What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Referee

Tigers in peril: Balmain plot merger split after ‘losing faith’​

AUGUST 29, 2024

BY ISAAC MCINTYRE
Tigers in peril: Balmain plot merger split after ‘losing faith’

The Balmain board is plotting a shock break from the Western Suburbs that would end the Wests Tigers’ time in the NRL and see both sides of the joint venture battling to stay in rugby league’s top grade.​

The NRL’s licensing agreement with its 17 clubs ends in the next four months and Balmain powerbrokers see it as the perfect time to break away from the Western Suburbs.
Download Our FREE NRL App Here
The hinge here is that Balmain Tigers, who own 10 percent of the Wests Tigers joint venture, would refuse to stay combined with the Wests Magpies, who own 30 percent of the Holman Barnes Group. The HBG (originally Western Suburbs Leagues Club Limited) owns 90 percent of the NRL organisation currently playing in the league.

A vote is expected to be held imminently for all Balmain board members to cast ballots.
74309129 Tigers Fans 240414 Gp4545 2024414142525 1
“I believe the time has come for us to step aside and resurrect the Balmain Tigers,” Balmain director and former Tigers first-grade player Garry Leo told the Sydney Morning Herald on Thursday.
Continuing, Leo said the fans would be the biggest battlefield through the impending split. “We’ve got more of a following than the Wests side of the merger. To be honest, we have lost faith in them. We’re getting Leichhardt upgraded and we could play there every second week. If we can find the right backers, we want a shot at returning to the NRL.
“I don’t think the NRL would continue to allow the Wests Tigers to operate with the Tigers name without any involvement from Balmain. I really do believe the NRL competition needs a Tigers team. And not the Wests Tigers.”

Michael Chammas at the Herald has reported that Balmain has been speaking to 94-year-old billionaire property developer Harry Triguboff, who has supported the Tigers for years, about backing a future Balmain license. Nevil Crichton, a billionaire automotive businessman, has also reportedly been approached recently.
Enter Our Weekly $250 NRL Tipping Comp Here
“If we had the right backers, we could go to the NRL with a proposal to stand alone,” Leo said. “The joint venture hasn’t worked. I’d rather risk ending up in NSW Cup than continuing with the Wests Tigers.”

Scootsie

Juniors
A long way off having a second NRL team, but Melbourne has a rapidly growing League nursery, particularly in the West. I think the growth of the game in a Vic is far outpacing the development in SA.

Scootsie

Juniors

AUGUST 29, 2024

BY ISAAC MCINTYRE

The Balmain board is plotting a shock break from the Western Suburbs that would end the Wests Tigers’ time in the NRL and see both sides of the joint venture battling to stay in rugby league’s top grade.​

The NRL’s licensing agreement with its 17 clubs ends in the next four months and Balmain powerbrokers see it as the perfect time to break away from the Western Suburbs.
The hinge here is that Balmain Tigers, who own 10 percent of the Wests Tigers joint venture, would refuse to stay combined with the Wests Magpies, who own 30 percent of the Holman Barnes Group. The HBG (originally Western Suburbs Leagues Club Limited) owns 90 percent of the NRL organisation currently playing in the league.

A vote is expected to be held imminently for all Balmain board members to cast ballots.
“I believe the time has come for us to step aside and resurrect the Balmain Tigers,” Balmain director and former Tigers first-grade player Garry Leo told the Sydney Morning Herald on Thursday.
Continuing, Leo said the fans would be the biggest battlefield through the impending split. “We’ve got more of a following than the Wests side of the merger. To be honest, we have lost faith in them. We’re getting Leichhardt upgraded and we could play there every second week. If we can find the right backers, we want a shot at returning to the NRL.
“I don’t think the NRL would continue to allow the Wests Tigers to operate with the Tigers name without any involvement from Balmain. I really do believe the NRL competition needs a Tigers team. And not the Wests Tigers.”

Michael Chammas at the Herald has reported that Balmain has been speaking to 94-year-old billionaire property developer Harry Triguboff, who has supported the Tigers for years, about backing a future Balmain license. Nevil Crichton, a billionaire automotive businessman, has also reportedly been approached recently.
“If we had the right backers, we could go to the NRL with a proposal to stand alone,” Leo said. “The joint venture hasn’t worked. I’d rather risk ending up in NSW Cup than continuing with the Wests Tigers.”

Wow. Surely they’re dreaming.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wow. Surely they’re dreaming.
How delusional are they that they think they will get an nrl license? When you’re relying on the hope a 94 year old is going to bank roll you it’s probably time to give it up! Hilarious if they walk away and nrl allow wests tigers to continue as they are.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

AUGUST 29, 2024

BY ISAAC MCINTYRE

Here's your chance Brisbane Tigers, get ready

Latest posts