What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20/20 at the olympics?

griffo346

First Grade
ODIS wont happen at olympics will take too long and u only get 2 weeks

where in a space of a ODI you can play 2 20/20 matches

:lol: i could see Ivoy Coast v Iraq :lol:

But i would vote for golf to be at the olympics or even rugby 7s

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Id rather just see One day cricket.

Just have 8 groups of 4 with the winners of each group advancing to QF, then SF then F.

Or 4 groups of 4 with two advancing from each group to QF, SF , then F.

6 OD Games in 17 days or so is nothing, and only a few teams would have to do that.

An issue would obviously be pitches. Obviously in the next ones in London it would be alright, dont know what theyd do in Beijing or anything.

IanG

Coach
Depends on where 2020 Olympics will be we wont know 'til 2013. As it is the hosts of the 2016 Olympics wont be announced until next year

CycloneSteve

Juniors
I dont think Cricket has enough global exposure for it to be an Olympic Sport. Rugby certainly does and is played in quite a few countries, a lot more than cricket currently is. I understand that the idea is to get Cricket played in more countries by 2020 but I honestly cant see it happening.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
why?

20/20 is in a different class than 7s, it has a much bigger following world wide. 7s is ok, but no-one really cares about it because the players arent known. where as if cricket was being played, everyone knows the players and it would be a much higher level.

I went to the Rugby7s at the Comm games in Melbourne and the games I was at, there was massive interest (and this is fecking Melbourne)

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
there is atleast 20-24 teams who would give it a good shake, (well as good as some other teams do in other sports anyway)... as far as i know hockey has 2 pools of 6? Thats only 12, cricket would be extremely competitive (or as competitive as hockey) with 12 teams.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I reckon there should be test cricket, 50/50/ 20/20, 10/10, 5/5 and 1/1 plus a individual bowling competition and an individual batting competition in the Olympics

Surely you would have someone like Jaques Kallis equalling Michael Phelps record 8 gold medals ??

African Monkey

First Grade
I reckon there should be test cricket, 50/50/ 20/20, 10/10, 5/5 and 1/1 plus a individual bowling competition and an individual batting competition in the Olympics

Surely you would have someone like Jaques Kallis equalling Michael Phelps record 8 gold medals ??
Have you has another mood swing regarding Kallis ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Great viewing that would be :lol:

Would like to see cricket at the Olympics. Just not sure it has the global appeal required atm.

That never stopped baseball and softball from being included!

I'm sure the neutral fan would be more likely to take a passing interest in twenty20 cricket than switch over to the shooting/sailing/Greco-Roman wrestling. Some sports admittedly draw a small group of devout followers from several countries but those groups combined would be dwarfed by the population of India alone!!

Latest posts