What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: Pakistan v Australia at Dubai October 7-11 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
Starts 5pm, Sunday week

Great hours for an overseas test match, can avoid a lot of the crap on tele.

Gonna close my eyes real hard when our XI is announced

TheParraboy

Staff member
Peter the magnificent leader

www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24788495/undefined

Most overwhelming in the factors for Siddle's recall, however, is that the team now captained by Tim Paine and coached by Justin Langer was desperate for senior figures. Not only to replace the missing Steven Smith, David Warner, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins, but also to help chart a new and better cultural and performance path for the Australian team in their first series since the Newlands ball-tampering scandal.

In recent years it could be argued that Siddle's skills were rather undervalued by Australia, whether it was in his omission from the 2015 Ashes until the final Test, or his being rushed back from injury into the team in late 2016, whereupon he re-injured his back. Now, in the team's hour of need, Siddle is back in favour, and he has a clear idea of why this is so.

"JL's spoken a lot about good people and good characters and coming into the side I think, just from an outside point of view, the side probably in the last little bit maybe lacked a bit of leadership," Siddle said in Dubai. "So I think without having the captain or vice-captain or any of those terms, it's just about being a leader in my own right, just doing what I do to lead by example and just help out the young guys and help out the group ... it's stuff I'd normally do.

Bazal

Post Whore
Anyone know a (legal, obviously) way to watch overseas?

Will be in Italy for these matches. Not that fussed if I miss them but spending time on trains and such during play, it'd be nice to have a few hours of Test cricket to watch

Meth

Staff member
Australia have Pakistan A 247/6 at stumps on Day 1 (of 4), Lyon picking up 5 of those wickets.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Pakistan didn't pick a spinner for the A games.

That way Australia get no practice against spin in the lead up.

Amir also dropped from the Pakistan side, which despite his promise as an 18 year old is fair enough if you look at his career as a whole.

33 games, 107 wickets ave 31.25 and only 4 five wicket hauls.

King hit

Coach
Anyone know a (legal, obviously) way to watch overseas?

Will be in Italy for these matches. Not that fussed if I miss them but spending time on trains and such during play, it'd be nice to have a few hours of Test cricket to watch

Get a live pass on cricket Australia app

TheParraboy

Staff member
Pakistan didn't pick a spinner for the A games.

That way Australia get no practice against spin in the lead up.

Amir also dropped from the Pakistan side, which despite his promise as an 18 year old is fair enough if you look at his career as a whole.

33 games, 107 wickets ave 31.25 and only 4 five wicket hauls.

Im pretty sure read Pakistan have 3 front line spinners in their 17 man squad
Wouldn't be surprised if they all played in the tests

Not sure where we are gonna get the runs, this FC game means jack shit really if all we are facing is seamers/pace. Get your eye in and go the tonk, treat it with distain. If they make 500 off 80 overs great, get bowled out for 180 who cares, its gonna happen in the tests anyway

Our only saving grace is that Lyon and Holland clean up their Batsmen , and we can be on par with the bat. Low scoring game is our best bet. We snuck a test win in india in the first test. If we can do that here at least we wont lose the series. I have my doubts that we will even compete here.

TheParraboy

Staff member
We are 4/494 in the FC tour match, will we see that in the tests?
Lead of 216

MMarsh 162
Smarsh 94
Finch 54
Head 90no
Labuschagne 39no

May as well try and bat all day today and post 750+ .
No point trying to bowl 2nd dig in this heat, reserve it for the tests

Timbo

Staff member
Holland got a bag in the second dig, that’s a plus.

Apparently Renshaw won’t play because he had to withdraw from this match after being struck in the head, Langer wants a batsman who had time in the middle to play and favours Labuschagne.

Already with the dumb decisions. Didn’t take JL long.

Timbo

Staff member
I heard JL on the radio this morning saying he wants to only pick players with match fitness?

It’s f**king October and you only scheduled one tour match you total pillock. Where are they supposed to get match fit?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Flying in someone from the JLT Cup?

Langer might get lucky this series if the ‘bad’ Pakistan side turn up, which they are known to do from time to time.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The weather forecast is insane for this test

Tops of 37-39 during the day

Tops 27-30 during the night

Win the toss and I’m gonna go with ‘we will have a bat’ by the winning tosser

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
God, I can't wait for summer, for there to be some cricket on in this part of the world. It seems like an age ago. India in Australia. 1st Test is now 2 months away.

Meth

Staff member
Mind you, after Smith/Warner etc, we probably can't anticipate many hostilities and fireworks

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it will be interesting seeing how the newbies go, bowling doesn't look too intimidating tho