What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Qld clubs
Nz
Parra
Souths
Sharks
Dragons
Newcastle
Penrith

All do well for juniors
Do you have any data to back up this claim?

it’d be interesting to know how many of a clubs first grade players came from their sg ball age side. how many were actually proper jnrs from their region and how many nrl first grade players came from which clubs sg ball age teams.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
No you’re wrong and by stating “when broncos are doing well” reinforces my point. Whenever any sports club is doing well, people here support them. When they’re not doing well, bandwagoners drop off. Lions did well, they got a lot of people turn up. Once they suck ass again, that’ll dissipate. Same with Reds, Roar and Titans. Broncos are the exception but not immune. Their support dropped during 2020/21 because they were crap.

Not sure where you live but I’m guessing a lot of your sentiments might be brought up to the surface based on your location in SEQld.
You've got to be kidding mate, the support for both teams isn't even close. The TV ratings will show that quite clearly. The Broncos averaged nearly 40k this year in a terrible season and you see way more Broncos gear around town that Lions gear,.

Wb1234

Immortal
You've got to be kidding mate, the support for both teams isn't even close. The TV ratings will show that quite clearly. The Broncos averaged nearly 40k this year in a terrible season and you see way more Broncos gear around town that Lions gear,.
Kevvie getting sacked would get more publicity than Lions winning a flag

Heck a bronco doing a burp would also do that

I’m not comparing their support. You’re clearly not reading this properly. I’m saying, quite simply, that Lions Reds Roar are well supported when they are winning and when they are losing, their supporters disappear into thin air. Brisbane-ites back a winner and seemingly take a hike around the time of losers.

I also said Broncos are well supported regardless however that has dropped a bit when they were proper crap. I’m talking specifically in the small sample size of 20/21 seasons when they were spoon contenders.

How you confused that to even conceive your reply I don’t know.

So unless you live out somewhere like in Jacob’s Well where there isn’t that many people around, I don’t know where you’re going around in Brisbane but it was quite evident there were many Lions supporters around especially this weekend because 1) they’re winning and 2) were in a GF. Inner city pubs were packed.

Learn to read shit properly before relying champ especially if you’re arguing a completely different point that wasn’t even brought up to begin with.

But we digress. Back to NRL expansion and team #18.

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m not comparing their support. You’re clearly not reading this properly. I’m saying, quite simply, that Lions Reds Roar are well supported when they are winning and when they are losing, their supporters disappear into thin air. Brisbane-ites back a winner and seemingly take a hike around the time of losers.

I also said Broncos are well supported regardless however that has dropped a bit when they were proper crap. I’m talking specifically in the small sample size of 20/21 seasons when they were spoon contenders.

How you confused that to even conceive your reply I don’t know.

So unless you live out somewhere like in Jacob’s Well where there isn’t that many people around, I don’t know where you’re going around in Brisbane but it was quite evident there were many Lions supporters around especially this weekend because 1) they’re winning and 2) were in a GF. Inner city pubs were packed.

Learn to read shit properly before relying champ especially if you’re arguing a completely different point that wasn’t even brought up to begin with.

But we digress. Back to NRL expansion and team #18.
Nice story, I'm in Logan / Mt Gravatt area, heavily populated f**k all Lions gear getting around at all this last week.

Nice story, I'm in Logan / Mt Gravatt area, heavily populated f**k all Lions gear getting around at all this last week.
Except there’s a bloody Lions club smack bang in the middle of Springwood. Quite literally in Logan. 7 mins up the highway from Mt Gravatt.

The Glen was also packed. I mention this because it’s a big pub not inner city.

This isn’t a debate over code vs code. I’m simply arguing against your point that these other codes aren’t supported well in Brisbane. When in fact they are when local teams are actually winning. Can’t emphasis this enough, winning.

Stop going to just Garden City and get out more.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
Except there’s a bloody Lions club smack bang in the middle of Springwood. Quote literally in Logan. 7 mins up the highway from Mt Gravatt.

Also The Glen was packed. I mention this because it’s a big pub not inner city.

So what you’re saying is you don’t know wtf you’re talking about or don’t go out much.
I lived in Brisbane for about 4 years, 2 in Greenslopes and 2 in Hamilton. Never had 1 conversation about AFL or seen any apparel unless I was near the gabba when there was a game on.
Nobody in the general public gives 2 f**ks about AFL in Brisbane apart from Vic expats
People tuning in for a grand final means as much as the Victorians watching State of Origin.

I lived in Brisbane for about 4 years, 2 in Greenslopes and 2 in Hamilton. Never had 1 conversation about AFL or seen any apparel unless I was near the gabba when there was a game on.
Nobody in the general public gives 2 f**ks about AFL in Brisbane apart from Vic expats
People tuning in for a grand final means as much as the Victorians watching State of Origin.
I live here now and have sponsored multiple junior clubs therefore as a perk get free tickets or corporate boxes to Suncorp and at times Gabba mainly due to cricket. Plenty of fans around. Nothing like Broncos, never was a comparison or will be a comparison but when Roar or Reds or Lions were doing well Suncorp and Gabba was much fuller than when those sides suck.

I don’t understand the attempted argument here considering Brisbane wants to be a town where all their sporting sides are competitive and well supported.

Brisbane-ites back a winner and disappear when they become losers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I live here now and have sponsored multiple junior clubs therefore as a perk get free tickets or corporate boxes to Suncorp and at times Gabba mainly due to cricket. Plenty of fans around. Nothing like Broncos, never was a comparison or will be a comparison but when Roar or Reds or Lions were doing well Suncorp and Gabba was much fuller than when those sides suck.

I don’t understand the attempted argument here considering Brisbane wants to be a town where all their sporting sides are competitive and well supported.

Brisbane-ites back a winner and disappear when they become losers.
Maybe its a Sydney, and to some degree Melbourne thing?
Perth is very similar to Brisbane, people will get behind the local team if its doing well, regardless of favoured sport. At times basketball, soccer and union have all had comp leading crowd avg's in Perth.

Maybe its a Sydney, and to some degree Melbourne thing?
Perth is very similar to Brisbane, people will get behind the local team if its doing well, regardless of favoured sport. At times basketball, soccer and union have all had comp leading crowd avg's in Perth.
Wouldn’t be a Melbourne thing. Aren’t they the self crowned sporting city of the world?

Could also be a socioeconomic thing as well why some people think certain sports aren’t well supported in certain places when it couldn’t be further from the truth. No club will ever trump Broncos and no code will trump rugby league here but then again no club is trying to either, and AFL support is based on them winning.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Except there’s a bloody Lions club smack bang in the middle of Springwood. Quite literally in Logan. 7 mins up the highway from Mt Gravatt.

The Glen was also packed. I mention this because it’s a big pub not inner city.

This isn’t a debate over code vs code. I’m simply arguing against your point that these other codes aren’t supported well in Brisbane. When in fact they are when local teams are actually winning. Can’t emphasis this enough, winning.

Stop going to just Garden City and get out more.
They weren't really considering it was a Grand Final. Nice try, AFL isn't really a thing here

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Correct

They weren't really considering it was a Grand Final. Nice try, AFL isn't really a thing here
You keep believing in your fairy tales buddy whilst being scared of the invisible monster. It’s a thing and it’s got its supporters. These people exist whether you like it or not. For the most part a lot of them are Broncos fans as well.

The irony is that the biggest local sports clubs in Mt Gravatt (your area) is the Vultures (afl) followed by Hawks (soccer). Shows how much you actually know about your own city and the support various clubs and sports here have.

Says who? AFL house propaganda? Brisbane is RL 1st, daylight 2nd everything else irrelevant
Says the people who live here and have a sense of local pride. When the local teams are winning they show up, doesn’t matter the sport. However when teams suck that’s when only true supporters stick around and for the most part that’s Rugby League but even then it’s not 100% immune.

I’ll never understand how people living, working (and even putting money in to) in their local area would know more than folks with engendered biases, half a brain living or a 1000+km away.

Anyway.
Bring on Perth.

Latest posts