What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st T20I - Australia v West Indies at Bellerive Oval, Hobart

IanG

Coach
For discussion on the first of the KFC Twenty20 Internationals at Bellerive Oval, Hobart

It'll be the first Night international game there. Also Channel 9 are showing the Women's Twenty20 Australia vs New Zealand.

beads6

First Grade
Good to see channel 9 shoiwng the ladies play they can play cricket and it will give them good exposure. I 'll miss this game due to play a day nighter on sunday but Aussies will destroy I'd imagine.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
looking forward to seeing the ladies play

if Gayle doesn't fire up this will be pretty one sided

aussies1st

Staff member
The 5 ODIs has killed the mood for these games plus best to have the T20s first.

TheParraboy

Staff member
game is sold out apparantly

we play nz in a 20/20 over there on friday 26th, is that right?
Pretty quick turnaround since we play another game vs WI

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I thought most of the test matches weren't to bad but these one dayers have seemed to drag on forever.

beads6

First Grade
game is sold out apparantly

we play nz in a 20/20 over there on friday 26th, is that right?
Pretty quick turnaround since we play another game vs WI

of course it is the Tassie people get a test match and a 20/20 while the MCG gets 2 one day games a 20/20 and a test match. Blame Cricket Australia for nobody going to watch the one dayers.

D

Deleted member 10972

I am actually trying to work out why Richie Benaud and the other commentators keep pushing for Pollard in the Test squad? At the moment, I see an Andrew Symonds/Cameron White/Scott Styris clone - a powerful hitter with solid technique, but nowhere near Test temperament. Add to that, medium pace that is handy enough for ODIs, but I doubt you would see it pick up much Test wickets. And regardless:

Chris Gayle
Adrian Barath
Shiv Chanderpaul
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Brendan Nash
Dwayne Bravo
Denesh Ramdin
Suliemenn Benn
Jerome Taylor
Kemar Roach
???

All they need here is a consistent line-and-length seamer, someone a bit better than Ravi Rampaul, or a left-arm swing bowler to bring a bit of variation. I think adding Fidel Edwards into the Test line-up alongside Taylor and Roach is a bit too much of the same. But that is a strong line-up at full strength for Tests - I don't see Pollard being anywhere near the Test quality of these players. I would definitely bring him in for Nash for limited overs matches, but that is all.

aussies1st

Staff member
I reckon his bowling could pick up a few wickets in Test cricket. His wickets in ODI have been through his heavy ball bowling effect rather than the batsmen gifting him wickets. If WI had a spot free then why not give him a go but they don't so he will have to bide his time.

D

Deleted member 10972

I reckon his bowling could pick up a few wickets in Test cricket. His wickets in ODI have been through his heavy ball bowling effect rather than the batsmen gifting him wickets. If WI had a spot free then why not give him a go but they don't so he will have to bide his time.

If you look at his domestic records, in First Class cricket his bowling is largely ineffective. An average in the high 30s with the bat, with three boundary-laden centuries, is good, but 6 wickets in 20 matches at an average of 50+ shows that he really isn't a bowler in that arena, and I do not think his batting is good enough to replace either the big 3 of Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan, the lower order grit of Nash, or the opening impetus provided by Barath. Bravo is the established allrounder too.

Like I said, I would have liked to see Windies go into the ODIs with the batting order of Gayle, Barath, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Pollard, Bravo and Ramdin. I think we would have seen very different results - Deonarine is talented but inconsistent, Wavell Hinds has NO footwork, and Lendl Simmons and Travis Dowlin are simply outclassed.

aussies1st

Staff member
His bowling will always be part time but it will be more than useful for WI, I can see him picking up the odd wicket while the fast men rest.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Watson and Warner were owning the bowlers but their departure has seen the Windies come back into it, still favour the Aussies here as Windies are far too reliant on Gayle.

Evenflow

Bench
Pup goes cheaply once again. I know certain players are more suited to each of the different formats of the game but i thought if anyone in the world would excel in all 3 types it'd be him given he's so attacking and such a fine player in the 50 over game.

To be brutally honest his record in twenty20 is just plain sh*t and there's no way of sugar coating that, i really hope he improves and i think he will eventually but how long can we keep on carrying him? Especially given he's captain? IMO there's no way he should be captain atm, is there any other captain in world sport who so clearly struggles at their game more than Pup? Only in this format i mean because the other 2 he's great.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
FFS we've fallen apart after Warner and Watson. And now Johnson sent in before Smith.

Latest posts