What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Wb1234

Immortal
Trolling ..lol …

Having a reasonable expectation of the length of time that it might take to set up meaningful pathways to produce NRL players is not trolling …not saying it won’t happen but to expect it happening in less than 10 years is a pipedream

You have no idea though do you ?

If it’s ten or twenty years who cares ?

Many new clubs took decades to get truly established in the top level png won’t be any different

There’s a lot of money being thrown at it in a serious way like never before

To say it won’t work is kinda dumb tbh

Once the team is in the nrl then yes juniors numbers across png will boom

This article literally says after one pilot program last year they got 700 kids this year

Iamback

Coach
Provided you don’t have immediate expectations of success it’s fine

Depends what you class as immediate success?

I don't see Perth, PNG or Team 20 making the finals in their 1st 5

But in PNG's case

We have a team playing in a 2nd tier comp
A test team made of all 95% local players

That test team had 12 current or former Hunter players.

A handful of players in NRL systems. Another handful playing professionally in UK.

This is with little to no professional development, logic tells you when you add that along side of widening the net to catch more players

For me if you can get the professional players from PNG up to 50 or so then that is success

If some can be elite halves will be helpful

My point exactly, niche inner city game for expats and RL hating, Rugby Union loving soccer mum families
How so? Majority of people tend to go into inner city pubs to watch big games regardless of the sport. The exact same pubs had similar turn outs last year for the Broncos GF. Queenslanders just like to back and support Queensland club’s that are making GF’s, no matter the sport.

This isn’t isolated to one code or another. Once those same clubs in their respective sports go to crap then the bandwagoners disappear. Even Broncos weren’t as well supported when they were challenging for spoons, albeit they were and will always be number 1 in support regardless.

This is a cultural thing in QLD, particularly Brisbane. I remember when the Roar were the best A League club, pubs were packed out for GFs. Now because they suck, doubt anyone even knows when they’re playing. Ditto Reds in 2011 and so on and so forth.

It’s nothing to be threatened over though. Rugby League will always reign supreme.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
You have no idea though do you ?

If it’s ten or twenty years who cares ?

Many new clubs took decades to get truly established in the top level png won’t be any different

There’s a lot of money being thrown at it in a serious way like never before

To say it won’t work is kinda dumb tbh

Once the team is in the nrl then yes juniors numbers across png will boom

This article literally says after one pilot program last year they got 700 kids this year

Mate ..are you fair dinkum not ?

You are creating a straw man ..I am not saying that it “won’t work “..

This entire debate this morning is around how long it will take ..I am saying 10 years is a minimum time frame …could be longer … they have a long way to go

BuffaloRules

Coach

But in PNG's case

A handful of players in NRL systems. Another handful playing professionally in UK.

This is with little to no professional development, logic tells you when you add that along side of widening the net to catch more players

For me if you can get the professional players from PNG up to 50 or so then that is success

We need to see what the plans are to actually develop these professional development pathways …

Throwing money alone at something is no guarantee of success

PNG is at ground zero now in terms of Australian coaching, strength and conditioning programs and sports science …

If they are looking to having some NRL ready local players for 2028..I have proposed an idea previously that commencing next season, each NRL team should take on 2-3 PNG 17-18 yr olds to try to get a few of these up to speed come 2028… Im sure this could be funded out of the $3.5m payment each club is getting for PNG joining the competition

Iamback

Coach
We need to see what the plans are to actually develop these professional development pathways …

Throwing money alone at something is no guarantee of success

PNG is at ground zero now in terms of Australian coaching, strength and conditioning programs and sports science …

If they are looking to having some NRL ready local players for 2028..I have proposed an idea previously that commencing next season, each NRL team should take on 2-3 PNG 17-18 yr olds to try to get a few of these up to speed come 2028

They have taken the Panthers blueprint so it isn't just money getting thrown at it.

The problem with that is coaches want their own style of player. So not sure of the development that will happen if they aren't making the game day side

BuffaloRules

Coach
They have taken the Panthers blueprint so it isn't just money getting thrown at it.

The problem with that is coaches want their own style of player. So not sure of the development that will happen if they aren't making the game day side

so how will they be developed otherwise ? The Hunters dont seem to be providing NRL players so far …

The Panthers blueprint is fine ..but this is more your 10 year plan considering they are starting from pretty much nothing

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like in WA it’s not just the jnr elite pathways that need investment and focus, it’s the quality of coaching and facilities kids need from an early age right through. Within a couple of years of its start up the Pirates sg ball set up was starting to see kids come though who went on to first grade, no reason png and Perth (again) won’t be at least seeing some talent come through within a few years. Won’t be large numbers but quality is probably more important than quantity.

tapping into the size of the jnr png numbers to find that talen young and bring it through in good systems before they then get picked up into the png nrl system will be critical. In WA we set up elite academies that clubs in regions fed into, these kids got more coaching etc and played each other at a higher level. is that what is happening in png now?

Iamback

Coach
so how will they be developed otherwise ? The Hunters dont seem to be providing NRL players so far …

The Panthers blueprint is fine ..but this is more your 10 year plan considering they are starting from pretty much nothing

I'd say the budget that the Hunters have had as opposed to a NRL side has been a big factor to that.

Same reason the Bears in the Perth partnership haven't produced more NRL players

For example that bid team is getting $5m a year from the Aust government for development. What would a 2nd tier club have maybe $1m at most?

So you have more resources for starters. The Penrith model coaches the coaches 1st of all. But they go the various regional areas and run the best players through the same training as the Panthers juniors get.

PNG advertised for 4-6 Development officers who live in the Regions to do this, There would be guys that go from these villages to try out for the local comp who wouldn't even own boots.

So to get these guys some sort of training that kids in Brisbane or Sydney get. This should improve those players so they are coming from a high floor and are starting as better players so can have a higher ceiling once they hit the Hunters.

That is the big difference. NRL clubs can go to a NSW Cup game or a QLD Cup game and get fringe guys who have been in elite programs since the age of 14.
That isn't the case with the Hunters guys at this stage.
They had a much better showing on field this year, Hopefully that is the early stages of the development starting to show

Iamback

Coach
Like in WA it’s not just the jnr elite pathways that need investment and focus, it’s the quality of coaching and facilities kids need from an early age right through. Within a couple of years of its start up the Pirates sg ball set up was starting to see kids come though who went on to first grade, no reason png and Perth (again) won’t be at least seeing some talent come through within a few years. Won’t be large numbers but quality is probably more important than quantity.

tapping into the size of the jnr png numbers to find that talen young and bring it through in good systems before they then get picked up into the png nrl system will be critical. In WA we set up elite academies that clubs in regions fed into, these kids got more coaching etc and played each other at a higher level. is that what is happening in png now?

Yes pretty much players were and in most cases still are very raw in the Hunters team.

The new Development guys for the regions is huge to get more kids better developed early on. Ones who are missed now.

I imagine WA will have similar. A coach/development person is every region hoping to capture more who would fall through the cracks. Also to further develop those who are promising before they move into the Perth setup

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'd say the budget that the Hunters have had as opposed to a NRL side has been a big factor to that.

Same reason the Bears in the Perth partnership haven't produced more NRL players

For example that bid team is getting $5m a year from the Aust government for development. What would a 2nd tier club have maybe $1m at most?

So you have more resources for starters. The Penrith model coaches the coaches 1st of all. But they go the various regional areas and run the best players through the same training as the Panthers juniors get.

PNG advertised for 4-6 Development officers who live in the Regions to do this, There would be guys that go from these villages to try out for the local comp who wouldn't even own boots.

So to get these guys some sort of training that kids in Brisbane or Sydney get. This should improve those players so they are coming from a high floor and are starting as better players so can have a higher ceiling once they hit the Hunters.

That is the big difference. NRL clubs can go to a NSW Cup game or a QLD Cup game and get fringe guys who have been in elite programs since the age of 14.
That isn't the case with the Hunters guys at this stage.
They had a much better showing on field this year, Hopefully that is the early stages of the development starting to show

Im just trying to suggest an idea of getting more local players ready for something approaching NRL standard by 2028 …because it’s a short list now given what we see with current players going onto the NRL …

$5m is not a lot when they have a very low base to begin with … im assuming they will look to employ Australian coaches and trainers which won’t be cheap, along with setting up new training facilities ..

I appreciate they can’t do anything until the team is formally announced … but they better be ready to hit the ground running…

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im just trying to suggest an idea of getting more local players ready for something approaching NRL standard by 2028 …because it’s a short list now given what we see with current players going onto the NRL …

$5m is not a lot when they have a very low base to begin with … im assuming they will look to employ Australian coaches and trainers which won’t be cheap, along with setting up new training facilities ..

I appreciate they can’t do anything until the team is formally announced … but they better be ready to hit the ground running…
The good news is it’s already started in PNG. they need to get j r teams in the qlnd comps asap.
On the back of the western bears announcement I hope to see us back in sg ball at least in 2026.

Iamback

Coach
The good news is it’s already started in PNG. they need to get j r teams in the qlnd comps asap.
On the back of the western bears announcement I hope to see us back in sg ball at least in 2026.

NSWRL comps even allowing for Fiji and NZ have less travel so it is the better to use

Iamback

Coach

Again though. Perth is expected to come into the comp at 2027. Are they any further along with Pathways?
Atleast PNG has started and have an extra 12 months

If every club spent $5m on development we'd have more than enough players

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
How so? Majority of people tend to go into inner city pubs to watch big games regardless of the sport. The exact same pubs had similar turn outs last year for the Broncos GF. Queenslanders just like to back and support Queensland club’s that are making GF’s, no matter the sport.

This isn’t isolated to one code or another. Once those same clubs in their respective sports go to crap then the bandwagoners disappear. Even Broncos weren’t as well supported when they were challenging for spoons, albeit they were and will always be number 1 in support regardless.

This is a cultural thing in QLD, particularly Brisbane. I remember when the Roar were the best A League club, pubs were packed out for GFs. Now because they suck, doubt anyone even knows when they’re playing. Ditto Reds in 2011 and so on and so forth.

It’s nothing to be threatened over though. Rugby League will always reign supreme.
Incorrect, when the Broncos are doing well you see it all over the city, you don't get that with the AFL, it's not even close to the same level of support

Wb1234

Immortal
Mate ..are you fair dinkum not ?

You are creating a straw man ..I am not saying that it “won’t work “..

This entire debate this morning is around how long it will take ..I am saying 10 years is a minimum time frame …could be longer … they have a long way to go

But in PNG's case

PNG numbers will end up matching or beating nz in terms of nrl players per year

Wb1234

Immortal
Again though. Perth is expected to come into the comp at 2027. Are they any further along with Pathways?
Atleast PNG has started and have an extra 12 months

If every club spent $5m on development we'd have more than enough players
That’s the biggest issue

Is existing clubs who pay lip service to junior development

If we had 17 Penrith panthers we would have enough nrl players for 24 teams

Latest posts