What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
The Maroon Observer= This week in Expansion BS

• Why a 20-team NRL competition solves rugby league’s biggest problems. Andrew Webster with his usual passing shot at being thought provoking without quite sticking the landing. Mostly I dispute “Yes, Redcliffe is directly north of Brisbane, not part of Brisbane” because that’s not how cities actually work and equivalent to saying Parramatta is not part of Sydney. However, I too am in favour of a shorter draw but even with Abdo talking about how the NRL are open to ideas, I just don’t see the broadcasters wrapping their heads around the season being full of dreck that can be replaced without losing much other than generic NRL-branded content. They will want their cut and in a 19 round season, you’re giving up a Broncos-Cowboys and Broncos-Dolphins, which would be like giving up an (low rating) Origin game in terms of total viewers. Alternatively, with four divisions of five, you’d play everyone in-division home and away and everyone else once for a total schedule of 23 rounds (or only two opposing divisions on a rotating basis for 18 rounds)..
  • Has Origin revealed a glaring issue in the NRL expansion debate? Short answer is ‘no’ and the longer answer is ‘admitting the Easts Tigers to the NRL does not improve the pathway to Origin for Queenslanders’. The question posed is ‘who are the youngsters coming through?’ to which my response is Reece Walsh is 22 years old and his successor is probably only 12 or 13 years old. It would be deeply weird if you knew who that was. Anyway, the biggest issue with the Tigers’ bid is that it fails to give us a really compelling reason to admit them that the Dolphins don’t already address. A huge potential fanbase whose needs aren’t being met by the NRL would be ideal but seems unlikely to emerge at this stage. Being the fifth NRL North team though, that has legs.

• The one CRISIS that the NRL overlooked with Perth Bears and PNG (bringing in a team in black, red and white, followed by a team in black, red and gold).

Pippen94

First Grade
The Maroon Observer= This week in Expansion BS

• Why a 20-team NRL competition solves rugby league’s biggest problems. Andrew Webster with his usual passing shot at being thought provoking without quite sticking the landing. Mostly I dispute “Yes, Redcliffe is directly north of Brisbane, not part of Brisbane” because that’s not how cities actually work and equivalent to saying Parramatta is not part of Sydney. However, I too am in favour of a shorter draw but even with Abdo talking about how the NRL are open to ideas, I just don’t see the broadcasters wrapping their heads around the season being full of dreck that can be replaced without losing much other than generic NRL-branded content. They will want their cut and in a 19 round season, you’re giving up a Broncos-Cowboys and Broncos-Dolphins, which would be like giving up an (low rating) Origin game in terms of total viewers. Alternatively, with four divisions of five, you’d play everyone in-division home and away and everyone else once for a total schedule of 23 rounds (or only two opposing divisions on a rotating basis for 18 rounds)..
  • Has Origin revealed a glaring issue in the NRL expansion debate? Short answer is ‘no’ and the longer answer is ‘admitting the Easts Tigers to the NRL does not improve the pathway to Origin for Queenslanders’. The question posed is ‘who are the youngsters coming through?’ to which my response is Reece Walsh is 22 years old and his successor is probably only 12 or 13 years old. It would be deeply weird if you knew who that was. Anyway, the biggest issue with the Tigers’ bid is that it fails to give us a really compelling reason to admit them that the Dolphins don’t already address. A huge potential fanbase whose needs aren’t being met by the NRL would be ideal but seems unlikely to emerge at this stage. Being the fifth NRL North team though, that has legs.

• The one CRISIS that the NRL overlooked with Perth Bears and PNG (bringing in a team in black, red and white, followed by a team in black, red and gold).

Colour clash is real issue.
When did east tigers become Logan / Ipswich?!

BuffaloRules

Coach
that trip on kumul1 sure has paid off in good publicity for the png bid

maybe Cummings should fly some journos over and give them a tour of his cash converters shops

The bus taking them between the shops could be called Pawn 1,,,

Get a guy in a panther suit driving the bus like that cartoon

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

that trip on kumul1 sure has paid off in good publicity for the png bid

maybe Cummings should fly some journos over and give them a tour of his cash converters shops
As a fumbleball fan you're used to your sport getting a free ride from the media.

Ritchie is obviously getting paid for this, just a sample of where the 600mil will go

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why should PNG play in their National colours of yellow, red and black ?.
I think they should look to other colours to play in as those are their International colours.
yellow and red would be good and diff enough to anything else in NRL. They should just get the back list of Catalans Dragons jerseys and pick one! Its a shame Dolphins didnt go with red and grey.

1721801793097.png

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is this what’s it’s like living in an AFL state with a lickspittle media telling you that every decision you make is approaching genius? …

Makes a difference from the David Smith days ..lol…
since Vlandys bought the media with the last tv deal its no different to the afl media control you have all bitched and moaned about for decades lol