What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
I used to think people were trolling now I realise they are literally that stupid

I am not doubting Gus said that.

That was in response to 3 games at NSO. If true and it now is 1 then the side already looks different. Maybe now Bears are seen as a stronger bid then back in April or whenever it was

On the flip side those Cummins articles for me expressed doubts in certain areas.

Again we don't have business cases to assess on, Those who do may change their minds several times even now

Wb1234

Referee
Here is my original message. Maybe get your carer to read this time?

I clearly say IF a new club is seen as too risky.

Again now there is a criteria and 2 bids to choose from we will see. Hell neither Perth Bid might not be good enough
Wasting your time that guy is just dense

Billythekid

First Grade
I don’t know how we can be critical of teams like GWS and support a team like the Perth bears. If they are actually end up playing games at NSO that’s crazy to me. This will end up being the one and only team representing Perth for the NRL and having it be some half Sydney club is crazy.

I’m more than happy to be proven wrong but if you want to build a big successful team in a relatively new market it needs its own identity. Yes I know teams like the swans started a similar way but ultimately they moved on from that.

Iamback

Coach
I don’t know how we can be critical of teams like GWS and support a team like the Perth bears. If they are actually end up playing games at NSO that’s crazy to me. This will end up being the one and only team representing Perth for the NRL and having it be some half Sydney club is crazy.

I’m more than happy to be proven wrong but if you want to build a big successful team in a relatively new market it needs its own identity. Yes I know teams like the swans started a similar way but ultimately they moved on from that.

Any new team is coming in with no extra salary cap, No draft so need to build from within.

Only reasons Bears are a chance is the lack of pathways in these areas.

As for the game at NSO teams sell home games anyway. So a single game is no different any more than that is where it can be hard for a team to take hold

Maximus

Coach
Any new team is coming in with no extra salary cap, No draft so need to build from within.

As for the game at NSO teams sell home games anyway. So a single game is no different any more than that is where it can be hard for a team to take hold

How are the Bears going to help with that? Why is a kid from North Sydney more likely to sign with a Perth team than a kid from anywhere else in Sydney?

Billythekid

First Grade

There is a difference between voluntarily selling off a game and sharing your identity with another club.

I don’t buy the argument that taking on the bears name and playing any amount of games at NSO will make it any easier for them to compete.

The only reason this would even be considered is because of where the money is coming from which is fair. My issue is you don’t want to risk the long term performance of your team for short term dollars. We want the people of Perth to back this team so they can build a nice supporter base like what the storm have managed. You do that by building your own identity in the place you’re expecting fans to come from.

Iamback

Coach
There is a difference between voluntarily selling off a game and sharing your identity with another club.

I don’t buy the argument that taking on the bears name and playing any amount of games at NSO will make it any easier for them to compete.

The only reason this would even be considered is because of where the money is coming from which is fair. My issue is you don’t want to risk the long term performance of your team for short term dollars. We want the people of Perth to back this team so they can build a nice supporter base like what the storm have managed. You do that by building your own identity in the place you’re expecting fans to come from.

The articles that had direct quotes in it from Cummins. He mentioned they need to find $30m to help with start up costs.

Newtown Jets - ( John Singleton ) confirmed the same.

I look at clubs like Souffs who have private guys buy into the club. Cannon-Brooks for example has a seat on the board as a result.

So the question is what are Perth willing to give up to get the cash, Then is Norths Leagues getting a seat any different then other examples?

So depends on the final makeup for me there examples of similar working and I'd expect lots of questions to be asked by those making the decisions

Vlad59

Bench

Talking to brick walls here. Apparently you can’t put a side in Perth without giving it a Sydney identity. No matter how Lamback spins it that’s what he’s saying.

Wb1234

Referee

Why pick gws and not the swans ?

Wb1234

Referee

Perth has no identity

they are fully adopting the bears as their identity

The difference is Sydney clubs choose to play at an neutral venue in exchange for money from the host council of the city. Sydney hosts about 100 games each year.

Bears are demanding a game be taken to NSO without any compensation. At one stage they wanted six games to be played at NSO. Perth will only get a maximum of a dozen games a year.

Iamback

Coach
Talking to brick walls here. Apparently you can’t put a side in Perth without giving it a Sydney identity. No matter how Lamback spins it that’s what he’s saying.

Well no happy to have Perth stand alone...

Just answer the Pathways question?

IF Perth stand alone is no brainer surely you would be able to say the plans for their pathways?

No one can answer that yet that is meant to be a better option?

Iamback

Coach
I'm not hearing a lot of negativity surrounding the Bears over here in Perth club land.

Again no one is forcing Bears on Perth. Perth can go it alone but are choosing to talk to the Bears.

So there must be some people atleast open to the idea

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Well no happy to have Perth stand alone...

Just answer the Pathways question?

IF Perth stand alone is no brainer surely you would be able to say the plans for their pathways?

No one can answer that yet that is meant to be a better option?

How are the Bears going to help with that? Why is a kid from North Sydney more likely to sign with a Perth team than a kid from anywhere else in Sydney?