What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

MugaB

Coach
10 years ago I watched as a Real Northern Irish fella rip apart an English bloke, literally.
He kept calling him a "F*$king Tan!".
I asked him after what he meant by that and that's how I learnt about the name.
So not that long ago.
Again and English fella talking to a Northern Irish fella.... not exactly happening on the Gold Coast with any vigour or relevance

Wb1234

Referee
Newtown and Ipswich form historic partnership to revive the Jets moniker in the NRL

Queensland could have a fifth franchise in the NRL, with the two famous clubs - both known as the Jets - combining to lodge a formal submission on Wednesday with a view to being part of a 20-team league.

Iconic millionaire advertising tycoon John Singleton is among the key backers who have promised about $20 million to help launch the club.

KEY DETAILS OF JETS REVIVAL The team name will simply be called the Jets.

Newtown and Ipswich share the same moniker which they will keep in the name, mirroring that of the Dolphins’ decision to not have a region attached to it; Ipswich and Newtown would be joint owners of the NRL franchise;

The team will be permanently based in Ipswich. They will train at Ipswich and aim to play at least six homes at Suncorp Stadium;

They will wear Ipswich’s traditional green jersey whenever they play in Queensland but outside of Queensland they will have a Newtown Jets-inspired blue kit;

The potential to play one home game at either Henson Park or Leichhardt Oval;

A plan to have an NRL trial at Henson Park where the Jets team will take on a fellow NRL side. The curtain-raiser would be a match between Newtown and Ipswich.

Ipswich are a feeder club to Gold Coast while the Sharks and Newtown have a formal relationship.

The NRL sought expressions of interest last month and Jets chairman Steve Johnson confirmed the western-corridor bid has been re-launched again in their quest to be the code’s 18th team.

“Yes, we have put in a bid,” Johnson said.

“I think Queensland has room for another team.”

“Without talking about the specific merits of any particular bid, the game can easily support another team in Queensland without affecting the existing four clubs.

“The western corridor of Brisbane has a great nursery, it’s the Penrith of Queensland, so we’ve expressed interest and we look forward to the bid process.”

Famous clubs like the Newtown Jets could be part of an FA Cup-style competition being looked at. Picture: NRL Photos

While the Jets are pushing ahead with plans to be part of the NRL’s expansion race, they face an uphill battle to be the next team included.

The Western Bears are expected to be the NRL’s 18th team in 2027 followed by PNG a season later.

However, the 20th franchise is uncertain.

The NRL are expected to choose between another team in Queensland or a second team in New Zealand. Former NRL boss David Moffett is heading up South Island Kea after submitting a bid which would make Christchurch their home.

The Brisbane Tigers, backed by the rich Easts Leagues Club, shape as a major threat to the Jets in the battle to be the NRL’s 20th team by the 2032 Olympics.

Ipswich lost out to the Dolphins three years ago in the battle for the NRL’s 17th licence and there is a view the code cannot ignore the benefits of having the Jets playing in the big league in Brisbane’s western corridor.

The AFL have identified that area as Queensland’s next major sporting growth market and a Newtown-Ipswich joint venture could give the NRL a potent strategic alliance.

“It’s a great partnership between both Jets brands,” a source close to negotiations said.

“The Jets would love to be the NRL’s 18th team but if the NRL is going with the Bears, then they have a lot to offer in a 20-team league.

“The bid is financially robust, the Jets could be operational in the NRL by 2027.”

The NRL’s expansion plans are expected to reach a crescendo at the end of September with plans to make a formal announcement either immediately before or after the grand final.

It is understood that after receiving interest from 11 potential consortiums , the NRL received formal applications from up to nine parties when the bid process was cut off earlier this week.

Head office is expected to spend coming weeks sifting through the bids and conducting further talks with their preferred candidates, before holding talks with their existing clubs and broadcasters to gauge their view on the future.

The ARL Commission will then likely hold a meeting in September to finalise the 18th, 19th and potentially 20th teams. It is believed the south island of New Zealand is viewed as the logical 20th side, although any decision to add another team across the Tasman will depend on the quality of the bids.

This will be Newtown’s second attempt at returning to top flight rugby league for the first time since 1983. They had advanced talks with Western Australia consortium before they partnered with the Bears.

Singleton has publicly backed Newtown’s bid to return.

“I have a commitment to try and get Newtown back into the competition,” Singleton told this masthead in June. “Sometimes you do things in life because you said you would. This is not for any financial benefit to me. I don’t see it as an investment.”

Full article

BuffaloRules

Coach
Newtown and Ipswich form historic partnership to revive the Jets moniker in the NRL

Queensland could have a fifth franchise in the NRL, with the two famous clubs - both known as the Jets - combining to lodge a formal submission on Wednesday with a view to being part of a 20-team league.

Iconic millionaire advertising tycoon John Singleton is among the key backers who have promised about $20 million to help launch the club.

KEY DETAILS OF JETS REVIVAL The team name will simply be called the Jets.

Newtown and Ipswich share the same moniker which they will keep in the name, mirroring that of the Dolphins’ decision to not have a region attached to it; Ipswich and Newtown would be joint owners of the NRL franchise;

The team will be permanently based in Ipswich. They will train at Ipswich and aim to play at least six homes at Suncorp Stadium;

They will wear Ipswich’s traditional green jersey whenever they play in Queensland but outside of Queensland they will have a Newtown Jets-inspired blue kit;

The potential to play one home game at either Henson Park or Leichhardt Oval;

A plan to have an NRL trial at Henson Park where the Jets team will take on a fellow NRL side. The curtain-raiser would be a match between Newtown and Ipswich.

Ipswich are a feeder club to Gold Coast while the Sharks and Newtown have a formal relationship.

The NRL sought expressions of interest last month and Jets chairman Steve Johnson confirmed the western-corridor bid has been re-launched again in their quest to be the code’s 18th team.

“Yes, we have put in a bid,” Johnson said.

“I think Queensland has room for another team.”

“Without talking about the specific merits of any particular bid, the game can easily support another team in Queensland without affecting the existing four clubs.

“The western corridor of Brisbane has a great nursery, it’s the Penrith of Queensland, so we’ve expressed interest and we look forward to the bid process.”

Famous clubs like the Newtown Jets could be part of an FA Cup-style competition being looked at. Picture: NRL Photos

While the Jets are pushing ahead with plans to be part of the NRL’s expansion race, they face an uphill battle to be the next team included.

The Western Bears are expected to be the NRL’s 18th team in 2027 followed by PNG a season later.

However, the 20th franchise is uncertain.

The NRL are expected to choose between another team in Queensland or a second team in New Zealand. Former NRL boss David Moffett is heading up South Island Kea after submitting a bid which would make Christchurch their home.

The Brisbane Tigers, backed by the rich Easts Leagues Club, shape as a major threat to the Jets in the battle to be the NRL’s 20th team by the 2032 Olympics.

Ipswich lost out to the Dolphins three years ago in the battle for the NRL’s 17th licence and there is a view the code cannot ignore the benefits of having the Jets playing in the big league in Brisbane’s western corridor.

The AFL have identified that area as Queensland’s next major sporting growth market and a Newtown-Ipswich joint venture could give the NRL a potent strategic alliance.

“It’s a great partnership between both Jets brands,” a source close to negotiations said.

“The Jets would love to be the NRL’s 18th team but if the NRL is going with the Bears, then they have a lot to offer in a 20-team league.

“The bid is financially robust, the Jets could be operational in the NRL by 2027.”

The NRL’s expansion plans are expected to reach a crescendo at the end of September with plans to make a formal announcement either immediately before or after the grand final.

It is understood that after receiving interest from 11 potential consortiums , the NRL received formal applications from up to nine parties when the bid process was cut off earlier this week.

Head office is expected to spend coming weeks sifting through the bids and conducting further talks with their preferred candidates, before holding talks with their existing clubs and broadcasters to gauge their view on the future.

The ARL Commission will then likely hold a meeting in September to finalise the 18th, 19th and potentially 20th teams. It is believed the south island of New Zealand is viewed as the logical 20th side, although any decision to add another team across the Tasman will depend on the quality of the bids.

This will be Newtown’s second attempt at returning to top flight rugby league for the first time since 1983. They had advanced talks with Western Australia consortium before they partnered with the Bears.

Singleton has publicly backed Newtown’s bid to return.

“I have a commitment to try and get Newtown back into the competition,” Singleton told this masthead in June. “Sometimes you do things in life because you said you would. This is not for any financial benefit to me. I don’t see it as an investment.”

Full article

If it’s an expansion article … it should never been considered offical until you post it ..

flippikat

Bench
Problem is we have 3 places, yet FOUR front-runner options - Western Bears, PNG, NZ 2 (whichever emerges strongest) and Brisbane 3 (ditto).

So who misses out?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Problem is we have 3 places, yet FOUR front-runner options - Western Bears, PNG, NZ 2 (whichever emerges strongest) and Brisbane 3 (ditto).

So who misses out?

I would suggest it will come down to NZ2 v Bris3 for team 20…

i have a preference for NZ2 ..but it is more of a risk … also doesn’t help with the Warriors crying about them

Cactus

Juniors

So who misses out?
Going by how things have been done under the PVL era it would turn on which bids stack up best with long term financial backing.

Since PNG is to have 10 year $600m Gov funding it sits somewhat comfortably on that lone factor.

Based on that (& at a complete guess) I would think maybe NZ2 could miss out.

Iamback

Coach
I would suggest it will come down to NZ2 v Bris3 for team 20…

i have a preference for NZ2 ..but it is more of a risk … also doesn’t help with the Warriors crying about them

Brisbane 3 is the safer bet.

PNG is the vanity project and Perth gives a more national project.

So that leaves NZ 2 as the risker one but fits the NRL international footprint they are after

Wb1234

Referee
Dolphins came in 2023

even if team 20 is pushed out to 2032 that’s only nine years

there is literally no need for another Brisbane team In that time frame

it will hurt the dolphins

a third Brisbane club should only happen when the dolphins are averaging 30k

post 2032 Olympics is the time

BuffaloRules

Coach
Brisbane 3 is the safer bet.

PNG is the vanity project and Perth gives a more national project.

So that leaves NZ 2 as the risker one but fits the NRL international footprint they are after

Not sure about the PNG vanity project … I think the Aust Govt is twisting the NRLs arm and must have promised them something down the track beyond the money we know about…most of which will be spent in PNG

Bukowski

Juniors
I don't think they will decide on team 20 yet. They will see how PNG are going on and off the field first. I can see them having a presence in QLD somewhere, possibly eliminating B3.

Wb1234

Referee
Not sure about the PNG vanity project … I think the Aust Govt is twisting the NRLs arm and must have promised them something down the track beyond the money we know about…most of which will be spent in PNG
Albo is a dead duck

shorten may be replacing him but he’s the one that first promised a png nrl side with help from the Feds

Vlad59

Bench
It’s all about firing shots at the right places at the right time. The afl has wasted a bullet on Tassie. It’s a market they didn’t need to place a team. I reckon they will go aggressively at qld myself as they can’t afford to get the next new club wrong and they won’t be happy about us targeting Perth. They really have a limited option range though. We are talking options in at least three countries.

Iamback

Coach

Yeah but aside from the govt money. They won't bring in more TV money outside of the extra game.

Compare that to the TV networks wanting another Bris Derby to sell to the public.

I do agree that the money will go to schools etc and be a positive for PNG

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yeah but aside from the govt money. They won't bring in more TV money outside of the extra game.

Compare that to the TV networks wanting another Bris Derby to sell to the public.

I do agree that the money will go to schools etc and be a positive for PNG

But it’s not really the NRL’s place to be worried about PNG society… although obviously we all would like to see that improve …

So you have to ask what their motive is… to put themselves through the PNG pain …one theory might be that they will get some legislation introduced that will make it easier to sell streaming rights at the next pay TV deal… i saw some AFL guy crying about this recently…

Iamback

Coach
But it’s not really the NRL’s place to be worried about PNG society… although obviously we all would like to see that improve …

So you have to ask what their motive is… to put themselves through the PNG pain …one theory might be that they will get some legislation introduced that will make it easier to sell streaming rights at the next pay TV deal… i saw some AFL guy crying about this recently…

I think rightly or wrongly it goes with being the biggest sport in the Pacific.

In theory it adds 10m people to the RL audience and a 3rd country with a team to try and get Netflix etc on board.

It looks to be 15 years too early. While I love the boldness to do it, Not sure right at this point in time the other areas don't offer more