What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19th licence, who is it?

Who's up Next?

• Perth Bears

• East Tigers (S.E.Q)

• Nz Keas/ Christchurch

• Fiji

• Somewhere else SA, Vic2, SC, CC, CQ etc

• Western Coridor Jets S.E.Q

Results are only viewable after voting.

MugaB

Coach

Luai sees value in eventual Pasifika side in NRL​

By Scott Bailey
Jarome Luai says the NRL should be eyeing off a composite Pasifika side in its expansion plans. Photo: Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS

Jarome Luai says the NRL should be eyeing off a composite Pasifika side in its expansion plans.

Jarome Luai believes the NRL should consider further moves into the Pacific Islands, backing the prospect of a Polynesian team in future rounds of expansion.
Wednesday marked D-Day for the NRL's growing list of expansion hopefuls, as the game considers its path to 20 teams in the early stages of the next decade.
Perth remain the favourites to enter the NRL in 2027 as part of an alliance with North Sydney, while Papua New Guinea are expected to follow in 2028.

Several bid teams have also been working on a South Island of New Zealand option as the 20th club, while there is also a push for another team in Queensland.
But long term, Luai believes a composite side from Polynesia should follow Papua New Guinea into the competition, with a Fijian team to enter NSW Cup in coming years.
Luai, seen playing for Samoa, says a composite Polynesian side would be 'gangsta'. (Craig Golding/AAP PHOTOS)

Luai, seen playing for Samoa, says a composite Polynesian side would be 'gangsta'.

A composite Moana Pasifika side already competes in Super Rugby, and Luai - who will switch from Penrith to Wests Tigers for 2025 - believes the NRL could one day follow suit.

"You've seen (All Blacks star) Ardie Savea do it and put his hand up for Moana. How big that was for their game," Luai said.
"In the future, see what happens. Polynesians are a big part of our game right now,
"In terms of the NRL and what it's made up of, it would be pretty smart to tap into that in the future.
"To expand, if the game wants to grow, they need to tap into where the game means the most to the countries and their people.
"I don't know if that would be fair (to other sides). A combination would be pretty gangsta. To see that, island nations coming together to create a team."
Luai has also vowed to play for Samoa on their historic end-of-year tour of England, meaning he will not join Wests Tigers training until late in the pre-season.

"I'll be there (in England)," Luai said.
"I made a pact with myself after the World Cup to say if I am healthy and the body is right to play, then I am going to play.
"I just want to create that culture for the future. For other boys watching along, and the little Samoan boys in their villages watching the game, they want to see it.
"If I am healthy, the body is right and the mind is right, then I will be right to play."
Luai is also heartened by the number of Polynesian halves suddenly emerging in the NRL, an area which has traditionally been lacking.
He will mark up on Melbourne's Maori halfback Jahrome Hughes on Thursday night, while 20-year-old Isaiya Katoa is impressing at the Dolphins.
"I love that, it's definitely a motivating factor for ourselves to do well in that role and inspire the next generation," he said.

"I don't think there have been many Poly halves for NSW, so that was a cool thing for myself to establish that.
"Just to see the boys coming through now, all the Poly halves out there, it's pretty cool to see."

final say

Juniors

Luai sees value in eventual Pasifika side in NRL​

By Scott Bailey
Jarome Luai says the NRL should be eyeing off a composite Pasifika side in its expansion plans. Photo: Mark Evans/AAP PHOTOS

Jarome Luai says the NRL should be eyeing off a composite Pasifika side in its expansion plans.

Jarome Luai believes the NRL should consider further moves into the Pacific Islands, backing the prospect of a Polynesian team in future rounds of expansion.
Wednesday marked D-Day for the NRL's growing list of expansion hopefuls, as the game considers its path to 20 teams in the early stages of the next decade.
Perth remain the favourites to enter the NRL in 2027 as part of an alliance with North Sydney, while Papua New Guinea are expected to follow in 2028.

Several bid teams have also been working on a South Island of New Zealand option as the 20th club, while there is also a push for another team in Queensland.
But long term, Luai believes a composite side from Polynesia should follow Papua New Guinea into the competition, with a Fijian team to enter NSW Cup in coming years.
Luai, seen playing for Samoa, says a composite Polynesian side would be 'gangsta'. (Craig Golding/AAP PHOTOS)'gangsta'. (Craig Golding/AAP PHOTOS)

Luai, seen playing for Samoa, says a composite Polynesian side would be 'gangsta'.

A composite Moana Pasifika side already competes in Super Rugby, and Luai - who will switch from Penrith to Wests Tigers for 2025 - believes the NRL could one day follow suit.

"You've seen (All Blacks star) Ardie Savea do it and put his hand up for Moana. How big that was for their game," Luai said.
"In the future, see what happens. Polynesians are a big part of our game right now,
"In terms of the NRL and what it's made up of, it would be pretty smart to tap into that in the future.
"To expand, if the game wants to grow, they need to tap into where the game means the most to the countries and their people.
"I don't know if that would be fair (to other sides). A combination would be pretty gangsta. To see that, island nations coming together to create a team."
Luai has also vowed to play for Samoa on their historic end-of-year tour of England, meaning he will not join Wests Tigers training until late in the pre-season.

"I'll be there (in England)," Luai said.
"I made a pact with myself after the World Cup to say if I am healthy and the body is right to play, then I am going to play.
"I just want to create that culture for the future. For other boys watching along, and the little Samoan boys in their villages watching the game, they want to see it.
"If I am healthy, the body is right and the mind is right, then I will be right to play."
Luai is also heartened by the number of Polynesian halves suddenly emerging in the NRL, an area which has traditionally been lacking.
He will mark up on Melbourne's Maori halfback Jahrome Hughes on Thursday night, while 20-year-old Isaiya Katoa is impressing at the Dolphins.
"I love that, it's definitely a motivating factor for ourselves to do well in that role and inspire the next generation," he said.

"I don't think there have been many Poly halves for NSW, so that was a cool thing for myself to establish that.
"Just to see the boys coming through now, all the Poly halves out there, it's pretty cool to see."
Just run, pass or kick.. thinking isn't your thing.

Latest posts