What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 cents worth on recruitment for next season

The following players in my mind could be surplus to requirements for 09 or beyond, we need to toughen up in the forwards and I see the following changes need to be made in conjunction with Bennett arriving at the club.

If I were in charge of recruitment, I'd do the following (ideally, considering who has been linked to moving with Bennett)

Reynoldson - gone
Poore / Ryles - 1 of them gone
Woolford - gone
Ellis/Webb - 1 of them gone
Scott - shaky ground??

Freeing up money to chase the following
Hannant - may have a get out clause?
Shillington - may not be retained by roosters
Ennis (off contract?) /Priddis (off contract) - one of the two
Fitzgibbon - would be excellent experience for atleast one year and a quality goalkicker
Sailor - used in the forwards or backs

Don't believe we need too many changes in the backs, if there is a quality half or 5/8 on the market we could have a look... but it could leave a rough first grade squad as follows:

Hornby
J.Morris
B.Morris
Nightingale
Lett
Stanley
Gasnier
Cooper?
Chase
Soward
Young
Creagh
Sailor
Fitzgibbon
Poore or Ryles
Ellis or Webb
Priddis or Ennis
Hannant
Shillington
Setu
Hunt
Thorby
+ fringe players

That to me would make for a very competative first grade squad under Bennett. Good mixture of youth and experience.

watatank

Coach
I don't think we should be looking too much further than our own backyard. How promising do the Toyota Cup team look? Although I wouldn't say no to Priddis, Shillington, Hannant. There are many candidates who could come up but I think that we can promote (at least) the Kennedy twins, Fepaleai from Toyota Cup to the full time squad at the end of the year. They are promising players who could solve the problems in 6,7,9 (or at least provide depth). I will be disappointed if we lost these players to other clubs.

Mr Red

First Grade
heres my two cents worth...
agree with most of your sackings... especially Ryles.. adding no value at all in terms of performance, leadership and discipline... and would free up a lot of salary cap dollars..

i would look at Anthony Tupou as a replacement.. the roosters will have to let one or two forwards go, and Tupou is also off contract..
may even get mark o'meley - rumours have him about to be let go as well

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints need a good half. Our halves are struggling. If he can bring Ennis or Wallace with him it would be ideal. Ennis can play in the halves.

Unless they try Kennedy who plays in the U20's. He looks like he will be a good player in the future.

Slackboy72

Coach
I said before that we have problems if we have backs running out of dummy half on 3rd and 4th tackles.
We need better forwards and that includes a solid dummy half. Btw it wasn't surprising that we lost on Saturday. We left our halfback at home.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
Ryles has been pretty good this year. It would be worth realeasing him to sign a younger player who would offer more in the future but he is holding his own.

Scott is a damaging ball runner. He has made some mistakes in recent weeks but I would hold onto him.

Gone:
Reynoldson
Poore
Woolford
Ellis
Webb
J.Morris
B.Morris
Cooper
Chase

Shaky Ground:
Soward - Not creative enough to hold a halfback position. A stop gab 5/8.

Potential Buys: Basically I think we need to buy a quality hooker and a halfback or 5/8. Soward can fill the 5/8 role if required and Hornby can play either pivot position.

Ennis - Quality hooker in good form and would be an asset to the team.

I do not want to see Priddis here next season. He has looked past it at the Panthers for the past couple of years and we would have to outlay big money. No thanks.

There are a host of quality hookers both here and overseas who could be singed if we miss Ennis. Sign anyone half decent.

Walsh - Had some quality performances last season and doesn't look like he will get a run at Newcastle. More creative than anyone on our playing roster.

Campbell - Get him back into the halfback position where he was so damaging all those years ago.

Watts - Can play half or hooker. Has produced some impressive performances during his limited time in first grade.

Moon - Hasn't furfilled his potental but could fill the 5/8 position nicely. Given the lack of 5/8s in the comp at the momment wouldn't be that bad.

Robinson - Made his debut on the wing for the Broncs this season. Has slot more skill in his game than he has been able to demonstrate at the moment. Could make a good fullback or 5/8. At the least a promosing winger.

Hannant - One of the in form props of the season. Would add some starch up front.

Shillington - Ditto.

Salior - I wouldn't mind him going back onto the wing. If he can't cut it there anymore would make a strong running backrower at the very least.

Tupou - Attracking big offers elsewhere but carrys the ball with great strength.

Fitzgibbon is past it. We don't want that has been running around in the Red V on a big contract nex sason.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Hornby
Nightingale (Whare)
Gaz (Stanley as a backup for a host of positions)
Coops
Lett
Barrett (Mundine)
Soward (Kennedy with 6 extra kG’s)
Ryles (Hannant)
Priddis (Ennis)
Shillington (Poore, Merrin or other TC players)
Creagh
Fitzgibbon (Sailor)
Young

Drop the rest and keep 80%of the Toyota cup side
Join the NSW Cup FFS, this will be the biggest impediment to employing 2nd string players for 2009. I’d be asking Barrett if he wants that NRL ring under Bennett and if he believes that playing under Bennett for a couple of seasons would help his future coaching career (Barrett haters BTW please talk to the hand)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Walsh would be a quality signing, but we should really persist with Soward. He has the goods.

_Johnsy

Referee
mundine should be playing lock in 09. If Barrett is keen to return he is a must along with A decent 1/2.

watatank

Coach
if mat mundine is not in the top squad next year , i'll be pissed off.

He will probably be in the top squad but not see top grade until 2010. I don't think he is fit enough to be honest. He is only 18 this year, he can still play Toyota Cup for a couple of years yet.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
LOTS OF NEW BLOOD REQUIRED.A REAL TRANSFUSION FROM TOP TO TOE.MANAGEMENT DOWN TO PLAYERS. ATMOSPHERE .THEN BACK TO WHERE WE SHOULD BE.

'' KOGARAH JUBILEE OVAL''

I am starting to get confused with alot of posters..

You all say that brown is the reason why we suck, yes?

Then why do such a massive shuffle of the team ?

Rid Brown and let Bennett re-train the current team..

That's all we need.

It's hypocritical to reshuffle the entire team if you think that Brown is the reason why we suck.

Every single player in our team would benefit from Bennet as there coach..

I have massive faith in our current line-up with a new coach.

Our fringe players are definately going to grow with Bennett, especially Scott,Saffy and Reynoldson..

The Preacher

First Grade
I believe we stink because the players have no guts. they're only going through the motions, and they can't even get that right.
The players can't get the glory for when we made the pre-lim finals 2 years in a row, and a couple of years of semi's, and then blame the coach when we play like busted's.
The players need to have a good hard look at themselves and the emblem they wear, and then say honestly who's fault it is. The players suck, they are the one's that have us where we are now!!! :evil:

I believe we stink because the players have no guts. they're only going through the motions, and they can't even get that right.
The players can't get the glory for when we made the pre-lim finals 2 years in a row, and a couple of years of semi's, and then blame the coach when we play like busted's.
The players need to have a good hard look at themselves and the emblem they wear, and then say honestly who's fault it is. The players suck, they are the one's that have us where we are now!!! :evil:

Boom boom goes the drum..

If i was a current player and had the pressure to either play good and get shuffled weekly or play 1 bad game and get dropped to local level i would be a bit rebellious of my coach as well.

The current core of our team is fine, they have proven themselves to be able to achieve....

They just need a good kick up the ass by a multi premiership coach..

grandorient

Bench
Yes I agree with Dragon Scott,

A good kick in the arse, fire in their bellies, belief in themselves and what to do on the field, thats whats needed.
I still believe that Brownie does not have the skill or experience as a coach to do this.

GO

Drew-Sta

Staff member
We have one, potentially two, significant problems with the theory we don't need to recruit.

1 - No hooker.
2 - No proficient five eight.

Latest posts