What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: England v India at Birmingham Aug 1-5, 2018

Bazal

Post Whore
Curran man of the match?

Sure he had one good spell took 3 wickets (only 5 for the match) Sharma took more

Would have given it to Kholi

Well technically given they only won by 30 Curran's 63 in the second dig probably won England the game...so it's not a horrible injustice giving him MOTM

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Next test will be interesting with no Stokes (trial for affray).

His bowling was not only the best I've ever seen it this test, but was rather critical to the win.

The English batting looks frail (and in no small part helped out massively by Sam Curran in this test in both innings really), and they're desperately short of (fit) seamers. And yet, Moeen may be the selector's best option to replace Stokes with.

Indian batting line up is clearly bamboozled by swing, while English top order batsmen are just mediocre.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
good point

Might have something to do with indias scheduling more than anything else
Didn't they cut a 4 test series to 3 vs south Africa last festive season cause they wanted (preferred) to play SL in more ODI's? .
With the 5 tests v poms they probably had a window to play 5 tests plus the other formats

Whatever suits India it appears

I know it will probably never happen again in my lifetime as limited overs cricket now rule the roost (in terms of the $$$) and the importance of test cricket in the eyes of the cricket boards has slipped down the priority list, but I do miss when Ashes tours were 6-test series. 1997 was the last year this happened.

Absolutely no chance of having the old 4-5 month Ashes tours when Australia played loads of first-class matches, as well as playing matches in Hong Kong, Denmark, Netherlands etc. Oh no, the authorities have to have their useless, 3-5 ODI, 3 T20 bilateral series shoved in somewhere in the tour.

However, an abridged tour itinerary comprising of a 6 test Ashes series along the lines of:

3 or 4 day tour match, 1st & 2nd tests back-to-back, 3 or 4 day tour match, 3rd & 4th tests back-to-back, 3 or 4 day tour match, 5th & 6th tests back-to-back

could be covered in under 3 months.

Eelectrica

Referee
Cricket administrators need to start thinking long term. That a game like this is locked behind pay-tv in the UK is ridiculous. Keeping games like this away from the general public isn't the way to grow the game.

What more could anyone want from a game, this tight all the way through, tense finish, result not know until it was over, it had even had some big hits, all in the one match.

Sure they probably made a quick buck from pay tv, but what about the long term consequence?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Cricket administrators need to start thinking long term. That a game like this is locked behind pay-tv in the UK is ridiculous. Keeping games like this away from the general public isn't the way to grow the game.

What more could anyone want from a game, this tight all the way through, tense finish, result not know until it was over, it had even had some big hits, all in the one match.

Sure they probably made a quick buck from pay tv, but what about the long term consequence?

The Hundred is their free to air response as cricket's participation and fan base has fallen greatly behind a pay wall.

JJ

Immortal
Kohli doesn't bat 8. Told you already ;)
England really dominating the crucial #8 spot traditionally the realm of Kiwis

Great to see a good South Island league boy play a crucial role, the Gay Avenger has a nose for the big moments

ANTiLAG

First Grade
England really dominating the crucial #8 spot traditionally the realm of Kiwis

Great to see a good South Island league boy play a crucial role, the Gay Avenger has a nose for the big moments

It is the best I've seen Stokes bowl.

Sam Curran played for Auckland last summer and demonstrated his batting talents for all to see there. His bowling with a non-responsive Kookaburra was shoddy to say the least, though.

I just read that the Currans lived with Geoff Marsh after Mugabe's men took their farm.

Geoff Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Mitch Marsh, Kevin Curran, Tom Curran, Sam Curran and Ben Curran - best backyard cricket team ever?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I'd forgotten all about that abomination, had to google it. Pity their admin hasn't forgotten about it.

The Hundred isn't about making a product for existing cricket fans (who have been ridiculing it), it is about recruiting those who aren't cricket fans. I think the ECB is getting this right, myself.

Eelectrica

Referee
The Hundred isn't about making a product for existing cricket fans (who have been ridiculing it), it is about recruiting those who aren't cricket fans. I think the ECB is getting this right, myself.
Guess we'll see how it plays out, but I don't see how diluting the game even more helps. The Hundred seems like a bad joke.

On the other hand if they've already sold everything else to Pay TV, I guess they had to come up with something to sell to FTA.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Guess we'll see how it plays out, but I don't see how diluting the game even more helps. The Hundred seems like a bad joke.

On the other hand if they've already sold everything else to Pay TV, I guess they had to come up with something to sell to FTA.

The first thing was getting a product to 3 hours max, t20 games and what not have been pushing the 4 hour mark. So that is why they shortened down the balls to be bowled. 3 hours is about the maximum time non-fans will commit to something.

Then because the BBC is ad free, they didn't need the change of overs as often (Aus was 8 ball until Packer got involved - he wanted the extra ad breacks on commercial tv), so they've got this 10 balls before changing ends (and one guy can bowl them all, or they can be split).

So that keeps the game moving faster, reaching the 3 hour mark, and keeping people tuned in.

If they start going with subs and what not, eliminating lbw, it is probably not for the best. But so far there is good reason for many of their propositions.

Bazal

Post Whore

Unpopular opinion; I feel like they ARE thinking long term when they sign deals with pay TV companies. At least financially and in terms of the quality of the package that ends up on telly (and therefore viewer satisfaction).

Now that will get a few here riled up, and I don't necessarily think it's the best thing for the viewers themselves because a lot will miss out, but it's pretty clear pay TV companies will pay more for the rights with FTA. They will also, generally, provide much better coverage than FTA channels. Look at the abortion Channel 9 turned into compared to what Sky offers in England (sometimes dodgy guest commentators like HarbyMerkin aside).

On Foxtel we are going to get a dedicated cricket channel for the summer. On Channel 9 it felt like a vehicle for advertising and egos and that was turning viewers off the games, especially when the cricket wasn't that exciting.

I feel like cricket is kind of in a period of flux. We all talk about growing the game, but at the moment cricket is in a position where it is starting to lose old fans while it struggles to wholly convert new ones to the long form stuff. The hardcore fans are pissed off by shitty coverage and what they still for some reason feel is a flash in the plan phenomenon in T20. Losing those old fans is probably worse than not attracting new ones, especially for the continued survival of Test cricket.

Of course, it's hard to judge here in Australia because the coverage has been with Channel 9 since the beginning of time. Which means that it could just be that Channel 9 itself got stale....having watched stuff on Seven, though, I predict exactly the same advertising vehicle with commentators talking about MKR and whatever new program every few overs. I doubt we get that on Foxtel. So, I mean, from a money perspective, and a product quality perspective, I don't feel like it's a poor decision to take the game to pay TV even though it unfortunately shuts out viewers.

That being said, I'd hazard a guess that most people would pay for a pass to watch the cricket (with quality coverage) the way they do NBA/NFL, so hopefully something like that is in the works.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Yeah but CA has left a lot of cricket on FTA deliberately with tests and most BBL. They've probably learned from the countries that went behinda paywall that it is devastating for long term participation and fan base. The existing fans just get older, and if allowed to continue, the product actually becomes worth less to the pay tv broadcaster.

England after 13 years behind a paywall, saw what was happening and this is their solution to stop it. If the Hundred is successful on FTA BBC, it will cause a few more Sky Subscriptions too, as people demand and want more cricket.

Bazal

Post Whore

I can't see who you're replying to so I may be saying things that have already been said, but I don't so much have an issue with the concept behind The Hundred.

My issue is that hundred ball cricket already exists, so why does there need to be yet another format? The Last Man Stands stuff is T20, five ball overs, done in 2 hours and would make a really interesting and different TV product while keeping the core of what the game actually is pretty much the same. You'd probably have to tweak it for higher level play, but it's not an entirely new and nonsensical format

Das Gupta

Juniors
Surprised the poms won after blowing a few opportunities earlier in the match to get well ahead.
A good match that ebb and flowed.

Eelectrica

Referee
Unpopular opinion; I feel like they ARE thinking long term when they sign deals with pay TV companies. At least financially and in terms of the quality of the package that ends up on telly (and therefore viewer satisfaction).

Now that will get a few here riled up, and I don't necessarily think it's the best thing for the viewers themselves because a lot will miss out, but it's pretty clear pay TV companies will pay more for the rights with FTA. They will also, generally, provide much better coverage than FTA channels. Look at the abortion Channel 9 turned into compared to what Sky offers in England (sometimes dodgy guest commentators like HarbyMerkin aside).

On Foxtel we are going to get a dedicated cricket channel for the summer. On Channel 9 it felt like a vehicle for advertising and egos and that was turning viewers off the games, especially when the cricket wasn't that exciting.

I feel like cricket is kind of in a period of flux. We all talk about growing the game, but at the moment cricket is in a position where it is starting to lose old fans while it struggles to wholly convert new ones to the long form stuff. The hardcore fans are pissed off by shitty coverage and what they still for some reason feel is a flash in the plan phenomenon in T20. Losing those old fans is probably worse than not attracting new ones, especially for the continued survival of Test cricket.

Of course, it's hard to judge here in Australia because the coverage has been with Channel 9 since the beginning of time. Which means that it could just be that Channel 9 itself got stale....having watched stuff on Seven, though, I predict exactly the same advertising vehicle with commentators talking about MKR and whatever new program every few overs. I doubt we get that on Foxtel. So, I mean, from a money perspective, and a product quality perspective, I don't feel like it's a poor decision to take the game to pay TV even though it unfortunately shuts out viewers.

That being said, I'd hazard a guess that most people would pay for a pass to watch the cricket (with quality coverage) the way they do NBA/NFL, so hopefully something like that is in the works.

You're right about the drivel that commentators go on with when promoting the latest 'reality TV' fad. Being free of that nonsense has its upside. I've gotten used to watching the game with radio commentary so have avoided a lot of that stuff. Problem is being a little out of sync between Radio and TV.

My frustration with Foxtel is having to buy access to a whole bunch of other channels I don't particularly want. I dedicated, cheaper cricket package for summer could be interesting depending on what it had on offer.

Problem with shutting viewers out though is that the premier version of the game becomes invisible to them. A 2 hour higlights package of the days play could do the job for FTA. Not too many people watch every ball of a test anyway. A highlights package could portray the drama and tension if done right, whilst keeping the format alive. Maybe a compromise like that is an answer.

I''ve been following this test series on line and watching the highlights package on YouTube. Not quite the same, but following the online commentary gives me the story of the game.