What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2001 Knights V 2012 Knights

billy2

Juniors
1 Robbie O V Boyd - Boyd just
2 T V Aku - Aku just
3 Midley V T - Midley just (2001 was his worst year)
4 Hughes V Sau - close, But Sau on his best form
5 Doogs V Jimmy - Doogs
6 Rudder V Mullen - Mullen by a long way
7 Johns V Kidley - Johns by a long way
8 Parsons V Snowden - Snowden just
9 Buderus V Buderus - I'll go for young Buderus
10 Perry V Tui - Perry
11 Simmo V House - Simmo
12 Kennedy V Taia - Kennedy
13 Peden V Edwards - Peden

14 Obrien V Hilder - Hilder
15 Grief V Faas - Faas
16 Marquet V Costigan - Costigan
17 Abraham V Tetevano - Tetevano

Starting 13 in 2001 was stronger in the halves and forwards and slightly weaker in the backs. Current bench and especially the depth below the top 17 was is much stronger.

Joey would be the difference. 2001 side by 10.

Silent Knight

First Grade
God I feel old. 2001 was my first year at University. If only Johns could have ended his career on his own terms. I saw the last game he ever played down in Canberra :cry:

That 2001 squad was phenomenal. The crowds, the Newcastle chant, the cameraderie and optimistic vibe around town. It was a good year to be alive. It was a golden age.

Matt23

Staff member
1 Robbie O V Boyd
2 T V Aku - Aku
3 Midley V T - Midley
4 Hughes V Sau - Sau
5 Doogs V Jimmy - Doogs
6 Rudder V Mullen - Mullen
7 Johns V Kidley - Johns
8 Parsons V Snowden - Parsons
9 Buderus V Buderus - 2001 Vintage
10 Perry V Tui - Perry
11 Simmo V House - Simpson
12 Kennedy V Taia - BK

15 Grief V Faas - Faas
17 Abraham V Tetevano - Abraham

Joey would have made the difference, 2001 by 8

aqua_duck

Coach
1 Robbie O V Boyd
2 T V Aku - Aku
3 Midley V T - Midley
4 Hughes V Sau - Sau
5 Doogs V Jimmy - Doogs
6 Rudder V Mullen - Mullen
7 Johns V Kidley - Johns
8 Parsons V Snowden - Parsons
9 Buderus V Buderus - 2001 Vintage
10 Perry V Tui - Perry
11 Simmo V House - Simpson
12 Kennedy V Taia - BK

15 Grief V Faas - Faas
17 Abraham V Tetevano - Abraham[/B

Joey would have made the difference, 2001 by 8
I personally would have Snowden>Parsons, Parsons was a solid club prop, Snowden has NSW and test jumpers in his cabinet. Costigan will start at lock and I rate him above Peden, Edwards and Marquet would be close, and Cuthbertson would be ahead of Abes

red and blue

Juniors
I would have Hughes for Sau any day of the week. Hughes gave everything he had every time he went on that ground. He might not have been our greatest ever and he may not have had all the skills but when it comes to guts and determination Hughes wins over Sau hands down. Just my opinon.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hughes had more heart than Sau but if I was an opposition centre I know who I'd rather be marking, and it isn't Junior Sau

RABK

Referee
Prime Johns, BK and Bedsy = 2001 by 20+. Stop taking the piss fella's.

Coastbloke

Bench
1 Robbie O V Boyd - Boyd just
2 T V Aku - Aku just
3 Midley V T - Midley just (2001 was his worst year)
4 Hughes V Sau - close, But Sau on his best form
5 Doogs V Jimmy - Doogs
6 Rudder V Mullen - Mullen by a long way
7 Johns V Kidley - Johns by a long way
8 Parsons V Snowden - Snowden just
9 Buderus V Buderus - I'll go for young Buderus
10 Perry V Tui - Perry
11 Simmo V House - Simmo
12 Kennedy V Taia - Kennedy

15 Grief V Faas - Faas
17 Abraham V Tetevano - Tetevano

Starting 13 in 2001 was stronger in the halves and forwards and slightly weaker in the backs. Current bench and especially the depth below the top 17 was is much stronger.

Joey would be the difference. 2001 side by 10.

This is what happens when you have a off season...

RHCP

Bench
2001 team won the premiership, if the 2012 team can do that it will be time for comparisons.

Hughes had more heart than Sau but if I was an opposition centre I know who I'd rather be marking, and it isn't Junior Sau

I reckon Hughes would run rings around Sau. He was a bloody good centre and could probably take sau easily in defence.

Whilst talking about Hughes and his heart. How good did he play for that series for NSW when he played fullback. He was solid as a house and copped all sorts of punishment but just kept goin like the true champ he was.

Big Pete

Referee
The Hughes selection was a lot like Kidleys.

He wasn't terrible, but he came up with a few errors and should not have been selected before Hodgson.

Johns Magic

Referee

Sau can't pass to save his life, but makes up for it by being so damaging close to the line that he scored...4 tries in 21 games this year. Almost as good as his 7 tries the year before that, and his 6 tries the year before that. That's a terrible strike rate for a centre.

Opposition centres obviously shake in their boots marking him...as must the opposite winger.

Sau has been all huff and puff the last few years in attack, though his work in carting it out of our end is good. It's time for him to start delivering on this supposed attacking potential he has.

He's no certainty to be in my starting 17 if I was to pick one today.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Just the point I was about to make JM

Jnr quite often takes the wrong option in attack, electing to take on the line too often when a simple draw and pass would have yielded far better results. Its easy to remember the times when it payed off, but the times he has butchered plays are far more numerous.

His defence is even worse. I have rarely seen a guy so short and powerful attempt to tackle so high and get pushed off so often. He has the build to cut players down with venom, why he chooses to defend the way he does baffles me.

His 1st year with us was great but oppositions have worked him out and he simply hasnt adapted to the change.

perverse

Referee
Sau is certainly more likely to make room for Tahu than Wes is.

however, Bennett did choose to re-sign Sau, too.

also, Boozey did the state proud... it was as gutsy an effort as you'll ever see at origin, regardless of whether he should have been there or not.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
It amazes me that anyone would state that they would choose Sau over Hughes. Hughes was far more of the complete player than Sau. Hughes could set up trys and actually score them. I have a feeling he actually was the knights top try scorer one year, but I could be wrong. Sau has it over Hughes for leg drive, but that is about it. The best thing about Hughes is, 99 times out of a hundred he would make the correct decision in attack or defence. Can we say the same thing about Sau?

billy2

Juniors
It amazes me that anyone would state that they would choose Sau over Hughes. Hughes was far more of the complete player than Sau. Hughes could set up trys and actually score them. I have a feeling he actually was the knights top try scorer one year, but I could be wrong. Sau has it over Hughes for leg drive, but that is about it. The best thing about Hughes is, 99 times out of a hundred he would make the correct decision in attack or defence. Can we say the same thing about Sau?
Hughes was top tryscorer one year with something like 18.

Latest posts