What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2005 Tri Nations: Game 2 - New Zealand v Australia *spoilers/match thread*

australia needs to sort its defense out...we've scored enough points in both games to win. Bringing Hindmarsh back into the team will help steady that part of the game but tate on the wing is a big weakness in defense as is lockyer. Maybe in defense lockyer to fullback, mini to wing, tate defend at centre and cooper defend 3 in as he does for the dragons when hornby defends at centre.

lockyno1

Post Whore
mickdo said:
If that's his attitude then he doesn't deserve to be national coach.

It's the reality. If a side is winning you are less likely to change a lineup. It is no just bennett but ALL coaches do it!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Nothing wrong with the Webb re-start call, he was letting the ball go dead and only touched it because he was shoved by an Aussie player, hence he never played at the football = 20m re-start to the kiwis.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
mickdo said:
If that's his attitude then he doesn't deserve to be national coach.

Awww, widdle Hindmarsh won't get a run. Tough titties. Go with what works - last nights team worked.

Deal with it.

i read somewhere that if a trainer had did what he did to one of andrew johns kicks at goal in a nrl game that theri points would have been stripped off them

Azkatro

First Grade
I know, that's what I'm just trying to look up now. It's not reported on NRL.com, wasn't in the Daily Tele's match report and it wasn't shown in the broadcast. I've also looked on nzrl.co.nz, ericssonstadium.co.nz, australianrugbyleague.com.au, bbc.co.uk, skysports.com, nzherald.co.nz and nothing.

Azkatro

First Grade
The madness of this crowd figure may well never be resolved. I know of the following numbers and sources:

- Official NRL 2005 Annual - published late 2005 - 16,258 (also reflected on rleague.com and Wikipedia)
- League Express Magazine - published three days after the game - 15,400
- The ABC of Rugby League - published September 2006 - 15,400
- 100 Years of Rugby League - published 2007 - 18,000

Given that two reputable sources (League Express, ABC of RL) give a crowd estimate of 15,400, and that an "official" volume in 100 Years of Rugby League gives a different figure than the "official" 2005 Annual (and also given the horrendous track record with regards to accuracy the NRL Annuals suffer), I am inclined to think that all three figures are estimates - with the 16,258 figure a sad attempt to come across as an exact, official count.

I can only guess that something went wrong with the counting on the day and no official number was available, hence estimates were relied upon. And it's for that reason it seems sensible to go with the most conservative estimate (and also the estimate provided by League Express, which would have almost certainly been given by a reporter at the venue at the time).

Azkatro

First Grade
It's just another example of the horrendous state of archiving in rugby league. It's fine if there was a problem determining the exact crowd number, but don't go off and make up some arbitrary figure and put it in the OFFICIAL annual of the game!

Latest posts