What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st test Aust vs England @ the gabba

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If they go with 3 quicks it should look something like:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Johnson
McGrath

or 2 spinners, plus the allrounder:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
MacGill
McGrath

both strong line ups, wouldnt surprise me if they went with the first team.

DownUnder

Coach
I 'spose this is just as a good a place as any to post this:

Baggygreen said:
Warne rediscovers his flipper
Cricinfo staff
November 1, 2006
spacer.gif

Two former Australia spinners who saw Shane Warne bowl earlier this week said his flippers looked dangerous in the lead-up to the Ashes series beginning on November 23. Warne's shoulder injuries have made him reluctant to bowl the flipper - one of his most devastating deliveries - in recent years.
But Warne sent down a series of flippers for Victoria against South Australia at Adelaide Oval last weekend, including one that trapped tail-ender Paul Rofe lbw. He also bowled a succession in the nets straight after the match, according to his mentor Terry Jenner.
Victoria selector Ray Bright, the former Australia left-arm orthodox spinner, said in The Age that he believed Warne was bowling from his full repertoire for the first time in years. "Obviously his shoulder must be a lot better because I think that's what has restricted him in recent times - that his shoulder just hasn't been able to produce the flipper at a speed that's going to be workable for him at the top level.
"He tried a few others as well, but certainly the one that got Rofe out was the best one that landed. It's great for him, and great for Australia with the Ashes coming. I'm sure he gives them enough to worry about without the flipper, as we saw last year."
Jenner, who spent time working with Warne before the South Australia game, said Warne's confidence must be high in the lead-up to the Ashes. "If the flipper's coming out, it's a huge bonus because he hasn't been that confident with it in recent years," he said. "He's made it quite clear he has no shoulder problems.
"It's just such a difficult delivery to bowl and when he was young and carefree, it just came in. Then he had a couple of operations and that sort of stuff and he didn't have the same confidence in the delivery. He's got confidence in his wrong'un, as well." Jenner said the flipper would be in the back of the England batsmen's minds. "If England knows it's there, they will be looking for it. If you want to play him off the back foot, you can at your peril."
© Cricinfo

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/266467.html

DownUnder

Coach
I hope we see vintage Warne in the Ashes this year, another Gatting ball would be awesome...

TheParraboy

Staff member
DownUnder said:
I hope we see vintage Warne in the Ashes this year, another Gatting ball would be awesome...

Vintage Warne against the poms?
He always does well against them.
That aint gonna be good enough as proven last series.

We need a guy like Lee to fire up, and McGrath to be back at his miserly best. And the 3rd paceman to do considerably better than what Gillespie did last ashes series.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
1. Hayden
2. Langer
3. Ponting
4. Martyn
5. Hussey
6. Watson
7. Gilchrist
8. Warne
9. Lee
10. Bracken
11. McGrath

12th man - Clarke

Sanchez

Coach
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke/Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie/Bracken/Macgill
McGrath

TheParraboy

Staff member
sanchez moreno said:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke/Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Gillespie/Bracken/Macgill
McGrath

dude, you have an option for either Clarke OR Hussey ? :sarcasm:

I thought that one would be a no brainer tbh

Red Bear

Referee
him including symonds is the biggest no brain comment.

Tommy, you seen remarkebly confident. I mean since the ashes you guys have won a series, drwan one and struggled overall compared to pre ashes form.

We've won every series, barely losing a test (i dont think we have lost one?). Our team is also stronger than before. Im concerned Hayden will once again be shown to be a mug against good quicks. Bt ponting martyn hussey is class. Our bowling will be better than yours as well.

Good luck tho, we need some sort of forum bet going, siilar to the old avater bets.

JJ

Immortal
Tommy Smith said:
Yep, for sure. Especially after the way he disposed of Gilly and Punter. But that's only one spell.

My England side would be:

Strauss
Trescothick
Cook
Pietersen
Bell
Flintoff
Collingwood
Read
Hoggard
Harmison
Panesar

Keep Read over Jones. Keeping blunders make me furious like nothing else in cricket. The balling quartet of Freddy, Harmo, Hoggy and Monty is more than good enough to take 20 Aus wickets and the batting has great depth and a good miz of hitters (KP, Fred) and grinders (Bell, Collingwood, Cook) mixed in with a great opening pair (providing Tresco hits form).

This team should be good enough to comfortably retain the Ashes against Australia's most over the hill side. 3 maybe 4-1.

:lol:

yes, Aust's side is on the downslope of the hill.

you do some high-quality work Tommy :clap:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Aussie will piss in in a barely competitive series imo. Funny since this is apparently the highest prize in cricket or something

lockyno1

Post Whore
It is the pinnacle of cricket, as it is TEST CRICKET between the no 1 and the no2 test playing nations!

AUSTRALIA
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
MacGrath
MacGill/Bracken (depends on wicket, the one who misses out becomes 12th man)

ENGLAND
Strauss
Trescothick
Cook
Pieterson
Flintoff
Bell
Collingwood
Read
Plunkett
Harmison
Monty

Red Bear

Referee
sanchez moreno said:
whats wrong with picking symonds
He's f**king sh*t. 286 runs at 19 in 10 tests and 9 wickets at 45 is f**king sh*t. He's one of the most rediculous selections in test cricket.

Latest posts