What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 teams

t-ba

Post Whore
The Northern Territory is the Great Unkown. The Area will be flooded with Immigrants, both internal and Foreign. Whoever can sell their product best will win the market.

P.S-Darwin is 65/35 split between AFL and League. The Rest of the NT, except Alice, is AFL though.

Macca

Coach
Sorry guys but. . . . . hang on, I am not sorry. You guys are stupid. I havn't heard so much garbage since Rooster Cogburns last post. Northern Territory????????????? That's a real RL heartground isn't it? No! That is a topic for the distant future. Tassie??????????? No need to comment.

We do not have the players to support more than one new club. Maybe in a few years we will, but at the moment 16 is the limit. 20 teams is a dream.

I have an idea. How about we wait til our game is strong enough before we try to wreck it again.

Best season ever, 1995 - 20 teams.

Get a 2nd Queensland team in now, then bring back the Bears within 3 years, and bring in Wellington in 5 years.

The players are there. God, there are millions of Aussies and Kiwis playing in England. Queensland has loads of young talented players. Give them a chance.

thickos

First Grade
The Original Eye said:

Get a 2nd Queensland team in now, then bring back the Bears within 3 years, and bring in Wellington in 5 years.

The players are there. God, there are millions of Aussies and Kiwis playing in England. Queensland has loads of young talented players. Give them a chance.
The best season was 1994, 16 teams. There was a bit of dead weight floating around in 1995 (Cowboys, 2 wins). Plus the dogs won the comp so that was a bad year :evil:

Yer i think there should be more teams brought in. next team to enter comp should be anther qeensland team then the bears then a few years after that a 2nd NZ team then goldcoast ect

PARRA_FAN

Coach
thickos said:
The Original Eye said:

The best season was 1994, 16 teams. There was a bit of dead weight floating around in 1995 (Cowboys, 2 wins). Plus the dogs won the comp so that was a bad year :evil:

I agree 1994 was a great year, State of Origin's, CLub games, Test matches, they even had sellout crowds to the test matches. 1995 was a crap year, but it was meant to be a big year with 4 new teams in the comp. But then SL was invented, thank you Mr Murdoch :x .

I think there should be at least 16-18 teams in the comp, no bigger than 18 teams.

I think a 22-24 team comp is feasable and everyone only plays each other once

C'mon if we're thinking about a 24 team comp. you might as divide them into 2 divisions.

Pazza

First Grade
Lets focus on NSW, QLD and NZ. These are the strong lands of league and this is all that we need. Apart from Victoria (which is AFL crazy) we already have the most important areas in the country league heart land. Forget about South Australia, West Autralia, Northern Territory and Tasmania. There isnt anything there, total waste of resourses IMO.

I say lets get more teams into Queensland and New Zealand. Locate two teams in NZ in Wellington and Christchurch. While in QLD have a team on the gold coast and Rockhampton? Offer Salary cap concessions and hope they become successful.

ibeme

First Grade
How about having 97 teams in NSW representing each town/suburb with a population of over 3000. We'd limit teams to 1 in QLD, 1 in VIC and 1 in NZ to make it semi-national and we could relocate NQ to Bega. Each season could go for 8 years, and the final series, made up of the top 50, could go for another 2 years before the rep season kicks in.

nqboy

First Grade
Relocation, relocation, relocation. A couple of established clubs have to bite the bullet and move to Perth and Adelaide with a phase in period of a couple of years, increasing the number of games they play there each year and running clinics to build support. It's all about opening new markets, the clubs that have the courage to reach for the sky will become one-team towns, with all the benefits that that entails.

The NRL should be encouraging it, it will give them a truly NATIONAL Rugby League and make the sport so much more attractive to sponsors.

Planning should start now for a possible 2006 or 2007 move. Organise trials there as well as moving 1 or 2 games that won't attract a crowd at home anyway. Provide for Sydney supporters by promoting a season ticket that allows them entry to a couple of premium home games in Sydney as well as all the away games the club plays in Sydney.

PB

Bench
20 teams!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
break into the Northen Territory/Tasmania!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ha!

The AFL does not contemplate going back to 20 teams, and its participation rates are double that of league, and in terms of attendance they average over 3million more people through the gates each ear! 3 MILLION EACH YEAR!!!!!

I realise that most people on these board are pasionate about league, but you have to face it, we make up about 2% of the league supporting poulation at best!

Red Bear

Referee
This was a hypothetical situation AND like i said in no less than 20 years time. IMO Perth shoulda stayed in the comp rather than Melbourne. My ideal situation would be 24 team 2 divisions tho. And i would love to see St George f**k off and the Steelers come back.

eelandia

Juniors
PB said:
20 teams!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
break into the Northen Territory/Tasmania!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ha!

The AFL does not contemplate going back to 20 teams, and its participation rates are double that of league, and in terms of attendance they average over 3million more people through the gates each ear! 3 MILLION EACH YEAR!!!!!

I realise that most people on these board are pasionate about league, but you have to face it, we make up about 2% of the league supporting poulation at best!

FYI - their AFL participation rates include 'clinics' - like when they turn up to a school, they count each participant as an AFL junior which is very deceiving.

League and Soccer only count actual registered junior players.

PB

Bench
Well maybe the league and Soccer should look at running clinics in schools!!!! Wholey moley, run clinics at schools to get kids interetsed and playing the game.... Thats such a crazy idea, it just might work....

The reason they count them, is because those kids all pay to be involved in the 5 or 10 week clinics.

ibeme

First Grade
I'm quite certain league already runs clinics in schools, it's just that they don't count those numbers towards participation rates

PB

Bench
I am sure they do one off programs at different schools, but they don't run organised programs which teach the kids all about the sport. From managing a team, to the rules and skills of the game. I used to do some work as a development officer for the AFL and they have a program which unfortunatly craps all over anything that League does. And when we are wondering what we have to do to get league no.'s back up, then look no further than what is being done in primary and junior high schools by the AFL.

Surandy

Bench
GoTheBears said:
This was a hypothetical situation AND like i said in no less than 20 years time. IMO Perth shoulda stayed in the comp rather than Melbourne. My ideal situation would be 24 team 2 divisions tho. And i would love to see St George f**k off and the Steelers come back.

Melbourne has done better than Perth did when you look at home crowds. Not too bad considered the sub-standard facilities we have to put up with at Olympic Park.

Melbourne Storm is here to STAY!!!

fatshark

Bench
IMO...piss Cronulla off.

100% Agree. You should be running the game champion!

I think youve given to many Gobys Goby. People like you should be put out of their misery as you waste to much oxygen.

A deadset dumb ass subject with some dumbass contributions.

DIEHARD

----
ibeme said:
How about having 97 teams in NSW representing each town/suburb with a population of over 3000. We'd limit teams to 1 in QLD, 1 in VIC and 1 in NZ to make it semi-national and we could relocate NQ to Bega. Each season could go for 8 years, and the final series, made up of the top 50, could go for another 2 years before the rep season kicks in.

I think its what alot of the people around here would like. The stupid, selfish and short sighted ones that is.

Latest posts