What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20-40 rule under consideration

SBD82

Coach
My guess is that the idea of this rule is to create more attacking footy from inside the attacking team's own half. I assume they're trying to change the dummy half running that all teams are using on the first couple of tackles.

If the wingers have to be alert to the kick, they will be behind the defensive line earlier, creating overlap opportunities with a quick shift wide.

Of course, whenever they bring in rules like this, the unintended negative consequences far outweigh the intended benefits.

Danish

Referee
A panel of current NRL coaches are getting together to work out how they can make changes to the rules to indirectly encourage more attacking footy.

If only these current NRL coaches had direct control over the tactics teams use on the field......

T-Boon

Coach
I think the only way they will encourage more attacking football is to go back to 5 metres. It is always just too easy to take the 7 free metres with zero risk.

gerg

Juniors
They could just make it any 40 metre kick that finds touch. I mean who doesn't want to see two more sideline officials, holding a tape measure? Another exciting element to the game. Gus would talk it up for a year and then change his tune. "Rabs, was that a 40 metre kick, was it".
"I'm not sure and why are you asking me".
I mean it doesn't get more entertaining than that, surely?

siv

First Grade
So what will happen ?

Wingers will drop back - in theiry opening up gaps out wide

A early tackle kick gets a reward. Fast wingers/fullbacks become more valuable

Risk - early kick that doesnt find touch puts your defence under huge pressure as their first set will start around 50m mark

When would I try for it

1 - when I am getting hammered in a set of six in my 20m zone

2 - when I am behind on the scoreboard and the clock is running down

I dont see the extra 20m having too much effect as it will need to be a wopper kick. Unless its blowing a gale

Lebbo73

Bench
Why do we get these random rules pop up that no one ever asks for? Like 7 tackle sets from 20m taps.
This! The 7 tackle 20m restarts were only ever proposed to stop teams kicking it dead deliberately from 50m out to slow the game down and set the defence. What happens when they bring the rule in? It’s for every 20m restart for f**ks sake. The 7 tackle 20m restart should only apply to kicks that go dead from outside the 20m.
A 20/40 kick is designed to punish good defence. I’m not even a fan of the 40/20. However, I do concede that it has some merit.

Valheru

Coach
I can't see many 20/40s actually occurring.

What percentage of tackles are made within a teams defensive 20m line these days, it couldn't be more than 10%?

thorson1987

Coach
I get it now- he means the target area yes, but his original posts were just something on another level and I took this instantly as he was thinking the actual kick was different

Yeah nah.

No idea how you thought it meant anything else than what he actually meant which is the larger target area.

T-Boon

Coach
the best time to try one would probably be from a 20m tap with the defense scrambling to get back. It would be a pretty exciting play. Much better than 4 hit ups.

Edit: if you kick one from a 7 tackle set tap you should get a 7 tackle set from the ensuing tap, but if you fail the opposition should get the 7 tackles.

Last edited:

Latest posts