What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Qualifying final: Newcastle vs Manly *SPOILERS*

Ice777

Bench
CharlieF said:
The Manly team lost last night. Just like the Melbourne team lost last year.

It is a team sport.

What if Manly go onto win the GF. Your little outburst is going to look pretty stupid. I'm not claiming they will win, but if they do I can bet that you will not say it was Orford that won it for them, the same way as you are saying he lost the game.

And yes, I know that you have been saying it ever since he left Melbourne and not a minute before it.

I do agree with you, teams do lose a game and it's never an individual thing. But while i said that Orford choked again, i never once said he lost them the game. Yes he could have won it with that kick, but at the same time that kick never lost them the game and there's a big difference to that and me calling him a choker.

Even any staunch Manly supporter would have to agree that he was down on his usual game and that's exactly what used to happen when he played finals for Melbourne. Again i never ONCE blamed him for losing the game last night or the games he played for Melbourne, it was a team thing as you rightly pointed out. But what i did say is that his finals performances never reached the heights as what they did during the year. He goes mising and it's happened far too many times now to be classed as a conicidence.

and you're wrong, i was saying all this when he was playing for us. He was by far my favorite player when he was here and I did let it go the first year, i even let it go in the second year to an extent but when it happened in the 3rd year even i couldn't defend him anymore. My mates would've killed me if i defended him anymore and i just couldn't. You all get pissed off at me for saying what i do, but all i'm doing is stating facts and those facts are is that he just doesn't perform the same in finals as he does throughout the year. That's not being smart, it's just the way it is.

philstorm

Juniors
Ice, you're being silly. Orford didn't 'choke', he had a very good game for mine.

Sure, he struggled with that final conversion, but it's a tough kick and i'm sure that even the bset of them would struggle with that one.

I admit, I havn't been his biggest fan ever since he left, but I wish him all the best of luck during the finals.

CharlieF

Juniors
Ice777 said:
I do agree with you, teams do lose a game and it's never an individual thing. But while i said that Orford choked again, i never once said he lost them the game. Yes he could have won it with that kick, but at the same time that kick never lost them the game and there's a big difference to that and me calling him a choker.

Even any staunch Manly supporter would have to agree that he was down on his usual game and that's exactly what used to happen when he played finals for Melbourne. Again i never ONCE blamed him for losing the game last night or the games he played for Melbourne, it was a team thing as you rightly pointed out. But what i did say is that his finals performances never reached the heights as what they did during the year. He goes mising and it's happened far too many times now to be classed as a conicidence.

and you're wrong, i was saying all this when he was playing for us. He was by far my favorite player when he was here and I did let it go the first year, i even let it go in the second year to an extent but when it happened in the 3rd year even i couldn't defend him anymore. My mates would've killed me if i defended him anymore and i just couldn't. You all get pissed off at me for saying what i do, but all i'm doing is stating facts and those facts are is that he just doesn't perform the same in finals as he does throughout the year. That's not being smart, it's just the way it is.

Ok then. But I still think that he is a very good player. As you can see from last nights game, finals footy is another story.

strewth_mate

Bench
He was just trying a bit too hard for distance probably. And if it had gone dead they would have got the ball back, so it wouldn't have been a complete disaster; you couldn't guess Mullen would run the length from the ingoal. Plus, Orford got a shot from the sideline earlier, so if he'd missed that one Manly would never have been just a point down. True, the complexion of the game would have changed if it wasn't 18-18, so the field goal might not have been on, but the suggestion that Manly lost the game due to Orford's kicking is a bit rough.

One thing probably worth mentioning: a bit after half time I think, on the Knights' goal line, a Manly player lost/passed the ball backwards in a tackle, it came off Perry and went back to the Eagle. Should probably have been six more in a great attacking position. Did something similar happen last time the teams met? Goes to show that reaction to similar events is affected by circumstances.

Mayor West

Juniors
philstorm said:
Ice, you're being silly. Orford didn't 'choke', he had a very good game for mine.

Sure, he struggled with that final conversion, but it's a tough kick and i'm sure that even the bset of them would struggle with that one.

I admit, I havn't been his biggest fan ever since he left, but I wish him all the best of luck during the finals.

The kick was a tough one, but he rushed it. He had no confidence in himself to get it so he rushed it and hoped they had enough time to win it after. If a El Masri or Schifcofske had a kick like that to win the game im positive they would have taken alot longer and most likely slotted it. I don't necessarily think he choked, but he didn't believe in himself.

Ice777

Bench
philstorm said:

Why am i being silly Phil? It's my opinion he was below his best last night and i'm sure that most people would agree. If you think differently that's fair enough and it's up to you. Whether you, i or anyone else calls it choking is irrellevant really as it's subjective depending on who you ask. But whatever anyone wants to call it i thought that while he never had a sh*t game, at the same time he was below what he is capable of and IMO it was "just a game" from him last night. If he plays a cracker next week i'll be the first to say so and i'll be more than happy to say so.

and Charlie, you'll never hear me say that Orford isn't a very good player. I think he's an excellent player and that's why he was my favorite player by far at the Storm.

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
Kennedy was binned because he deliberately jumped in at risk of exacerbating the situation (not to mention at risk of injuring his own player) - his action was deliberate, whereas Buderus' was not. That's the long and short of it.

Latest posts