What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
When you are a sport that has only 2 professional comps in the world. One of which is in a country with only 25m people the other country it is a niche sport.

Then the options are limited, Again though even in the case Perth had a Ball, Flegg team how long before work gets in the way?

Without being able to offer work/study options as part of a fulltime set up then these will struggle.
My understanding is when the Reds came in they had around 80 young/fringe players signed up who were paid a small wage and set up with apprentices, jobs, study etc over here.
But yes only the cream are going to stick at it, but then again theres probably only on avg around 4 players a team per year who make their nrl debuts isnt there?

Wb1234

Referee
there has been only a handful of PNG born and raised who have played in the NRL…

whilst we all hope after the injection of a couple of hundred million from the taxpayer this will change … it’s not going to change overnight …

it’s not just a numbers game ..although that helps ….its giving the best kids exposure to elite sports science and coaching…and playing the best level of competition you can whilst they are developing… that won’t happen in PNG for 7-8 years best case scenario
Nrl club will change that

they already have their reserve grade side the hunters

the nrl club will then run the lower level elite pathways

Pippen94

First Grade
It’s going to lead to a huge boost in the player pool down the track

png mostly but even nz2 and north shore and Perth

you watch the north Sydney juniors go back to pre super league days

all those posh north shore schools will be ripe for the picking

More roads leads to more people driving. More professional teams will lead to more players trying to get NRL gig.

Iamback

Coach
My understanding is when the Reds came in they had around 80 young/fringe players signed up who were paid a small wage and set up with apprentices, jobs, study etc over here.
But yes only the cream are going to stick at it, but then again theres probably only on avg around 4 players a team per year who make their nrl debuts isnt there?

It is problem over here. They don't follow diets KFC lunch with other tradies etc. That is with a pathway to NRL in front of them.

Doing it with an NRL spot atleast means you can have the good ones full time. The 1st 10 years is the problem while it is being set up

well I wouldnt say zero reason, its clear we are goign to be scrambling around over next 6 years trying to bring 3 new clubs in without seriously diluting the current talent pool.
Also that Perth has effectively been forced to adopt a sydney club due to perth pathways not being put in place years ago, largely due to a lack of long term vision by the ARLC. Even this expansion race seems to have been an afterthought after Politis suggested it'd be a good idea last year. Not a great way to set strategy Id suggest.

as for qrl and nswrl sooking tough, they are both getting $20mill a year!

V'landys hasn't learnt the lesson from 1995.

The fact the expansion model was created by Politis proves our game is Sydney-centric. It doesn't bother with expansion into Perth until some old bastard from Sydney suggests bringing back a dead Sydney club and plonking it in the other side of the country.

and if those kids are any good wouldnt they prefer to stay in oz?
oh I forgot the tax break lol. What country gives its star sports people tax free living? dodgy or what. I know what id be saying if I was being taxed 42% and some millionaire throwing a ball around wasnt paying anything. Good luck with next election, but then I dont suppose PNG worries too much about election results lol.

I cannot see Australian taxpayers accepting this model. Sadly, Albo and Labor are too stupid and arrogant to gauge public sentiment and listen to people's concerns.

Anna Bligh sold state assets after promising Queenslanders she wouldn't. Queenslanders voted her out in a bloodbath. Labor were left with just 6 seats in the state.

Rudd got rid of offshore processing for asylum seekers. The people smugglers took advantage of it and created a huge problem that divided public opinion. It didn't end well for him.

Gillard promised there would be no carbon tax. Then the liar introduced one. We know what happened to her.

Albo went through with the referendum. No one wanted it. He's pushing through with this PNG team. Few RL fans want it. He doesn't learn. The legacy of his arrogance and stupidity is I will putt Labor last on every ballot I fill in until I die.

ok more than 0 and less than 2 lol
Maybe there will be 1 player in the Bears NSW cup team that we'll sign? The west aussie might make the squad lol

Lachlan Hubner was recruited from the Central Queensland Capras. They're one of the Dolphins' feeder clubs.

Trai Fuller has been a Redcliffe Dolphins player since 2018.

Brayden McGrady played for Tweed Heads Seagulls and Norths Devils before transferring to the Redcliffe Dolphins.

Harrison Graham played juniors for Wynnum Manly Seagulls. He went to Iona College, which is in the Bay side area.

Max Plath is another Wynnum Manly Seagulls player from the Bay side area.

More roads leads to more people driving. More professional teams will lead to more players trying to get NRL gig.
The Hunters were created so Papuans would have a pathway to the NRL. Just one player has progressed to the NRL via the Hunters in a decade.

There's no reason to think these academies are going to produce a litany of NRL players. They'll be scouting from the very small amount of Papuans that play in organised junior competitions.

Most Papuans leave school when they're 12 due to poverty and isolation. There are only a few roads in PNG. Some of the roads are not operational during the wet season.

Pippen94

First Grade
The Hunters were created so Papuans would have a pathway to the NRL. Just one player has progressed to the NRL via the Hunters in a decade.

There's no reason to think these academies are going to produce a litany of NRL players. They'll be scouting from the very small amount of Papuans that play in organised junior competitions.

Most Papuans leave school when they're 12 due to poverty and isolation. There are only a few roads in PNG. Some of the roads are not operational during the wet season.

Road thing was a metaphor. Academies develop players. Plenty of reasons to think players will come out of them.

MugaB

Coach
my point exactly, dont state journo speculation as fact then claim how visionary you are when 10% of them come true!
Who said visionary? Everyone has their opinions, you had Perth, Adelaide and Christchurch as fact, said many time by your great man Politis, remember politis knows, can't be saying I said this or that when you said the same

MugaB

Coach
I give you shit about your ancestry because you give me shit about living in a city that has a high amount of immigrants from third world countries living in low socio-economic households.

Besides, you're a complete f**ken hypocrite as you said your auntie lives in Logan.
Hypocrisy huh, I know plenty of people who live in Marsden, Kingston and Logan, and I don't give you shits about immigrants, i am one dopey, so another made up lie, you come to these conclusions about that all yourself, always creating made up fantasy of BS to suit your narrative, of everyone is against me and my wish for a local NRL team, well there's been one playing in Milton since 1988, there's 2 now.. go see one, and stop projecting your hate onto everyone else

Latest posts