What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Grade Named-Todd In #6!

Timbo

Staff member
Carney given pivotal role

April 19, 2005

The Canberra Raiders have named skipper Simon Woolford in their team for Sunday’s match against the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium, pending tomorrow night’s judiciary hearing.

The Raiders reviewed tapes this morning and decided to contest Woolford’s grade 1 careless high tackle charge resulting from last Sunday’s match against Manly at Brookvale. Woolford’s case is at 6pm.

Meanwhile, the Raiders have replaced their oldest play-maker with their youngest, 18-year-old Todd Carney to take over from 33-year-old Jason Smith in the number six jumper on Sunday.

Smith will miss two games on suspension and is also recovering from a badly bruised sternum, giving Carney his chance in the NRL.

Carney made his NRL debut for the Raiders last season and played four matches, going on to represent the Junior Kangaroos at the end of the year. The Goulburn junior has been dominant in Premier League this season, biding his time for this opportunity.

“It’ll be a big step up but playing a little NRL last year has helped with my form this season,” Carney said. “I’ve been happy with the way I’m playing and I’m still looking to keep improving.”

Smith has been a key to Canberra’s positive start to 2005, giving the Raiders direction in attack. Carney, who is on a long term contract with the Raiders until the end of 2008, has been watching and learning from Smith.

“I’m going out there to talk and get the team around the paddock like I have been in Premier League, then take my options when they come,” Carney said.

”I’ll probably talk to Smithy before Sunday’s game and get a bit of advice. He’s been going good and it’s going to be a loss for the club, but hopefully I can come in and do the job.”

Forwards Alan Tongue and Michael Hodgson have both been named to make their comebacks from rib injuries, but centre Craig Frawley (calf) and prop Michael Weyman (ankle) will need another week on the sidelines.

RAIDERS v STORM
Sunday, April 24, 2.30pm
At Canberra Stadium

1 Clinton Schifcofske
2 Matt Gafa
3 Phil Graham
4 Adam Mogg
5 David Howell
6 Todd Carney
7 Lincoln Withers
8 Ben Cross
9 Simon Woolford
10 Troy Thompson
11 Matt Adamson
12 Kris Kahler
13 Jason Croker

INTERCHANGE
14 Marshall Chalk
15 Josh Miller
16 Alan Tongue
17 Michael Hodgson
18 Ian Hindmarsh
19 Tyran Smith

woodgers

Bench
18 Ian Hindmarsh
19 Tyran Smith
Holy big ones, they might get dropped. I still think it won't happen but he has put them on notice by placing those numbers on their backs. If Elliott plans on playing Croker at 5/8 for the 1st 20 he will have to pick one of them I would say.

6 Todd Carney
Elliott is clawing his way into my good books :D

Raider Crusader

Juniors
Chalk should be playing wing instead of Gafa... #-o, but overall, a decent looking team - even without Smith (and possibly Woolford)

raidersfan

Juniors
Timbo said:
INTERCHANGE
14 Marshall Chalk
15 Josh Miller
16 Alan Tongue
17 Michael Hodgson
18 Ian Hindmarsh
19 Tyran Smith

I like the starting 13 except I think the bench looks too lite. Now would've been a good time to bring in Jason williams or Ben jones or Raston. Good to see Elliot might drop Hindmarsh and Tyran. I'm Thinking frawley was a bad buy #-o he has heaps of protental but is always phuking injured. He's as frail as Robbo.

Brimmer

Juniors
not a bad side I must say....

Maybe he reads the forums? :shock:

Campo must feel a bit unlucky but his time will come....

Brimmer said:
Campo must feel a bit unlucky but his time will come....

But will he run on in the number 20 if Woolford doesn't get off the suspension?? That surely wont be made public until an hour prior to kick off, if it comes to it....maybe not an hour, because those at the ground early will see the reggies side run around.

Please not Tonguey at hooker [-o<

Raider Crusader

Juniors
If Woolford is out, then Tongue will probably move from the bench to hooker. Or, Withers to hooker, Carney to halfback, and Campese comes into the side at five eighth. I would think that Tongue would be the most likely to replace Woolford though...

raidersfan

Juniors
Raider Crusader said:
Who's Captain?? that is if woolford doesn't play. Croker?
GO THE RAIDERS!!!
Who's Captain?? that is if woolford doesn't play. Croker?

Um...u only need to write that once, but yeah, probably Croker.

opps

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Woolford will probably get suspended. If so Withers IMo will move to hooker, Carney to half and Croker at no.6. Hindmarsh or Smith on the bench.

The other option is Keep Croker at lock, move Withers to Hooker and start with Campese and Carney in the halves.

Another option is keep everyone where they are, start Tongue at hooker and Hindmarsh or Smith selected.

legend

Coach
Is Elliott taking the view of the fans on board when picking the side because I find it a little bit odd he has dropped both Smith and Hindmarsh in line with our scathing remarks about their performance last week?

Or maybe he saw what we saw and made up his own mind? :lol:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'd be surprised and dissapointed if Elliott was picking his side based on what this lot thinks. We'd have quite the strange side.

Timbo

Staff member
At least we'd have no Tyran, and Carney'd have 20+ FG games experience by now.

Timbo

Staff member
:lol:

It's taken less than a day for someone to comment on it....I'm suprised....I expected it to happen much faster :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts