What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Iamback

Coach
A draft will never work in RL… it’s already been proven to be a restraint of trade legally, and unlike the AFL, RL kids have other options playing Union either here or overseas, and I suspect it wouldn’t take more than a year for it to be challenged again …

in Respect of Perth NRL…they will get reasonable crowds …getting them to watch it on TV and producing juniors will be the main issues ..and we are talking a decades long battle..just like it’s been with the Storm and they aren’t all the way there yet ..

Yep just go to ESL for a year and sign with the club you want here. The draft would be a huge advantage for other codes and ESL.

The timezone is great for us on the East but is the opposite for them, That is why I have liked them linking up with Bears or Jets

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Who said that mate? Most here have said the opposite and that they will in fact struggle to provide NRL players for 10:years ..
There's a few nutters on here who are of the belief that png will start producing players of nrl quality within a few years.

Moving to 20 teams means we need 90 more players. It's one of the risks of expansion, the dilution of the playing pool and competition.

In an ideal world we would move to 18 teams, consolidate for a few years then move to 19, 20.
The lure of Albo's cash and bringing in PNG too early is the biggest risk in expansion.

That said, bring it and let's see how it pans out.

BuffaloRules

Coach
There's a few nutters on here who are of the belief that png will start producing players of nrl quality within a few years.

Moving to 20 teams means we need 90 more players. It's one of the risks of expansion, the dilution of the playing pool and competition.

In an ideal world we would move to 18 teams, consolidate for a few years then move to 19, 20.
The lure of Albo's cash and bringing in PNG too early is the biggest risk in expansion.

That said, bring it and let's see how it pans out.

they have only produced a literal handful of players in the past 30 that have gone on to the NRL …talking about the PNG born and raised guys …

For this to change ... they need to be coaching up 14-15 yr olds through to seniors…. So if that commences next year ( thats still up for debate as I haven’t seen any concrete plans for when that commences ) then that might give some idea of when it might start affecting the numbers that get to the elite levels … it will be a 10 year at least journey ..

You are right .they need 90 new players for three new teams…they are going to have to get these new players from somewhere … and I suspect it won’t be white kids in Sydney and Brisbane making up the majority… maybe NZ can do the heavy lifting initially… but they are going to need PNG and probably other investments in the Islands ..so it’s a big gamble ..

Iamback

Coach
they have only produced a literal handful of players in the past 30 that have gone on to the NRL …talking about the PNG born and raised guys …

For this to change ... they need to be coaching up 14-15 yr olds through to seniors…. So if that commences next year ( thats still up for debate as I haven’t seen any concrete plans for when that commences ) then that might give some idea of when it might start affecting the numbers that get to the elite levels … it will be a 10 year at least journey ..

You are right .they need 90 new players for three new teams…they are going to have to get these new players from somewhere … and I suspect it won’t be white kids in Sydney and Brisbane making up the majority… maybe NZ can do the heavy lifting initially… but they are going to need PNG and probably other investments in the Islands ..so it’s a big gamble ..

I think the investment in extra development officers in PNG will help.

purely on a numbers perspective there would be players in the villages who haven't been discovered.

So finding them is a good 1st step

Wb1234

Immortal
23k TV viewers after 42 years and an ungodly $ figure per viewer, the game is a myth in NSW and QLD, the stadiums full of expats mask the reality.

I saw heaps more Sharks and Panthers gear getting around Brisbane yesterday than Lions gear, there was virtually zero AFL fanfare in the heavily populated southern suburbs that I get around.

If the afl had just paid each viewer 10k a season to watch their games it would’ve got the same result as now but cheaper

Building all those afl sticks on ovals around nsw qld and Canberra when nobody was playing was a huge waste

And all those give away sherrins just get used at lunch time for touch league games

Wb1234

Immortal

How’s it a gamble ?

These are proven rugby league areas that are getting investment and quality pathways

Nrl has the footprint for 24 teams

No rival Aussie sport can match that

BuffaloRules

Coach
How’s it a gamble ?

These are proven rugby league areas that are getting investment and quality pathways

Nrl has the footprint for 24 teams

No rival Aussie sport can match that

How is PNG proven? They have produced a handful of NRL players whom were born and raised there thus far

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
For those criticising the PNG and Victorian track record of producing NRL talent, we need to remember that producing players requires pathways and structures below the NRL, those pathways and structures require investment and PNG and Victoria only now are receiving those funds after all these decades. Hell, even NZ only these last couple of years have received funding to put structure in below the Warriors.

The NRL are doing the right things now to produce more players in the future. PNG will be a reasonable source of players, Victoria and WA will probably always be a small source, but we can build them up to about 10% of the NRL player base quite easily (which is what NSW and QLD do for AFL, about 10% of its players).

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If the afl had just paid each viewer 10k a season to watch their games it would’ve got the same result as now but cheaper

Building all those afl sticks on ovals around nsw qld and Canberra when nobody was playing was a huge waste

And all those give away sherrins just get used at lunch time for touch league games
Still pretending to be a league fan?

Wb1234

Immortal
How is PNG proven? They have produced a handful of NRL players whom were born and raised there thus far
How many nswrl players did Cronulla or Penrith produce before they got their teams in

PNG won the pacific bowl last year and before that defeated gb in a test series

Joey grima is setting up elite pathways now with the 6 million from the feds then when the team gets in all their development officers will be on tax free wages

BuffaloRules

Coach
For those criticising the PNG and Victorian track record of producing NRL talent, we need to remember that producing players requires pathways and structures below the NRL, those pathways and structures require investment and PNG and Victoria only now are receiving those funds after all these decades. Hell, even NZ only these last couple of years have received funding to put structure in below the Warriors.

The NRL are doing the right things now to produce more players in the future. PNG will be a reasonable source of players, Victoria and WA will probably always be a small source, but we can build them up to about 10% of the NRL player base quite easily (which is what NSW and QLD do for AFL, about 10% of its players).

And those pathways can’t be created overnight ..sorry if that seems obvious …but that’s what I’m trying to argue …. It will take a minimum of 10 years for PNG to be producing numbers of NRL athletes…

I can’t even estimate the time span for Vic and WA …decades longer I suspect

BuffaloRules

Coach
How many nswrl players did Cronulla or Penrith produce before they got their teams in

PNG won the pacific bowl last year and before that defeated gb in a test series

Joey grima is setting up elite pathways now with the 6 million from the feds then when the team gets in all their development officers will be on tax free wages

i wasn’t around then mate so I couldn’t tell you ..

Do you think things have changed in 60 years ?

So where are all those PNG players in the NRL ?

Wb1234

Immortal

There was a schoolboys level carnival featuring the best png talent

Not a single Aussie scout showed up

When the nz warriors entered the nrl not many Aussie clubs looked at nz juniors

Then when they made the gf in 2002 every club started looking in nz and now we have 23 percent of all nrl players are from nz

PNG will be the same

Iamback

Coach
And those pathways can’t be created overnight ..sorry if that seems obvious …but that’s what I’m trying to argue …. It will take a minimum of 10 years for PNG to be producing numbers of NRL athletes…

I can’t even estimate the time span for Vic and WA …decades longer I suspect

No they can't be but they have already started. With 3-4 years before they come in that is a big headstart.

Compare that to when WA Reds and Storm came in

Wb1234

Immortal
i wasn’t around then mate so I couldn’t tell you ..

Do you think things have changed in 60 years ?

So where are all those PNG players in the NRL ?

Around ten in super league and championship

Hull kr also have a partnership with their juniors

Perth has never produced many nrl players and is in a state dominated by afl. So waste of money investing in their juniors too ?

Latest posts