What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 teams

Red Bear

Referee
Do you think eventually we will have 20 teams? i think thats what the NRL will work to for their national comp. 20 teams i would have would be
The 15 teams we have now
plus
Gold Coast
Central Coast Bears
Perth
Adalaide
4th queensland side/Wellington team
For 20 teams to work a draft system would have to be introduced.
If you want both 4th Queensland side and Wellington then IMO...piss Cronulla off.

Macca

Coach
You are a clown. There is no where near enough talent or cash for that matter to support 20 teams. Oh and by the way, there will be a central coast team but it won't be the Bears. :lol:

Phillips

Referee
i would like to see:
Gold Coast
another NZ team eg Wellington
Central Coast maybe the bears
maybe a perth side eg Western Reds

i would rather not see an adalaide side and another QLD side
and the storm should go

ash the bash

Juniors
I doubt a 20 team comp will work,
I mean with the top 8 and there is a big gape and say your team is in the last 8. I mean honestly it would loose alot of competitiveness in the teams and fans wont be pumped to go and see 18th vs 19th in the last 3 rounds.

Red Bear

Referee
McSharkie said:
You are a clown. There is no where near enough talent or cash for that matter to support 20 teams. Oh and by the way, there will be a central coast team but it won't be the Bears. :lol:
I know that now but in 20 years do you think we will have be able to support 20 teams?
Mate, the Bears will be playng at Central Coast.

Macca

Coach
The Bears are dead and the NRL don't want them back. In 20 years there might be teams from America, Ethiopia or the Moon. Nobody knows. At the moment there is not enough money or talent to support more than 16. Simple.

Anonymous

Juniors
I can see it going even further.

I think a 22-24 team comp is feasable and everyone only plays each other once.

15 current teams, plus definitely these 5:

Central Coast
Gold Coast
Adelaide
Perth
2nd Brisbane

Then, with the potential to add

Wellington
Christchurch (They have a Warriors game there this year)

Then

Darwin
Tasmania

Also, there is the potential to split some merger clubs and re-instate the original clubs.

OVP

Coach
When the ARL introduced 20 teams into the comp, JUST before the murdoch-rapers tried to destroy our game (remember they own rugby too), that was the healthiest, and most wide-spread interest that our great game ever had.

20 teams is great, i like it ... piss Cronulla off (no soul, no history, no culture, no wins, theyve GOT NOTHING !!) and our game will leap ahead and go back to the glory days.

Poida_Raider

Bench
i think it'll take a long time to get up to 20 teams..
and even beyond that i'm sure there'll be even more in decades to come.. i think they'd have to have some divisions or something, hell i dont know.. its a log way away.

t-ba

Post Whore
With the Ghan Opening up, Darwins Viability as a port might increase and the subsequent boost in population would probably see it become a viable proposition for inclusion in national sporting comps. Maybe then The AFL will learn the pain of having to cater to small remote regional centres like League has to. Hopefully we get a team up there before they do.

Tasmania will never deserve a team. The population size does not justify it and it's very much so an AFL state.

Anonymous

Juniors
The AFL continues to neglect Tassie, constant talk of an AFL team down there but.....?????

The NRL needs to strike while the iron is hot, get in before the AFL does, because, let's face it, in terms of popularity, the AFL is slaughtering us.

t-ba

Post Whore
No Way. If the AFL wants to waste resources committing themselves to a tiny state with no potential for growth, they're welcome to.

The place is too small and insignificant to warrant inclusion in any national competition (Exclduing stater based cricket), including AFL, let alone Rugby League. The South Island has better growth potential and is not entirely hostile to league, and it's about 10 on the list of potential places for a new team :lol: .

I can see an exhibition game or two being played there, but Newtown is more deserving of inclusion...

bartman

Immortal
Hate to say it but Darwin's already AFL territory, they love the game up there, and play it in their summer months. I don't think there's any significant interest in league there at all in comparison.

Take it one at a time, for mine Central Coast is next, bringing us to 16!

Then I think it's likely that one of our existing teams dies (Cronulla or Storm?) which would open up another spot for Gold Coast.

If the Storm dies, then forget Adelaide and Perth and Tassie... The NRL will have to look east to NZ areas for development, and again only when there's a spot open through collapse or merger. It'll be 16 teams for a long while...

DIEHARD

----
Central Coast? God some of you guys are Ernies. Going to be bitterly dissapointed Ernies when common sense prevails and the Gold Coast are back!