What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

It won't be the Perth Jets.

‘Better spending time in the sun at Henson’: Singo, Jets quit Perth NRL bid​

July 2, 2024 — 7.45pm​
John “Singo” Singleton, a man so identifiable he is one of the few Australians known solely by his nickname, has withdrawn from a business case which linked his second-tier club, Newtown, with Perth in a bid to become the NRL’s 18th team.​
In a cryptic text from the US where he is on yet another get-fit holiday, the iconic Sydney businessman said, “Mate, Newtown out of Perth bid. Too many games being played by Norths and WA government.”​
Translation: the North Sydney Bears and the Western Australia government are using him and the Jets as a pawn in negotiating an outcome for their benefit.​
Singleton made preliminary overtures to business figures aimed at establishing a $30 million investment group, but it appears he has consigned it to the too-hard basket.​
Singo, a young 82, indicated he would prefer to avoid transcontinental travel every second week despite the lure of the team being called the Perth Jets.​
“Better spending time in the sun at Henson,” he declared, sending photos of a big crowd on a recent beer festival day at the Jets’ home ground.​
“We must avoid our Biden time,” he added – a reference to the failing cognitive capacities of the US president, and the possibility of the pressure of part-owning an NRL club contributing to similar decline.​
Still, sources close to the WA government insist a link between Perth and the Bears is no fait accompli, with the 1908 NSWRL foundation club believed to be aggressive in its demand for seats on the board, number of games at North Sydney Oval and capital injection.​
A source close to the Bears who spoke on the condition of anonymity denies this, claiming it was a negotiating tactic to diminish their bid, which has been widely reported to have the backing of ARLC chair Peter V’landys.​
“This thing moves at a mile a minute,” said a representative of the WA government, who listed three possible outcomes: Perth goes it alone; a Perth/Norths consortium wins or a change of heart by Singo resurrects a Perth/Jets coalition.​
A man with an acute radar for duplicity, Singo has issues with the veracity of the numbers of junior players, level of financial backing and TV viewers being touted by both the WA government and their preferred owner, Peter Cummins of Cash Converters.​
Singo also queries the size of the TV audience being spruiked in the west.​
“These days they are called eyeballs,” he said. “Do you count them as two eyeballs or one?”​

I told you there are major flaws with Perth. Good to see Mr Singleton has seen the light.

@Pippen94 @Wb1234 @Perth Red @shewi6

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors

July 2, 2024 — 7.45pm​
John “Singo” Singleton, a man so identifiable he is one of the few Australians known solely by his nickname, has withdrawn from a business case which linked his second-tier club, Newtown, with Perth in a bid to become the NRL’s 18th team.​
In a cryptic text from the US where he is on yet another get-fit holiday, the iconic Sydney businessman said, “Mate, Newtown out of Perth bid. Too many games being played by Norths and WA government.”​
Translation: the North Sydney Bears and the Western Australia government are using him and the Jets as a pawn in negotiating an outcome for their benefit.​
Singleton made preliminary overtures to business figures aimed at establishing a $30 million investment group, but it appears he has consigned it to the too-hard basket.​
Singo, a young 82, indicated he would prefer to avoid transcontinental travel every second week despite the lure of the team being called the Perth Jets.​
“Better spending time in the sun at Henson,” he declared, sending photos of a big crowd on a recent beer festival day at the Jets’ home ground.​
“We must avoid our Biden time,” he added – a reference to the failing cognitive capacities of the US president, and the possibility of the pressure of part-owning an NRL club contributing to similar decline.​
Still, sources close to the WA government insist a link between Perth and the Bears is no fait accompli, with the 1908 NSWRL foundation club believed to be aggressive in its demand for seats on the board, number of games at North Sydney Oval and capital injection.​
A source close to the Bears who spoke on the condition of anonymity denies this, claiming it was a negotiating tactic to diminish their bid, which has been widely reported to have the backing of ARLC chair Peter V’landys.​
“This thing moves at a mile a minute,” said a representative of the WA government, who listed three possible outcomes: Perth goes it alone; a Perth/Norths consortium wins or a change of heart by Singo resurrects a Perth/Jets coalition.​
A man with an acute radar for duplicity, Singo has issues with the veracity of the numbers of junior players, level of financial backing and TV viewers being touted by both the WA government and their preferred owner, Peter Cummins of Cash Converters.​
“These days they are called eyeballs,” he said. “Do you count them as two eyeballs or one?”​

I told you there are major flaws with Perth. Good to see Mr Singleton has seen the light.

@Pippen94 @Wb1234
You just beat me to it lol.
Omg Perth Red there goes your favourite option lol, I knew this Jets news was all hot air, they bring absolutely nothing to the table, looks like Singo thinks the same of WA as well ?.
Maybe the Bears should go with the Brisbane Tigers as players from both parties have been rumoured to be suggesting.
Both the Bears and the Brisbane Tigers are feeder clubs to the Melbourne Storm in 2024.

Wb1234

Referee

July 2, 2024 — 7.45pm​

@Pippen94 @Wb1234 @Perth Red @shewi6
“Mate, Newtown out of Perth bid. Too many games being played by Norths and WA government.”

Translation: the North Sydney Bears and the Western Australia government are using him and the Jets as a pawn in negotiating an outcome for their benefit.”

Wb1234

Referee
“link between Perth and the Bears is no fait accompli, with the 1908 NSWRL foundation club believed to be aggressive in its demand for seats on the board, number of games at North Sydney Oval and capital injection.”

although this was denied it makes sense
Capital injection journo had got mixed up cause he’s a dope

it will be norths who are putting in the capital injection

Wb1234

Referee
Omg Perth Red there goes your favourite option lol, I knew this Jets news was all hot air, they bring absolutely nothing to the table, looks like Singo thinks the same of WA as well ?.
Maybe the Bears should go with the Brisbane Tigers as players from both parties have been rumoured to be suggesting.
Both the Bears and the Brisbane Tigers are feeder clubs to the Melbourne Storm in 2024.
Was that your Perth bears news for this week or is there more ?

Centy Coast

Juniors
Was that your Perth bears news for this week or is there more ?
I haven’t heard anything, just one of the Bears players on the weekend said that he had heard more news was coming but he hadn’t been told what.
Bears Chairman Daniel Dickson wasn’t at NSO on the weekend.
I think I am going down again this weekend and he should be there as it is Bears Legends Day.

IMG_5024.jpeg

Would the Bears and Tigers be able to come to an arrangement that suits both parties?

"Brisbane Bears" is trademarked.

I haven’t heard anything, just one of the Bears players on the weekend said that he had heard more news was coming but he hadn’t been told what.
Bears Chairman Daniel Dickson wasn’t at NSO on the weekend.
I think I am going down again this weekend and he should be there as it is Bears Legends Day.

View attachment 90520
A sneak peak at the bears' premiership winning team parade.

images

Centy Coast

Juniors
I cannot see it working.
Yeah I think the club is now to far invested into WA unless talks breaks down, but when everything went quiet the players were keen on this happening and had even gone higher to discuss the possibility.
The only thing stopping it really is the Dolphins recent admission last season, but they are discussing 2027 for the next team, then 2028 and then as late as 2032.
If WA try to go it alone I wouldn’t rule out this option down the track, that’s why I wasn’t to worried.

Last edited: