What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: India v Australia at Pune on Feb 23-27, 2017 - AUST WIN BY 333 RUNS

JJ

Immortal
Katich was not given a contract by CA....you reckon Clarke had the board in his pocket?Katich showed his true colours when we was dropped, he acted like a petulant child...personally I lost a lot of respect for him and understood the decision not to offer him a contract. No doubt Clarke wouldn't have been that thrilled to have Kat in the team (would you want to play much with a bloke who, for whatever reason, had been inches away from thumping you?), but he would have dealt with it as he did other players.

CA were responsible for Kat, not Clarke. The captain might have a say in selections. He has zero say in who gets a contract.
Fair enough- obviously I don't follow Australian cricket as closely - however, the ignoring of Katich whilst picking old man Rogers was strange?

Obviously you hold Clarke in high esteem - I simply don't, as Red Bear said above everything is manufactured, the media is used, and he simply doesn't seem genuine in any sense whatsoever - his retirements at the World Cup and The Ashes spoke volumes - contrast with Vetorri at the World Cup

He's probably not as big a narcissistic arsehole as Warne, but at least Warne doesn't pretend to be anything else

Bazal

Post Whore
Fair enough- obviously I don't follow Australian cricket as closely - however, the ignoring of Katich whilst picking old man Rogers was strange?

Obviously you hold Clarke in high esteem - I simply don't, as Red Bear said above everything is manufactured, the media is used, and he simply doesn't seem genuine in any sense whatsoever - his retirements at the World Cup and The Ashes spoke volumes - contrast with Vetorri at the World Cup

He's probably not as big a narcissistic arsehole as Warne, but at least Warne doesn't pretend to be anything else

I hold Clarke in reasonable esteem, that's all. I just don't think he's treated particularly well by Aussie fans. For a guy who came in to a team that was a mess, he did a very good job. He was a great batsman and a much better captain than he gets credit for.

As for Katich, as the other bloke said, he had a serious injury, and he's two years older than Rogers. He was 34 when they pulled his contract, with an injury that many people struggle to ever recover completely from. Had he been fit, he may have got another shot despite his obvious personality issues....had he been Rogers age when Rogers went to England as a horses for courses pick, and had he not carried on like a f**kwit when he did lose his deal, he may have also got another shot.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
Mitchell Johnson had an interesting perspective on being in the Aussie team under Clarke.

Here are some quotes from Johnson talking about what happened as Clarke took over from Ponting:

“The dynamics definitely changed. It became more groups in the team. It wasn’t a team as so. There was different little factions going on and it was very toxic,”

“It (the toxic culture) just built very slowly but everybody could see it, everybody could feel it.

“Nothing was being done at that time, so it wasn’t a very enjoyable place to be and you’re supposed to be enjoying yourself when you’re playing for your country.

“It was a pretty bad experience, bad time, a couple of us didn’t want to play. Even some of the young guys coming through could see it a mile away and they didn’t enjoy it, they said ‘state cricket’s so much more fun.’”

Quotes taken form this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...e/news-story/beddf96514ba71a9986c726fc259ad18

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mitchell Johnson had an interesting perspective on being in the Aussie team under Clarke.

Here are some quotes from Johnson talking about what happened as Clarke took over from Ponting:

“The dynamics definitely changed. It became more groups in the team. It wasn’t a team as so. There was different little factions going on and it was very toxic,”

“It (the toxic culture) just built very slowly but everybody could see it, everybody could feel it.

“Nothing was being done at that time, so it wasn’t a very enjoyable place to be and you’re supposed to be enjoying yourself when you’re playing for your country.

“It was a pretty bad experience, bad time, a couple of us didn’t want to play. Even some of the young guys coming through could see it a mile away and they didn’t enjoy it, they said ‘state cricket’s so much more fun.’”

Quotes taken form this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...e/news-story/beddf96514ba71a9986c726fc259ad18
LOL! Johnson was Pontings biggest pet, PHIL Hughes was unfairly dropped just so he could stay in the side. Sure Johnson had his good periods but there were times where he should of been nowhere near the test side.

Ashes tour in 09 was one of them, maybe Clarke didn't tuck him in at night??? I'd take anything a muppet like Hayden says with a grain of salt. Another Ponting pet who was kept well past his used by date.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
So anyone who had a problem with Clarke is wrong?

And Hughes, I know since the tragedy we need to be careful - but if Chris Martin can make you his personal bitch then perhaps you have fundamental limitations as a test opener?

Meapro Ham

Juniors
LOL! Johnson was Pontings biggest pet, PHIL Hughes was unfairly dropped just so he could stay in the side. Sure Johnson had his good periods but their were times where he should of been nowhere near the test side.

Ashes tour in 09 was one of them, maybe Clarke didn't tuck him in at night??? I'd take anything a muppet like Hayden says with a grain of salt. Another Ponting pet who was kept well past his used by date.

Yeah. LOL! What would Clarke have done without Johnson? By far his most famous victory as captain the 2013/14 ashes was about 90% due to Johnson.

Bazal

Post Whore

And Hughes, I know since the tragedy we need to be careful - but if Chris Martin can make you his personal bitch then perhaps you have fundamental limitations as a test opener?

Hughes' problems against NZ were entirely confidence related. He got away from what was successful and chased wide balls he had previously left alone in an effort to score runs because, having been dropped out of the blue and then picked out of form, he felt under immense pressure to score runs.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah. LOL! What would Clarke have done without Johnson? By far his most famous victory as captain the 2013/14 ashes was about 90% due to Johnson.
He was great in that series, no denying it. That whole series and then the win in SA in as well. But there were periods where he was absolute junk.

Clarke wasn't a prefect leader far from it, but it's laughable the shit he cops compared to Captain Clueless(Ponting)

JJ

Immortal
both pretty ordinary captains imo - Clarke better on field, Ponting likely better off

Most of the shit Clarke cops is because he's a divisive prick - you all seem to want to believe Ponting is - if so he's just more subtle, and smarter - but I don't see it like that

2 weeks

Coach

Clarke is a merkin & he was a very good tactical captain.

Hughes was clueless against spin as well as the seaming ball, he was dropped at least 4 times from the test team, and that has to be close to a record. Kid had holes all through his game.

Hughes sweeping onto his own stumps was just about his go to shot against spin.

2 weeks

Coach
Mitchell Johnson always reminded me of Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde.

He was either the greatest bowler in the world, or a bowling machine.

JJ

Immortal
a bowling machine set to 'random' - he was streaky, lots of bats like that, and obviously some of the express quicks - Thommo was another

Hutty1986

Immortal
Im just so sickened and appalled at Clarkey retiring on top after a World Cup win. He should have retired gracefully after his team got humiliated in the final. FMD there's some shit being dribbled on here. The pindick who implied he could beat up Clarke was another highlight.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
1st test pitch officially rated as poor by the match referee. Which means the bcci has to explain itself and the ground could be banned from international cricket.

TheParraboy

Staff member
both pretty ordinary captains imo - Clarke better on field, Ponting likely better off

Most of the shit Clarke cops is because he's a divisive prick - you all seem to want to believe Ponting is - if so he's just more subtle, and smarter - but I don't see it like that

this

Plenty of players have spoken out against Clarke. Its not just the puplic that thinks he is a twat.
Better than average batsman, some great knocks. Decent captain, but thats it

Katich papers were stamped. He had every right to be pissed. Averaged 50 over the last 3 years. Definitely deserved better.. Others made gooses of themselves eg greg Mathews. SOK standing side by side in an interview with Katich when he got dropped didn't help his own test cause at the time, despite consistently performing over and beyond any domestic spinner since.

Latest posts