What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Giving nrl clubs to the places that want the game ?

seems pretty smart to me

why aren’t you complaining that the wa govt is wasting money on a Perth nrl team that can go to homeless in the state

without wa govt involvement Perth doesn’t get a team

heck Perth can’t even raise the 30 million lincese fee required for a team
Id be fine if WA govt decided to sort out homelessness instead. I am no fan of tax payer money being used to subsidise professional sport. Let the businesses stand on their own feet.
But if your comparing the social issues in perth to the problems in PNG, or the money amount being spent by the two respective govts. then youre way off the reservation.

Pippen94

First Grade
This advertisement was brought to you by the Australian tax payer.

Herald journo wrote lazy article listing two options which don't even exist, while ignoring current 11 applicants. Ritchie actually went to PNG to view situation on the ground. Strange he's copping flack. Rather somebody who actually puts work into piece.

Pippen94

First Grade
Id be fine if WA govt decided to sort out homelessness instead. I am no fan of tax payer money being used to subsidise professional sport. Let the businesses stand on their own feet.
But if your comparing the social issues in perth to the problems in PNG, or the money amount being spent by the two respective govts. then youre way off the reservation.

Lol, you've been talking up wa government money for years. Fed money blows Perth out of water & now it's not important.

Wb1234

Referee
So then no Perth nrl team then

Wb1234

Referee
Perth red and his mates >>> wa govt supports nrl team = good

Also Perth red and his mates >>> png govt shouldn’t support an nrl team. Should focus on water lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
So then no Perth nrl team then
if you're asking me would I rather have a perth nrl club or no homeless people in perth, then yeh Im choosing the latter everyday of the week. Like any decent human being would do. The fact you need to ask makes me wonder about you!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth red and his mates >>> wa govt supports nrl team = good

Also Perth red and his mates >>> png govt shouldn’t support an nrl team. Should focus on water lol
WB:
WA with a $5billion a year budget surplus and one of the most livable cities in the world is same as PNG.

doh.

Wb1234

Referee
if you're asking me would I rather have a perth nrl club or no homeless people in perth, then yeh Im choosing the latter everyday of the week. Like any decent human being would do. The fact you need to ask makes me wonder about you!
Not no homeless

a reduction in homeless that the money spent on a Perth nrl team will achieve

just like the 60 million pa a png nrl team will receive is supposed to solve all of the social issues in png lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not no homeless

a reduction in homeless that the money spent on a Perth nrl team will achieve

just like the 60 million pa a png nrl team will receive is supposed to solve all of the social issues in png lol
ok now I remember why I stopped bothering to reply to you. thanks for the reminder

Wb1234

Referee
Correct. Professional sport isn't a charity. There are bids with a strong business case that will be overlooked so that an unviable one from Port Moresby can be given a licence.
Poor argument

govts get involved in sport all the time

building stadia funding juniors etc
ok now I remember why I stopped bothering to reply to you. thanks for the reminder
Calling you out on your blatant double standards and bs!

Poor argument

govts get involved in sport all the time

building stadia funding juniors etc

PNG is a corrupt and poverty stricken third world country. It lacks basic infrastructure such as reliable electricity, a proper sewerage system and water grid, a road network, hospitals and schools.

People need access to water, electricity, hospitals, schools, transport and food to survive and thrive. A football team is a luxury. Far too many Papuans are starving and dying from treatable conditions because they lack access to basic amenities.

Wb1234

Referee
PNG is a corrupt and poverty stricken third world country. It lacks basic infrastructure such as reliable electricity, a proper sewerage system and water grid, a road network, hospitals and schools.

People need access to water, electricity, hospitals, schools, transport and food to survive and thrive. A football team is a luxury. Far too many Papuans are starving and dying from treatable conditions because they lack access to basic amenities.
What’s 60 million extra a year going to do ?

png already receives close to 600 million pa a year from us to achieve what you said

BuffaloRules

Coach
there is a deeper respect and adoration of AFL in afl cities than Ive seen for NRL in NRL cities, thats for sure. It also seems to permeate a bigger % of the popaultion and across more diverse demographics. Maybe writing negative stories just is less acceptable to the population in afl land than nrl land?
or maybe they have been bribing them longer lol

Well… there are plenty of negative stories written about soccer in England and NFL in the US … do they love and respect their game (s) ? Probably more comfortable they can speak out against it if need be and not be ostracised

What’s 60 million extra a year going to do ?

png already receives close to 600 million pa a year from us to achieve what you said

There isn't much that can be done for PNG because it's a corrupt country.

Whatever money they get will be spent on the wrong things to keep the same people in power.

Why should Australian tax payers prop up a football team from PNG?

PNG acquired independence from Australia 50 years ago. It's very hypocritical for them to put their hand out for $600m from the Aussie tax payer to field a football team in an Australian competition.

Wb1234

Referee
There isn't much that can be done for PNG because it's a corrupt country.

Whatever money they get will be spent on the wrong things to keep the same people in power.
So just cut all the aid then and be done with them ?

the png pm wants it and 60 million a year is peanuts

the issues of png being poor aren’t relevant to this tbh

just another anti png red herring

So just cut all the aid then and be done with them ?

Yes. PNG wanted independence from Australia. They got independence from Australia 50 years ago. I say we hold them to their word and let them be truly independent from the Aussie tax payer.

the png pm wants it and 60 million a year is peanuts

So he's a hypocrite?

On the one hand he wants PNG to be an independent country with its own government. On the hand he wants the Aussie tax payer to give him money to field a football team in an Australian competition.

He's a fat corrupt arsehole and cannot be trusted to look after his people.

the issues of png being poor aren’t relevant to this tbh

Except they really f**king are because PNG's extreme poverty prevents it from being able to support an NRL team without aid from the Aussie tax payer.

just another anti png red herring

It ain't a red herring to point out that a bid that isn't financially viable shouldn't be given an NRL licence. The fact the PNG bid will rely on $29m per annum from the Aussie tax payer makes it unviable.

Maximus

Coach
This is a rugby league forum

if a govt wants to promote rugby league that’s considered a good thing by most normal rugby league fans

not you obviously

Most of us aren't in a cult like you. We are able to criticise aspects of the game that we don't agree with.

Most of us are also living in a cost of living crisis and don't want to see our money wasted on professional sportspeople.