What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again though. Perth is expected to come into the comp at 2027. Are they any further along with Pathways?
Atleast PNG has started and have an extra 12 months

If every club spent $5m on development we'd have more than enough players
Arguably perth are staring at a higher development point in many ways. At least our kids have boots and decent fields to play on. There Is also a question of nutrition and the impact that has on body development for a contact sport like RL. Perth started jnr development improvement in 2011, sadly nrl closed the top tier of it down In 2019. The younger tiers of that development are still in operation.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
There's an elephant in the room that hasn't been addressed. There's no secret that a significant reason why 45% of NRL players are of Pacific Islander or Maori descent, because they are naturally big bodied. Scouts look at that when developing players. You can't just make yourself 6 ft four and 100 plus kilos.

Size matters in the NRL. Passion and pathways don't mean much if you don't have the right body type.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s the biggest issue

Is existing clubs who pay lip service to junior development

If we had 17 Penrith panthers we would have enough nrl players for 24 teams
Great in theory, in reality there aren’t 17 nrl club regions with the socio demographic of panthers regions and ergo the number of kids (Polynesian) playing RL. If only everything was so simple!

Iamback

Coach
Arguably perth are staring at a higher development point in many ways. At least our kids have boots and decent fields to play on. There Is also a question of nutrition and the impact that has on body development for a contact sport like RL.

I don't doubt PNG are behind. The question was why hasn't PNG produced more NRL players.

It boils down to resources, In most of these cases. Perth is in this category too

Perth will have a higher % that make it due to reasons mentioned. PNG have a higher player pool so even if their strike rate is 10% of players make it. Opposed to say 30% in Perth.

If they have 4 or 5x the player pool then the net result is the same, As far a player numbers.

Iamback

Coach
There's an elephant in the room that hasn't been addressed. There's no secret that a significant reason why 45% of NRL players are of Pacific Islander or Maori descent, because they are naturally big bodied. Scouts look at that when developing players. You can't just make yourself 6 ft four and 100 plus kilos.

Size matters in the NRL. Passion and pathways don't mean much if you don't have the right body type.

Are PNG people less suited to RL than Samoans?

Samoa has very few test players that are local.

The better comparison is when PNG play Fiji in tests and PNG hold their own.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Are PNG people less suited to RL than Samoans?

Samoa has very few test players that are local.

The better comparison is when PNG play Fiji in tests and PNG hold their own.
So we are comparing a nation of 18 million whose national sport is league with a nation of 1 million?

They shouldn't be holding their own, they should be smashing Fiji.

Iamback

Coach
So we are comparing a nation of 18 million whose national sport is league with a nation of 1 million?

They shouldn't be holding their own, they should be smashing Fiji.

So we should compare a 3rd world country in PNG to Samoa who have guys like Paulo, Luai etc who have grown up in the benefits of Australia?

Fiji have always had a decent amount of NRL players so it skewes the results

Incorrect, when the Broncos are doing well you see it all over the city, you don't get that with the AFL, it's not even close to the same level of support
No you’re wrong and by stating “when broncos are doing well” reinforces my point. Whenever any sports club is doing well, people here support them. When they’re not doing well, bandwagoners drop off. Lions did well, they got a lot of people turn up. Once they suck ass again, that’ll dissipate. Same with Reds, Roar and Titans. Broncos are the exception but not immune. Their support dropped during 2020/21 because they were crap.

Not sure where you live but I’m guessing a lot of your sentiments might be brought up to the surface based on your location in SEQld.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So we should compare a 3rd world country in PNG to Samoa who have guys like Paulo, Luai etc who have grown up in the benefits of Australia?

Fiji have always had a decent amount of NRL players so it skewes the results
You're getting it. Development in PNG is going to take a lot more than a few years of pathways, and some bloke called Joe Grima.

Do yourself a favour so you don't look like a complete goose and look up Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia. Samoans and Papuans aren't the same mate.

Great in theory, in reality there aren’t 17 nrl club regions with the socio demographic of panthers regions and ergo the number of kids (Polynesian) playing RL. If only everything was so simple!
You’ll be surprised. Broncos with Logan, Dolphins with North Lakes, Titans with Mudgreeba and Coomera are like for like.

Warriors, Cowboys & Knights have their fair share as well.

Dogs, Eels, Tigers (if they actually embrace MacArthur) aren’t far off.

Raiders have a growing population within their catchment.

Thats 10 clubs who might not match Panthers but they’re not that far off. The 3 SEQld clubs are pretty much there and their issue is more talent scouts identifying prospects rather than player pool.

Thats leaves the other Sydney clubs and Storm. Those I’m unsure on but given Sharks junior numbers boom, I’d say they’re not far off the western Sydney clubs (minus Panthers).

Iamback

Coach
You're getting it. Development in PNG is going to take a lot more than a few years of pathways, and some bloke called Joe Grima.

Do yourself a favour so you don't look like a complete goose and look up Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia. Samoans and Papuans aren't the same mate.

Where did I say it will take a few years?

I have answered the question as to why PNG haven't created more NRL players.

In theory if you can bring the same systems the rest of the NRL world gets, Then why would PNG players not improve their standard?

That is what the aim with PNG would be

Then we keep the fiji to PNG comparison then. Fiji players are suitable for NRL with the correct development. Many examples of this as proof

Iamback

Coach
You’ll be surprised. Broncos with Logan, Dolphins with North Lakes, Titans with Mudgreeba and Coomera are like for like.

Warriors, Cowboys & Knights have their fair share as well.

Dogs, Eels, Tigers (if they actually embrace MacArthur) aren’t far off.

Raiders have a growing population within their catchment.

Thats 10 clubs who might not match Panthers but they’re not that far off. The 3 SEQld clubs are pretty much there and their issue is more talent scouts identifying prospects rather than player pool.

Thats leaves the other Sydney clubs and Storm. Those I’m unsure on but given Sharks junior numbers boom, I’d say they’re not far off the western Sydney clubs (minus Panthers).

Yeah Sharks are 2nd to Penrith for player numbers

You’re right but there’s always room for smaller bodies too. The likes of Cotter and Martin hold their own against the biggest of Pacific Islander players.

BuffaloRules

Coach
PNG numbers will end up matching or beating nz in terms of nrl players per year

I doubt it … There are more than 160 players in the NRL who were born in NZ….

I would be happy if the PNG number could get to 50 down the track …that would be a major success

Wb1234

Immortal
I doubt it … There are more than 160 players in the NRL who were born in NZ….

I would be happy if the PNG number could get to 50 down the track …that would be a major success

Population and dominant football code

Latest posts