What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 AFL Toyota Grand Final - SYD v WCE *Live Updates*

CyberKev

Staff member
Sensational game of football and well done to both sides for putting on an engrossing classic.

Sydney looked gone at halftime, but they surged back wonderfully well and looked set to take the game for mine, until Chick's inspired play late for the goal to Hunter.

Congrats to Embley who was a worthy Norm Smith Medallist, even if I would have given it to Dean Cox.

In rating the players, I would have had Cox, Embley, Braun, Stenglein, Hunter Judd & Selwood in that order. Full marks, however, to Daniel Chick & Drew Banfield for both perpetuating some wonderfully inspiring plays at key moments.

For the Swans, Kirk was their best player on the day with Goodes struggling early but playing the key role in engineering the second half fightback. Ted Richards can hold his head high for an inspired performance, with Nic Fosdike and Tadgh Kennelly both doing well.

I think on the strength of the game as a whole the better team won.

To have a situation where the two sides could meet on five consecutive occasions and only be separated by a total of 12 points is truly astonishing though.

Great stuff!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Well at least we can say that the Swans do have heart. Unlucky boys, ONE f**king point. We can take our pick as to who to blame whether that is Hall or Bolton for both missing goals from directly in front pretty much. First half killed us.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Another piece of useless information which they said on the coverage

2005: Weagles beat Swans in Qualifying Final by 4 points
Swans beat Weagles in Grand Final by 4 points

2006: Swans beat Weagles in qualifying final by 1 point
Weagles beat Swans in Grand Final by 1 point

Freaky :crazy:

CyberKev

Staff member
Twizzle said:
Halls worst game of the year

in all fairness, the Weagles desereve this

they were by far the best team all year

No they weren't.

The ladder showed that it was a very tight season among a clump of sides.

For much of the season Adelaide were the top side, until a slew of their top players went down later in the year and they just got pipped for the minor premiership.

A tight result was a good way to end a tight and open season.

Good win for the Eagles.

NPK

Bench
I noticed a bit of bad form by some of the Eagles players when receiving their medals. They had little kids handing them out, and the players shook hands with them, except for the last 2 who received the medal, and immediately turned around and walked back ungratefully and rudely while the poor kid was standing there with his or her hand out looking for a handshake.

0neye

NPK said:
I noticed a bit of bad form by some of the Eagles players when receiving their medals. They had little kids handing them out, and the players shook hands with them, except for the last 2 who received the medal, and immediately turned around and walked back ungratefully and rudely while the poor kid was standing there with his or her hand out looking for a handshake.

Yes I too noticed their bad manners - there was at least 6 players who didn't bother to acknowledge the little kids - too caught up in their own ego!!!!!

BWNB

First Grade
LOL @ Adam Hunter just took the medal and walked away.
And there was another bloke who got the medal adn didnt even let the kid put it on him.
In all it was a pretty good game that became tight toward the end...

lockyno1

Post Whore
O'Keefe played well but not well enough for the Norm Smith. Great game. These two sides will play the GF next yr! Clearly the best 2 sides in the comp!

AuckMel

Bench
Much, much better than last year. Glad WC won. I thought Kerr may have won the NSM.

Roll on tomorrow night to complete a great sporting weekend.

meltiger

First Grade
El Diablo said:
i watched it a bit and none of the poofs seem to be able to kick a goal. they quite often missed the whole lot.

skills you say?

lmao

Can I sig file the bolded part :D

lockyno1

Post Whore
Collingwood Storm said:
just about the only bright spot for pies fans is the fact that we beat both of these teams this year

Oh great well done..pity you got your ass whooped in week 1 of the finals!:lol:

Kid

Juniors
Personally(and i'm definately no expert on the ping pong.) I didn't think the game was as good as last years. Not for the result, but more the execution by the swans. Never really in it until late, which made a great back 3rd and definately 4th quarter, but piss poor rest of the game as it appeared swans would get towelled up. Good fight back by them and jeez i wish they had won.....but realistically the best team today was WC. Congrats to them.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I actually thought it was a game of clagers all game! It wasn't very good quality and it was a joke in itself that sydney got as close as they did! If the Eagles could kick straight they would have been leading by 60 at half time!

Knightmare

Coach
I was going for West Coast, but I was still shaking 3 minutes after the final siren sounded. The Eagles deserved to win, they were the best team all along in the game.

stevo

Juniors
I said in another thread i hope we win by 1 point and we did. Bloody hell i was shaking for an hour after the final hooter went. For the last 5 minutes of the game i was crying.

Both teams made some mistakes that we usually don't see from either team. That miss from Hall was a shocker. Same with that one of Hunters. Both seamed to be off their game today. I was happy to see Embely get the NSM. He's a champ. I keep forgetting he's only 25. Feels like he's been playing forever.

Hopefully the boys can learn to kick straight during the break. They have been pretty ordinary lately and should have won quite easily. Same with earlier games. Too many behinds and posters for my liking.

I too was a bit disappointed at the guys that didn't shake the kiddies hands. I think they were a bit caught up in the win. I doubt it was an ego thing. From what i can remember and from what my sister says (my cousin dragged her around to all the Eagles social events last year) they are pretty nice guys.

Latest posts