What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
The NRL won't listen.

One of the corporate managers i asked a few years ago about this.

He said we specifically asked for either of these 2 teams back in 2022 to play against in darwin

Canberra or Melbourne I believe and they gave us the cowboys that season. The club weren't happy about it

The fact they have given us Broncos and Dolphins the following 2 years either the club has given up or the NRL won't listen.

The club should never give up. They should put up a stink and make as much noise as possible and be a pain in the NRL's arse to the point that the NRL just give us what we want to shut us the fu*k up.

We should also use our mates in the media, to help us get the right message out there and that the NRL are doing the wrong thing by disadvantaging us and that we will be forced to give the deal away and therefore all that great publicity and work we are doing for free in spreading the gospel up there will be lost to the game. Oh wait what mates in the media?

TheRam

Coach
Well that's on the club to sell itself to alternative suitors.

Shouldn't be hard when we claim to have the biggest membership in Sydney.

There is some place better then Darwin. That we can get 1million bucks off.

Go in the other direction and play in Tasmania when the new stadium is up and running.

None of us will be surprised when the NRL schedules us to play in July/August against the Storm or Raiders of course.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If they make it clear that their preference is to get Gutherson straight away, they leave themselves open to accusations of hypocrisy if they stand in Ben Hunt’s way should he get the chance to play elsewhere in 2025 as part of an offer from a rival club.
They can’t happily take Gutherson, who has another year remaining on his deal, off Parramatta’s hands and then tell Hunt he has to honour the final year of his contract.
Why not? If Parramatta wanted to keep Gutherson we would be telling him the same thing. Both sides have to agree to break a contract.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Was that the famous game Dylan Brown played in the centres
And Perham on the wing. We were down five outside backs that week:

Blake
Niukore
Opacic
Russell
Sivo

But the same team belted the Knights the week before. No merkin knew they were going to shit themselves in Darwin that week, just as they have done every year since.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Many in the game have stated that the salary cap was not originally meant to be for spreading the talent, and that the draft was the main driver in doing this, but since the draft was ruled illegal then they tinkered as much as possible to create as much an affect as possible in doing it, but as we can all see it doesn't work all that well.

Even Phil Gould has spoken about this numerous times and on this subject I will go with his assessment over yours or any other ill informed fan.
The game is much better balanced under the salary cap than it was. For example, shit teams can sign star players now. They might have to overpay for them but they can at least get them. Think back to the pre-NRL days. All the best players just moved between the richest half dozen clubs.

Tiger5150

Bench
If the NRL deem a TPA is used to entice a player to sign at one club over another then it will be counted under the cap. They’ve done it before. If Nike is paying Cleary $6M I don’t think they give a shit which club he plays for. But a $100k TPA from a club partner is probably going on the cap.
Oh really? So when I gave the exact example of Craig Wing, who literally went to court to show it was unrelated to his Roosters Contract, you replied "They don't stop any player from signing any contracts. What they do is make it count under the salary cap that clubs agreed to, under threat of playing for no competition points."?

Again you have no idea what you are talking about and just twist in circles.pretty boring actually.

Tiger5150

Bench
No. The court determined NRL couldn’t stop Wing signing a TPA under his playing contract.
Why? Did it rhyme with "Restraint of slade"?

It didn’t stipulate that they couldn’t impose penalty on teams where the NRL find that such arrangements should be leveled against a teams salary cap.
It wasnt asked to because it would be a restraint of trade.

Multiple CBAs have also been agreed since then that ratifies the position. Restraints of trade occur all the time, it doesn’t mean they are always illegal.
You have said this a couple of times like its a real thing. What position? Point me to where the CBA mentions including TPA's completely separate to the club within the salary cap.

I may have missed a post but it seems like you’re the only one bringing up these ridiculous situations. If he did and it was determined that Penrith were the ones who stipulated it in his contract, then yes it would be included under their cap. Chinry still gets paid and still gets to play. There is no restraint of trade. The “restraint” is on Smugs then being penalised competition points, but this is a tenuous restraint of trade, Smugs have already agreed to the rules of the salary cap thus allowing the restraint and it’s even more enforceable by the fact the NRL are the ones who essentially pay for the clubs players salaries.

What the hell are you talking about. My example is very clear in that the hypothetical has nothing to do with the club. Seriously, what are you going on about?
FMD… I must have missed a post…
Clearly
If it is unrelated it’s not included against the salary cap of the club, if it is related it is included. Given more a shit, I could find the part where players must declare TPAs are either legit or not. But no they don’t need to say an amount if it’s unrelated.
Glad we finally got there....you are welcome.

Tiger5150

Bench
Weekend Read: Dragons’ hunt for Clunt Gutherson carries real risks for the club
St George Illawarra’s open pursuit of Clint Gutherson risks giving the Dragons’ wantaway star Ben Hunt all the ammunition he needs in his own battle against the club, writes BRENT READ.

The Dragons have made no secret of their desire to speak to Parramatta captain Clint Gutherson about his plans in coming days and weeks.
If they get their way, Gutherson will be with them next year. He wants a contract extension and the Eels aren’t prepared to give him one just yet.
The Dragons will, but it is understood their preference is to get their hands on Gutherson for 2025 when there is still plenty of juice left in his legs.
The quiet whisper is that will be Gutherson’s preference as well if he decides he wants a move, which seems likely.
He wants to play fullback, and the Dragons will give him that opportunity.
He wants an extension, and the Dragons will come to the party.
Here’s the bind though for the Dragons.

If they make it clear that their preference is to get Gutherson straight away, they leave themselves open to accusations of hypocrisy if they stand in Ben Hunt’s way should he get the chance to play elsewhere in 2025 as part of an offer from a rival club.
They can’t happily take Gutherson, who has another year remaining on his deal, off Parramatta’s hands and then tell Hunt he has to honour the final year of his contract.
Coach Shane Flanagan and chair Andrew Lancaster will need to handle their next move delicately, but the more the club’s dirty linen gets aired, the more untenable Hunt’s future becomes at the Dragons.
His interview on the pages of this newspaper last weekend exposed the simmering tension between the Dragons and their captain. In an interview with colleague Michael Carayannis, Hunt made it clear he felt let down by the club.
He thought he would get an extension after talks earlier in the season but the Dragons now want to take their time. He was disappointed with aspects of his end of season review finding their way into the media.

He put himself on a collision course with key powerbrokers and walked a fine line when he claimed the Dragons should sign Gutherson and play him at five-eighth - the No.6 jersey is worn by Shane Flanagan’s son Kyle.
Some have suggested the comment was Hunt’s way of suggesting they let him go, which would mean Flanagan moved to halfback and Gutherson played five-eighth.
Either way, it went down like a lead balloon at Dragons HQ given Hunt is their highest paid player and many would argue he didn’t play to his pay cheque this season.

The Hunt for Clunt.....sounds like an 80's action movie

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Oh really? So when I gave the exact example of Craig Wing, who literally went to court to show it was unrelated to his Roosters Contract, you replied "They don't stop any player from signing any contracts. What they do is make it count under the salary cap that clubs agreed to, under threat of playing for no competition points."?

Again you have no idea what you are talking about and just twist in circles.pretty boring actually.
This is the same Craig Wing who left the game while David Gallop was still CEO? I'm pretty sure the game has been under new management for quite a while since Wing's contract issues.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why? Did it rhyme with "Restraint of slade"?

It wasnt asked to because it would be a restraint of trade.

You have said this a couple of times like its a real thing. What position? Point me to where the CBA mentions including TPA's completely separate to the club within the salary cap.

What the hell are you talking about. My example is very clear in that the hypothetical has nothing to do with the club. Seriously, what are you going on about?

Clearly

Glad we finally got there....you are welcome.
You know clubs have been stripped premiership points (and premierships in one case) for trying to pay players outside the salary cap via TPAs?

Gronk

Staff member
Cannot compare it to Townsville.
You know you totally overlooked the rest of my post, because whilst I mentioned Townsville, I also referred to August in Darwin.

Why don't we play in the peak of the winter, in the middle of the dry? July / August is low 20's 60% humidity at night.

Tiger5150

Bench
This is the same Craig Wing who left the game while David Gallop was still CEO? I'm pretty sure the game has been under new management for quite a while since Wing's contract issues.
So is it actually your argument, that in cases like Craig Wings, where it legitimately has zero to do with the club, that it is included in the salary cap?

Latest posts