What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee
Geez your dad was a hard man

Newcastle also beat us to advance to the GF against Manly when Darren Albert ran down Matt Seers from behind when he was in the clear and away back in ‘97.
Heart breaking moments but the Bears were well known to always find a way to lose the tight contests.
It was like the reserve grade Grand Final against Parramatta when the Eels were awarded a penalty goal in front on the 7th tackle lol.
And last years NSW Cup GF when Souths crossed in the corner with less than a minute remaining after getting a penalty from a crusher tackle where the Souths player reversed into the defence and grabbed his neck without even being squashed down on lol.
I had a photo framed of the 21 22 premiership winning teams but I think it got wrecked by the rain when I moved house

how cool is the name the shoremen ?

people here dunno sh@t about Sydney

don’t realise the wealth in the lower north shore

Centy Coast

Juniors
Manly should have stronger links with Gosford.
If Manly had gone 50/50 in the merger everything would have been fine, as soon as the NRL said that the license would revert back to Manly if the merger failed that was when Arko and Fulton rubbed their hands together and knew that they had their little club back.
A few under belly bribes, the now former Norths President driving around in a new maserati around the Northern Beaches with a new job at Manly Leagues and Manly were in the dominant position in the merger.
Coincidence lol.

Canard

Immortal
All the Sydney clubs have a long history of fielding QLD players.

The Bears are not unique in that sense, and are not even close to being 'huge' in QLD in comparison to other non-QLD clubs.

Centy Coast

Juniors
I'm looking forward to the Bears infecting a new Perth side with their history of failure, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and over a century of lack of any sort of success.

Over a century.....lmao.

Good luck Perth, you're gonna need it.
When I played rugby league failure was when you came last, when you held that dreaded wooden spoon, the Bears last held the wooden spoon in 1979 before that was 1951 so I’m not sure how you judge success but as long as you avoid that last position and can regularly qualify for finals football I think you are travelling okay.

Centy Coast

Juniors
All the Sydney clubs have a long history of fielding QLD players.

The Bears are not unique in that sense, and are not even close to being 'huge' in QLD in comparison to other non-QLD clubs.
I’m talking about in the 90’s no Sydney team came close to having as many Queenslanders in their team as the Bears, St George came close when they signed Peter Gill, Mark Coyne, Wayne Bartrim etc from Bris Brothers one year.

They wouldn't care for either.

Old Bears fans in NSW would though and that will help TV
Don’t discount Bears fandom in QLD. I’m QLDer as they come - came to Sydney as a junior with another 7 fellow Qlders at the time to play lower grades with the Bears in the mid to late 90’s. They had some some recruitment in SEQld back then. Some lads kicked on, most didn’t - that’s based on individual skill and temperament I guess.

Plenty of Bears sympathisers up in QLD. Be it SEQld pocket or North Qld pocket - I’ve lived in both - have had businesses in both and have engaged and made many friends and partners in both. From a rugby league perspective when people find out my passion for the Bears and for the Panthers - I always get good reception (probably not so much with Panthers these days because they keep winning everything haha).

Wasn’t that long ago 3/4 twenty year old Bears supporters crashed the Brisbane Bombers bid launch at Suncorp when the Bears were trying hard to enter as Central Coast.

Long story is Bears have support beyond North Sydney - always have and still does. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t get out enough away from their local suburb. Big world out there.

When I played rugby league failure was when you came last, when you held that dreaded wooden spoon, the Bears last held the wooden spoon in 1979 before that was 1951 so I’m not sure how you judge success but as long as you avoid that last position and can regularly qualify for finals football I think you are travelling okay.
Mate, just scrapping in ahead of Wests was hardly a badge of honour. :rolleyes:

Iamback

Coach
Don’t discount Bears fandom in QLD. I’m QLDer as they come - came to Sydney as a junior with another 7 fellow Qlders at the time to play lower grades with the Bears in the mid to late 90’s. They had some some recruitment in SEQld back then. Some lads kicked on, most didn’t - that’s based on individual skill and temperament I guess.

Plenty of Bears sympathisers up in QLD. Be it SEQld pocket or North Qld pocket - I’ve lived in both - have had businesses in both and have engaged and made many friends and partners in both. From a rugby league perspective when people find out my passion for the Bears and for the Panthers - I always get good reception (probably not so much with Panthers these days because they keep winning everything haha).

Wasn’t that long ago 3/4 twenty year old Bears supporters crashed the Brisbane Bombers bid launch at Suncorp when the Bears were trying hard to enter as Central Coast.

Long story is Bears have support beyond North Sydney - always have and still does. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t get out enough away from their local suburb. Big world out there.

There could be Bears fans all over the place, my point is on TV having the Bears name and colours will bring some eyeballs... As opposed to a brand new team that won't get the same traction straight away

mave

Coach

What are wooden spoons?

Latest posts