What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2003 = premiership # 16

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The continuation of the Dragons' premierships was put on the agenda in early November.

Theexpected news will have Nathan Brown's Dragons side playing fora 16th premiership and 83rd season in 2003thus doing away with the nonsense that history ceased in 1999.

Congratulations to the club, both St George and Illawarra, for sorting this out withthe minimum of fuss.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragons set to bring history together

<table align=center border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="95%"> <tbody> <tr> <td align=left colspan=3 width="100%"> Its understood that the St George Illawarra Dragons will soon announce a plan which will see them retaining their proud 82 year history.
When the St George Dragons and the Illawarra Steelers merged in 1999 to form Rugby League's first successful joint venture, most sport historians immediately viewed this as a new club and new beginning.
Many Dragons supporters didn't agree and pointed to the St George first grade history, which began in 1921, as being too impressive to simply cast aside.
In all, St George have won 15 premierships including a world record run of 11 premierships in a row between 1956-66.
The Illawarra district with its huge junior base has often been acknowledged as a important factor in the St George success story but as a separate entity, the Illawarra Steelers won no premierships since entering the competition in 1982.
Matters came to a head when in 2001, the lower grade St George Illawarra Dragons won the First Division Grand Final. The club promoted this as being 'the 'first Dragons premiers' - a sentiment that didnt go down well with many Dragons' supporters.
Early last month, the matter was put on the agenda with officials coming to the view that there was probably room to bring together the history of the two clubs, thereby retaining the Dragons' past 15 premierships.
The announcement is expected to be well recieved.
In recent times, Dragons' fans have welcomed news of improvements at WIN Stadium Wollongong, a return to Kogarah Jubilee Oval for five games in 2003 and a new coaching team headed by popular former player, Nathan Brown - all have all been viewed in a positive light by the majority of supporters. From: www.leagueunlimited.com</td></tr></tbody></table>

L

legend

Well, premiership #16 will have to wait a while with Mark Riddell not happy at the Dragons and looking to get out. You lose him, you lose your goalkicker and most effective player. He said he wants to play in England or travel for a while. He was also fined $3000.00 for missing training recently. Hecan't handle the pressure with Riddell saying "i'm not sure I want to play at the moment". Riddell is also haiving weight problems and Brown said until he sheds the weight, he wont be in first grade.

What is it with St George? This is the third Dragonsplayer who has lost his love of the game while plying his trade in the red vee. Mundine, Blacklock and now Riddell. Even if he does return to footy, it will be just like Blacklock did, with no passion or heart.

Bring on round 3.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There is an AGM tonight at the Leagues Club and a number of issues are being dealt with including this.

The CEO will reveal all tonight but he has said that the deal is a compromise and theyare trying and keep everyone happy...although this isnt always possible... thats all until the meeting is done with.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
For the life of me, I have no idea what Mark Riddell or crikey... Solomon bloody Haumono have to do with the discussion.
There's been some hard lobbying to bring about the history return and while some may think its means little, imo, it's a much bigger issue than any single player.

From what I've observed, the club is slowly getting things back on an even keel after what is best described as an unsettling recent history.

L

legend

Probably not a great deal but considering it's a Dragons thread and it's titled 2003 = premiership # 16 I thought it best to inform you of Riddell's actions as i'm sure you are well aware, he is an integral (pardon the pun) part of the Dragons side, especially as their first choice goalkicker. It's all relative.

When Canberra win in round 3, i'll be sure to start our victory thread in the Raiders section.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Whenever this issue is discussed its just easier to say 2003 = #16. Its just so those who are sorting through it know exactly what they're talking about. For example, St Geore 15, Illawarra 0, Dragons in 2003 = #16.
Its just aclear (and positive) way of discussing the issue without any misunderstandings.

As for round three...are we playing Canberra? I hadn't noticed... that'll be two easy points to pencil in for the mighty Saints.

apparently the newspaper story today was crap, riddell was on the radio this morning saying that he will be ready for the start of the 2003 season....

Cheers,
Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
uhuh... good ole fish and chips wrappers...

During theyear, Riddell was starting to put on weight. When Brown came along, he and Daley (according to hearsay) convinced Riddell to shape up or ship out and he naturally took the better option.

I didnt read the paper.. I only read some stuff on the WORL forum. It sort of went against what I was told... that being that Riddell was now training the house down and was religiously looking afterhimself in regards to what he was eating.

I get the impression that the newspaper story was tapping into old news... wasn't a Murdoch publication by any chance?

E

Edwahu

Looks like the Riddell story had legs after all.
Id let him go and pick up Jamie Goddard. He might not make as much impact but he isnt afraid to do some hardwork.

Ruperts rags report objectively as always, and would never consider publishinga story just to fill pages.......................and Santas bringing me a lear jet for christmastoo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Still waiting for clarification, but according Dragons forummer, Slippery Steve on NineMsn Jubilee Avenue, who was at the AGM, this are the basics:

"One history, 15 premierships" - Peter Doust

"1921-2002: Our Proud History" - The Football Club Annual Report

First Grade Premierships: TOTAL 15 (St.George 15; Illawarra 0; St.George Illawarra 0). One history = 15 in total. The next one is #16.

Like I said, I'm still waiting for a call back to confirm this.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A 2003 premiership victory will be represented thus:
First Grade Premierships: TOTAL 16 (St.George 15; Illawarra 0; St.George Illawarra 1).
The TOTAL being the important thing. As Peter Doust said "One history, 15 premierships".

The Dragonsare a united force now which incorporates the history of both St.George and Illawarra and continues forward as St.George Illawarra. This was all done in consultation with David Middleton who is the official historian with the NRL

(Thanks to Slippery Steve who was at the AGM)

Crack open the champers.... :D

Willow

Assistant Moderator
From www.leagueunlimited.com
and SOTV

Rugby League News: <dl>Dragons: "One history, 15 premierships"
03/12/02</dl> <dl>
Further to yesterday's report, it has been announced at the St George Football Club Annual General Meeting (AGM) tonight that the history of the St George and Illawarra Dragons will be unified. Leagues Club CEO, Peter Doust declared, "One history, 15 premierships" - bringing huge applause from the assembled members. The revised history will acknowledge 82 years of history since St George joined the first grade in 1921 and Illawarra in 1982. Entitled, "1921-2002: Our Proud History" the Annual Report outlines the premierships in the following way: First Grade: St George 15; Illawarra 0; St George Illawarra 0
TOTAL: 15 A '2003 premiership victory' will be represented thus:
First Grade: St George 15; Illawarra 0; St George Illawarra 1
TOTAL: 16 The emphasis being on the TOTAL. The Dragons are now acknowledged as an united force which incorporates the history of both St George and Illawarra and continues forward as St George Illawarra. It's understood that the record book revision was done in consultation with David Middleton who is the NRL's official historian.</dl> <dl>Join a discussion
Legends World of Sport: Dragons Forum
League Unlimited Online: Front Row Forums</dl>

imported_E_A__

Juniors
I love it how Saints supporters can convince themselves of anything.

To the rest of us, and I accept that I don't speak for everyone else, in the highly unlikely event that St. George / Illawarra take out a premiership, it will be their first.

You call it what you like.

If my mob (Wests Tigers) won a comp, it'd be their first and both sides in that JV have a combined history that dwarfs StG/Illa's in combined years.

Stop living in the past, it just doesn't matter that much.

11 in a row?

Can be counteracted with...

When you think about the 11 in a row, pride builds, then some arsehole like me reminds you of 1975 and that pride departs quicker than a brown baby from one of oneye's doody gifs. I know the feeling Saints supporters get when 1975 is mentioned. It's reliving a death in the family type pain, so of course, being the gentleman that I am, I like them to revisit it, a lot.

It doesn't matter any more. All that matters is that your team will be belted from pillar to post again next season and you will all be disappointed, again. Aim lower, you'll live longer.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The difference between St George Illawarra supporters and Wests Tigers supporters is that we cared enough to fight for our history.

imported_E_A__

Juniors
BJ, how the fluckin' hell are you?

They automatically hone in on anything in Red and White. But you knew that. ;)

Willow, what's the point? Who are you going to impress? How do you fight for History?

Again, I don't profess to speak for any supporter of any other team but it seems to me that it's some sort of bizarre Masons secret handshake thing with Saints supporters. I know people like you, BJ, Neddie and a few others don't consider yourselves better than anyone else because you support Saints but others do, and those people exist and they exist in these communities. You all know to whom I'm referring.

Wests Tigers were thrown together out of necessity and are surviving. We don't have delusions of grandeur. We obviously hope that some time in the future we will be competitive to the point where we may win a Premiership, our first.

I also don't forget the History of the Wests Club and I won't forget, but that club is now part of a merged entity and I'm happy to accept that because the alternative was probably non existence. But being realistic is about acceptance. If Saints hadn't merged they may have gone. They merged and are surviving just like we are. In comparison, we haven't travelled as well as StG/Illawarra but that is only on paper and only in your eyes. As far as I'm concerned, we've done reasonably well with what we had. I'm sure that how I feel about how Wests Tigers have gone since the JV and how you feel Saints have gone since the JV aren't that different.

To consider the past of one of the merged clubs as the history of the merged club is just you making yourselves feel better.

Live in the now.

Latest posts