding scheme to expansion clubs in Adelaide and Perth.

I can understand Western Australians not wanting to watch the football during a storm.

The point is your mate Perth Rat chastises Queenslanders and New South Welshmen for staying indoors when the weather is awful. Cowboys are made to play home games in the sun during March when the humidity is strong enough to make players vomit while kids in the stands roast. Perth Rat expects the locals to show up irregardless of the conditions, yet he makes all sorts of excuses when Perth has a game during bad weather.

Canard

Immortal

Darwin is 130k with zero catchment near it.

Hobart is 200k with another 300k in the surrounding state.

Hobart is going to struggle big time, Darwin is a fever dream.

blue bags

First Grade
Not sure the 3 year contract at souths will let him set up a coaching clinic in lovely sunny hot perf, besides there's no bid from Perth, has everyone forgotten that... meanwhile the bears have said they'll play wherever the nrl/arlc ask them to, but the mainstay favourite line that's been toed is that Png are 18th, with possible 19th ad 20th being whoever soon after
Looking at a 5 year Rabbitohs deal
Takes Benny Boy to 79 years younger
Then coach in Pacifika Grizzlies Bear's 🐻

Wb1234

Referee
RL in Victoria wouldn't exist without NSW, Queensland and NZ.
I shake my head at the blind ignorance shown by the pro Perth campaigners

the evidence is there in Melbourne it’s going to be a long grind for little gain whilst there is low hanging fruit in nz and Brisbane

Perth should be ranked against other bids and only admitted when it’s the best against any rival bid