What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

flippikat

Bench
Firstly, we're told that the junior talent is in the Central Coast and not in the North Shore/Sydney. Of course where the juniors and the pathways are is moot because you can take juniors from anywhere and juniors can go anywhere.
Knowing our luck, Newtown - emboldened by getting close to a Perth hook-up - will try a bid to be the "Central Coast Jets", simultaneously pissing off the Roosters & Ipswich..... ;)

RedVee

First Grade
Not really

Most times pommies agents approach nrl clubs

And usually only star players

as the article shows English minimum wage in super league is one third ours

Not so good for the struggling ESL though

Bukowski

Juniors
For many pages on expansion threads, there has been so much focus on North Sydney, with the colours, logo, games at NSO, pathways etc

A question you raised is "How much money does North Sydney have"? A more relevant question should be, Can a Perth standalone club be financially viable?

One of the reasons why the NRL gave the green light to the Dolphins is because they have assets and are in a heartland state.

WA isn't a heartland state, so straight away there is a challenge. No doubt a healthy club grant and improved HBF Park would help, but the club still needs more, because they are not in a rugby league state.

So does Perth, West Coast Pirates, or whatever the team is called have the money to prosper on their own in AFL territory?
That's why they need the $30 mill bank guarantee, to prove they have the backing..
They will have everything they need to prosper. It's just a matter of getting the right people to run it.

Steel Saints

Juniors
The question concerning North Sydney, which has now morphed on here to the North Shore, is relevant.

Firstly, we're told that the junior talent is in the Central Coast and not in the North Shore/Sydney. Of course where the juniors and the pathways are is moot because you can take juniors from anywhere and juniors can go anywhere.

Why would anyone on the North Shore/Sydney invest in a Perth based team? From the goodness of their heart? Because of the chance to see them 1 game a year at a cricket oval?

We are bringing back a defunct team that had 2 opportunities to have a presence in the NRL and blew it just because a few old fogies and some comedian has nostalgia pangs.

What is actually happening with NRL expansion under V'landys is the NRL wants it because it adds to the broadcast deal but they aren't prepared to invest in it or have patience with it. In this case they're bringing in a Frankenstein's monster that benefits neither Perth or North Sydney/Shore/Central Coast and in the case of PNG they are trusting a government and its handouts and the fantasy that putting league in schools in developing countries is going to produce NRL quality players in a short time frame.

The NRL introduced the Dolphins who were an existing club in the Qld Cup and their brand name was established in Qld.

The NRL probably wants another existing club in a state competition like the Bears, to be involved in a new club, but in a different city.

Also the NRL would've had feedback from the broadcasters. Nine and Fox may have suggested "Perth Bears" because it is an easier sell to promote games involving Perth.

Personally I don't mind the possibility of Perth Bears. Both the Western Reds and Norths were screwed during Super League. My preference is for all games to be played in Perth. We have seen GWS take games to Canberra. They are a part time side in Sydney.

With NSO, it is another ground with hills. One day, the code needs to move away from venues that have hills, (or at least upgrade them) because nowadays, it is all about safety. Gone are the days where 27,000 people squeezed into Brookvale Oval to watch Manly v Parramatta.

When I go to the future stadiums thread, I look for updates from Penrith, or if something is happening elsewhere. Instead there are postings about a future AFL stadium in Tassie.

Anyway, if it's done right, Perth Bears can be a success. But in the meantime, I like to hear more from the Perth side of the equation.

Last edited:

Latest posts