What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Maximus

Coach
Herald journo wrote lazy article listing two options which don't even exist, while ignoring current 11 applicants. Ritchie actually went to PNG to view situation on the ground. Strange he's copping flack. Rather somebody who actually puts work into piece.

He didn't just go there to do it. It's a puff piece paid for by the PNG govt. That is not real journalism.

Wb1234

Referee
Yes. PNG wanted independence from Australia. They got independence from Australia 50 years ago. I say we hold them to their word and let them be truly independent from the Aussie tax payer.

So he's a hypocrite?

On the one hand he wants PNG to be an independent country with its own government. On the hand he wants the Aussie tax payer to give him money to field a football team in an Australian competition.

He's a fat corrupt arsehole and cannot be trusted to look after his people.

Except they really f**king are because PNG's extreme poverty prevents it from being able to support an NRL team without aid from the Aussie tax payer.

It ain't a red herring to point out that a bid that isn't financially viable shouldn't be given an NRL licence. The fact the PNG bid will rely on $29m per annum from the Aussie tax payer makes it unviable.
You should run for png pm

Maximus

Coach
MYTH: PNG DOESN’T HAVE THE MONEY

TRUTH: It’s ill-informed bulls**t. PNG will be among the richest clubs in the NRL, alongside the Brisbane Broncos. The Australian Government’s $600m investment is only part of the financial conglomerate and business plan PNG will build. Papua New Guinea Prime Minister James Marape hosted a dinner last weekend where he asked the top-end-of-town to donate to PNG’s bid – and they will. I’m not talking peanuts here. Yes, the lower class in PNG is poor but the high-flyers are wealthy, exceptionally wealthy.

And PNG rugby league has an influential supporter in its bid chairman, Wapu Sonk, managing director of Kumul Petroleum. This isn’t a Sydney team restricted by suburban boundaries. This is an entire country.

So why haven't they been able to put forward a bid that doesn't include govt money? Surely if the corporates are putting forward so much, they should have had a bid submitted already and don't need to wait for the Aust govt to approve funding?

MYTH: VISITING NRL TEAMS WON’T BE SAFE.

TRUTH: Teams playing PNG will be safe. It’s not their job to worry about what happens away from footy in PNG. They are there to play football and that’s it. Teams will travel on commercial flights and stay at the five-star Stanley Hotel in Port Moresby.

I stayed a night at the Stanley and it’s as good as anything I saw in Las Vegas earlier this year.

Games are likely to be played at the all-seat 15,000 PNG National Football Stadium which is expected to be revamped to a 20,000 arena by 2028, when PNG is hoping to enter the NRL. The dressing rooms and corporate facilities are NRL standard. PNG PM James Marape said NRL players will be treated like “rock stars and royalty.” Opposition teams will be safe and secure, provided some rogue idiot doesn’t wander off into the darkness at night.

Lol at that last sentence. Just proved in 1 sentence that it's not a myth.

MYTH: IMPORTED PLAYERS WILL FEEL THREATENED?

TRUTH: The PNG bid has multiple site options for a village-style resort on Port Moresby Harbour. The complex will varying accommodation options along with shops and supermarkets. Prospective players will be thoroughly informed about the positives and negatives of Port Moresby before signing.

The fear mongering is unfair. Players will be paid well to play well and they’ll train at a yet-to-be-built state-of-the-art high performance centre. They will live in secure accommodation and told when and where they can go during their down time. Buses would take kids to school and Port Moresby General Hospital is the largest hospital in PNG.

These players won’t be the first international athletes who have shifted to another country to pursue their sporting careers. There are already around 10,000 Australians living in PNG.

So they will only be safe if they stay in the complex. They will need to be told when and where they can go on the few times that they are allowed to leave the complex. Totally safe.....

Also lol at having to talk about how big a hospital it has. That doesn't help your argument.

MYTH: PNG DOESN’T HAVE THE PLAYERS TO COMPETE IN THE ELITE NRL.

TRUTH: You bet they bloody do. I watched a 12-team, two-day NRL bid carnival in Goroka last weekend involving 240 players and the standard was unbelievably high. They just need a little more finesse and that will come with time and expert coaching.

Wow they played well against each other, so therefore they are NRL quality.

This is all just blatant propaganda, and even then he still can't hide how dangerous it is.

told when and where they can go during their down time

I can't believe he actually wrote this sentence in an article about why PNG should get a team

MugaB

Coach
it shouldn't be flying journos around in private jets to write fluff pieces instead of spending that money on sorting out basic life necessities, no.
But hey we all have different priorities in life, personally when it comes to govt spending mine leans to public welfare not professional sport.
What happened to the soapbox picture?

MugaB

Coach
Correct. Professional sport isn't a charity. There are bids with a strong business case that will be overlooked so that an unviable one from Port Moresby can be given a licence.
They are only overlooked due to the bid it stands for, not for the money they have or their worthiness, no one denies east tigers are a great candidate for a licence, but dolphins pipped them, and the nrl are looking at areas that aren't SEQ/Brisbane

MugaB

Coach
Not no homeless

a reduction in homeless that the money spent on a Perth nrl team will achieve

just like the 60 million pa a png nrl team will receive is supposed to solve all of the social issues in png lol
So WB1234 you fucƙed up here, there ARE NO homeless in WA as there are No Pokies to make them that way.... also there is no homeless in North Shore, so then there is no need for the WA govt to be involved in funded said team as NS bears are footing the bill for the bid..
Hence why the PR train is full steam ahead for the red and black...

Besides WB, Png is a crime ridden country that doesn't deserve anything from us white anglo aussies, so if they want bejing to build them hospitals and other infrastructure for their backing in any future diplomatic adventure, then they can, we shouldn't care, coz we aren't affected by their corruption, we aren't in the business of caring about anyone but ourselves and our precious and very limited NRL licences, of whom we need to keep aside for when Brisbane 4,5&6 are ready

Wb1234

Referee
Australia raped png for a long time in terms of resources

paying foreign aid back is to make up for this

plus having a large nation on your doorstep which is collapsing
So WB1234 you fucƙed up here, there ARE NO homeless in WA as there are No Pokies to make them that way.... also there is no homeless in North Shore, so then there is no need for the WA govt to be involved in funded said team as NS bears are footing the bill for the bid..

Besides WB, Png is a crime ridden country that doesn't deserve anything from us white anglo aussies, so if they want bejing to build them hospitals and other infrastructure for their backing in any future diplomatic adventure, then they can, we shouldn't care, coz we aren't affected by their corruption, we aren't in the business of caring about anyone but ourselves and our precious and very limited NRL licences, of whom we need to keep aside for when Brisbane 4,5&6 are ready
fhey have a lot of cash converters to make up for it !!!

If you're an expansionist then why aren't you pushing for the three weakest Sydney clubs to permanently relocate to Perth, Port Moresby and Adelaide?

If the NRL did that they could introduce NZ2, Bris3 and NZ3 to round out a 20 team competition. We all know why you won't advocate for something like this. You're a greedy hypocrite who wants to limit Brisbane and New Zealand to just two teams each so Sydney can have nine.

Not only are you not making any sacrifices for expansion. You want a 10th Sydney club to steal Perth's licence so a few nostalgic old wankers from Sydney can get their team back.

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
Giving nrl clubs to the places that want the game ?

seems pretty smart to me

why aren’t you complaining that the wa govt is wasting money on a Perth nrl team that can go to homeless in the state

without wa govt involvement Perth doesn’t get a team

heck Perth can’t even raise the 30 million lincese fee required for a team
Personally I would rather see Aussie dollars stay in Aust than go overseas, PNG wouldn’t even be looked at without Govt support $$$, I am at a loss how locals will afford to attend NRL games, surely they will not be the same entry cost as in Aust.
I am also against this uneven playing field that provides PNG a leg up to attract players to play there.
It will be interesting how the NRL PNG side is treated under the salary cap or will the NRL be lenient with that for them as well ?.
If PNG were coming in as the other bids I would accept them but for me this is just politics, and politics and sport shouldn’t mix.

Centy Coast

Juniors
If you're an expansionist then why aren't you pushing for the three weakest Sydney clubs to permanently relocate to Perth, Port Moresby and Adelaide?

If the NRL did that they could introduce NZ2, Bris3 and NZ3 to round out a 20 team competition. We all know why you won't advocate for something like this. You're a greedy hypocrite who wants to limit Brisbane and New Zealand to just two teams each so Sydney can have nine.

Not only are you not making any sacrifices for expansion. You want a 10th Sydney club to steal Perth's licence so a few nostalgic old wankers from Sydney can get their team back.
Now you want three NZ teams lol, do you remember how long it took the Warriors to get their head above water, yes the Warriors are selling out over in NZ atm but will a 2nd side ?.

Now you want three NZ teams lol, do you remember how long it took the Warriors to get their head above water, yes the Warriors are selling out over in NZ atm but will a 2nd side ?.
I've been an advocate for three NZ teams for a long time. I agree that getting the second and third teams up to standard might take some time, but the potential benefits are enormous. Unlike PNG, we can draw more money from the NZ component of the broadcast rights with three teams.

T to the T

Juniors
I have to make this post every once in a while but forcibly removing teams opens the door to other codes and shows the lessons from the SuperLeague war, and consequential lift for AFL and RU at the turn of the millennium have, still not been learnt (yes, even the Sharks).

I am an RL fan because the above has happened to me (funnily enough because of David Moffett who's involved with the NZ South Island bid... f**k him and everyone who gives him a pass).

Fans of clubs who have been screwed over will not choose another RL team to follow as continuing to follow RL will be a constant reminder of what they once had. They will rather turn their back on the game like a lover scorned as per the above.

I respect your passion for BRL and a 3rd Brisbane team but deathriding other bids and NRL teams is not the best way to advance the cause. I agree that, based on Broncos and Dolphins, Brisbane 3 would be a worthy addition by 2032.

Regarding PNG, are the funds coming out of an already existing foreign aid budget? Seems like an easy win and another dart in the board for RL being the de facto Oceania sport.

I have to make this post every once in a while but forcibly removing teams opens the door to other codes and shows the lessons from the SuperLeague war, and consequential lift for AFL and RU at the turn of the millennium have, still not been learnt (yes, even the Sharks).

I am an RL fan because the above has happened to me (funnily enough because of David Moffett who's involved with the NZ South Island bid... f**k him and everyone who gives him a pass).

Fans of clubs who have been screwed over will not choose another RL team to follow as continuing to follow RL will be a constant reminder of what they once had. They will rather turn their back on the game like a lover scorned as per the above.

I respect your passion for BRL and a 3rd Brisbane team but deathriding other bids and NRL teams is not the best way to advance the cause. I agree that, based on Broncos and Dolphins, Brisbane 3 would be a worthy addition by 2032.

Regarding PNG, are the funds coming out of an already existing foreign aid budget? Seems like an easy win and another dart in the board for RL being the de facto Oceania sport.
What you said about being a lover scorned is exactly why I've lost a lot of interest in the NRL over the last decade. I used to force myself to attend games, despite having poor health that made it a burden. I eventually stopped putting myself through the hassle because the game doesn't care about Queenslanders.

Over the last 24 months I've gone from watching games from kick off to full time to just glancing at them while I play a game on my mobile. Some times I go work in the backyard or on my car instead of watching the football. I no longer have the passion to dedicate several hours a week to watching nothing but football because the game has ripped me off.

I'm sick of hearing how we must cater to selfish old Sydney fans and "potential" fans from fumbleball markets while dyed in the wool BRL fans like myself are told to "f**k off" because we're viewed as second class citizens by people in Redfern and western Sydney who have f**k all teeth. We're expected to prop up the game so that the mongrels running the tiny clubs in Sydney can pocket the money we generate. Whenever NSWRL fans talk about growing the game it's always at the expense of Brisbane. NSWRL fans never sacrifice anything for the greater good of the game, despite most of their clubs being poor as shit and having tiny fanbases that are almost worthless.

Look at the bastards on here who are ejaculating over the Bears attaching themselves to Perth so they can get in via the back door!

These mongrels have no shame and think the world revolves around them. To make it worse, they want Western Australians yo prop up their fantasy of bringing back the Bears.

The PNG bid deserves to be laughed at and mocked because it's f**ken stupid and an insult to the Aussie tax payer. There are hard working tax payers in Australia that are homeless. Giving their taxes to the NRL and PNG is the ultimate betrayal by an out of touch Labor party that doesn't care about the Aussie battler. The fact this PNG team will depend on the Aussie tax payer giving it $29m per annum proves it is not worthy of holding an NRL licence. If old dumb pricks from Sydney reckon it's such a great idea then they can send one of their small clubs to Port Moresby and fund it themselves.

Maybe Mr Albanese can send his beloved Elmer Fudds to Port Moresby?

Latest posts