What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 x Tele Articles

TheRev

First Grade
Couple of funny articles this morning:

Bennett shows Dally M cunning

TELEVISION viewers could have been forgiven for thinking Dragons coach Wayne Bennett had snubbed Tuesday night's Dally M awards.

But the real story is that Bennett was too cunning for the cameras.

The seating plan had placed him alongside Dragons players and CEO Peter Doust in the centre of the State Theatre, where he would have attracted relentless attention.

Knowing as much, the publicity-shy Bennett told the doorman he had lost his ticket and then snuck in while the gate-keeper's attention was diverted.

With no one else watching, Bennett took a seat in the back row. He was discovered just after the show began, but declined to move when asked to join the St George Illawarra contingent.

And given his desire to keep a low profile, Bennett had absolutely no complaints when Bulldogs opposite Kevin Moore pipped him for Coach of the Year honours.

Junk food battle plan for Eels

PARRAMATTA have turned to fast food and toy firearms to reverse last week's thrashing against St George Illawarra.

In a fascinating preparation more commonly practised with junior footy sides, the Eels spent Monday having Laser Zone battles and lunching at McDonald's before bunking-down in mini camp at Richmond, where coach Daniel Anderson hosted a musical trivia night featuring classic ballads from Frank Sinatra.

Although the getaway generated plenty of laughs, it had a serious message. "The timing was perfect to do something like this,'' Anderson said. "We needed to reinforce that we couldn't just be happy to be in the finals. We've got a number of players in their first play-off series, and we need to reinforce the need to compete.''

That was done by Anderson himself on Monday night, inside a meeting room at the Sebel Hotel in Richmond. Earlier in the evening he hosted a trivia night in which the team was split into groups and asked to guess the titles and artists of different songs.

"I didn't know too many of them,'' said winger Luke Burt. "He's got pretty interesting taste, the coach. The only one I knew was Frank Sinatra!''

Burt said the camp came as a surprise to the players, who were told late on Sunday to bring an overnight bag to training at Parramatta Stadium on Monday. Following the session, a mini-bus took them to Code Red at Rosehill, where they battled one another with mock laser guns for over an hour.

Then it was off to McDonald's, with only Eric Grothe knocking back a rare opportunity to chow down on guilt-free junk food.

"The club shouted them but I stood at the counter and ordered all their lunches,'' Anderson said. "At times we are all big kids and like a bit of that. The only one who refused was Eric Grothe - he treats his body like a temple. He ate Subway instead.''

Anderson said the activity day was only planned last weekend, but played down suggestions that the magnitude of last Friday's hiding at Kogarah was a major motivator.

"We really haven't had the chance to get together as a team lately - the draw hasn't given us many away trips in the last couple of months,'' he said. "It's a pretty relentless season and it's also my first here. I'm still getting to know their personalities and they're getting to know my nuances.

"The staff thought it was a good opportunity for everyone to get together, enjoy each other's company and set some fresh ambitions for the play-offs.''

Burt said the team had returned in a much better frame of mind to exact revenge on St George Illawarra this Sunday. "Daniel made a great point - we can't afford to be happy where we are,'' Burt said. "The last couple of months showed we can beat anyone. We need to start again and refresh.''

Parramatta's hopes of turning the tables on the Dragons improved yesterday with news that centre Krisnan Inu is likely to overcome a hamstring strain, while St George Illawarra prop Justin Poore has been unable to train due to a calf injury.

Godz Illa

Coach
Daniel Anderson has some unusual methods. Anyone remember his idea to fire up the Warriors before the 2002 grand final?

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Daniel Anderson has some unusual methods. Anyone remember his idea to fire up the Warriors before the 2002 grand final?
Who could forget, the mock commentary recording of the Warriors winning the grand final, its a shame it was recorded before the team they were playing in the final was decided.

rushndude

Bench
Hahah i remember that, would have to be one of the worst half time motivational "speeches" in history.

From memory the captain of the warriors at the time blew up saying "wtf is this sh*t??" haha, Ando just turned on the tap and walked out.

TheRev

First Grade
Personally Wayne Bennett cracks me, with his shinannigans to stay out of the media, I wonder how many times he has used the 'lost ticket' line.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hahah i remember that, would have to be one of the worst half time motivational "speeches" in history.

From memory the captain of the warriors at the time blew up saying "wtf is this sh*t??" haha, Ando just turned on the tap and walked out.
Kevin Campion was the man. He came out and berated Anderson to the media, even suggesting that idiotic tape was the reason they lost, saying it was the most ridiculous half time speech he's ever heard.

Latest posts