What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore

taken just on 30 years for the storm to start becoming a genuine league club

shows the uphill battle a Perth team will face
great to see the game Taking off in Victoria, the more the merrier.

It took Melbourne 25 years of a succesful nrl club to get participation rates to where perth was last year.

moral of the story in invest in grass roots or expect little growth.

I shake my head at the blind ignorance shown by the pro Perth campaigners

the evidence is there in Melbourne it’s going to be a long grind for little gain whilst there is low hanging fruit in nz and Brisbane

Perth should be ranked against other bids and only admitted when it’s the best against any rival bid
That's the reason I'm against Perth. The only way it gets in is if a better bid from Brisbane or New Zealand misses out. Brisbane Tigers and South Island Kea will produce more players and generate better television ratings in their markets than a Perth-based team. That dickhead Perth Rat likes to whinge about attendances being low, yet he advocates a team from a fumbleball market that will bring the NRL average down. There's no consistency to his logic.

Dumbest argument ever. Like saying how many players in nsw and qlnd if English and islander people never moved to Australia lol
If the bulk of "Victorians" playing and watching rugby league are from rugby league heartland then it means the pool of potential players is very low. In other words, you cannot say that the Storm have a market of 6,000,000 to themselves when only a very small fraction of the population are actively participating in the game as a fan or player.

Your argument is quite dumb, BTW. There's plenty of Europeans, East Asians and Arabs playing rugby league in Queensland and NSW because it's the most culturally ingrained sport in both states.

Can the same be said about persons from these ethnicities in Victoria?

I'm Polish. MugaB is Croat. WB is Lebanese. We love rugby league.

How many Poles, Croats and Lebanese people living in Melbourne are following rugby league?

MugaB

Coach
great to see the game Taking off in Victoria, the more the merrier.

It took Melbourne 25 years of a succesful nrl club to get participation rates to where perth was last year.

moral of the story in invest in grass roots or expect little growth.
You do know they've only started doing it right
This could have been done in 1998 too, then they'd would have WAAAAYYY more actual juniors and more participants by now probably 10 fold, due to the population in Victoria with only the one team,
Good stuff storm keep it up, hopefully this brings about less reliance on feeder clubs from nsw/qld and those feeders can look into new expansion areas

Wb1234

Referee
If the bulk of "Victorians" playing and watching rugby league are from rugby league heartland then it means the pool of potential players is very low. In other words, you cannot say that the Storm have a market of 6,000,000 to themselves when only a very small fraction of the population are actively participating in the game as a fan or player.

Your argument is quite dumb, BTW. There's plenty of Europeans, East Asians and Arabs playing rugby league in Queensland and NSW because it's the most culturally ingrained sport in both states.

Can the same be said about persons from these ethnicities in Victoria?

I'm Polish. MugaB is Croat. WB is Lebanese. We love rugby league.

How many Poles, Croats and Lebanese people living in Melbourne are following rugby league?
Ooft I should be nice to you and mugs

Eastern European girls are the bomb

I’ve had two Croatian girls who have ruined my life. They are the best

I’ll trade you guys half the lebo girls in Bankstown for lol

lebanese in Sydney love league

dogs eels and parra have the biggest fanbase

even manly has loads of lebanese fans

maybe sharks and Penrith don’t due to geography

RedVee

First Grade

Saints do / did

mongoose

Coach

Tigers? would think they have with players like Farrah, Douhei, Benny Elias....

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
You really are just a dishonest piece of shit aren't you.

Provide mythical data that shows that there has been growth of the customer base.

You're the one that's making the claim, all I've done is point out that your data doesn't show what you're claiming it does.
Dishonest because I found a 1 game membership? Funny stuff

Growth of the game in Brisbane since the Dolphins came in...

- Extra 50k memberships (say what you want about the rubbery nature of memberships, but the fact is people have paid for these)

- Extra 25k (average) that attended Dolphins games and the extra 5 - 10k that have attended Broncos games. Yes, some of the Broncos crowds are due to success, however, they haven't pulled crowd averages this high since 1994 and a Dolphins derby as well as them having to pull their finger out in terms of marketing due to competition also is a factor.

- Sponsors of the Dolphins wouldn't be in the game without a second team to put their money into.

- An extra strong rating team helping the NRL dominate in the TV ratings

So go on you high and mighty peice of shit... please now tell me how none of these factors have brought new fans, money or sponsors to the NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
Dishonest because I found a 1 game membership? Funny stuff

Growth of the game in Brisbane since the Dolphins came in...

- Extra 50k memberships (say what you want about the rubbery nature of memberships, but the fact is people have paid for these)

- Extra 25k (average) that attended Dolphins games and the extra 5 - 10k that have attended Broncos games. Yes, some of the Broncos crowds are due to success, however, they haven't pulled crowd averages this high since 1994 and a Dolphins derby as well as them having to pull their finger out in terms of marketing due to competition also is a factor.

- Sponsors of the Dolphins wouldn't be in the game without a second team to put their money into.

- An extra strong rating team helping the NRL dominate in the TV ratings

So go on you high and mighty peice of shit... please now tell me how none of these factors have brought new fans, money or sponsors to the NRL.

Dane won’t like seeing that

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
never said they wasnt. Fan-based revenue, merch sales and attendances are far better measures of a clubs active fanbase than membership numbers these days.

I only point it out when people throw them up as some sort of data point for how succesful a club is growing. it really isnt hard to add 10k to your membership total with the give aways and one game tickets they offer now.
Completely agree about the nature of memberships but who gives a f**k. The media runs with it and it's good PR.

The evidence of growth is there in many factors outside of memberships so to say there is no growth is pure denial.

Latest posts