What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 QLD SOO Side Based on this season

The_Coach

Juniors
Price, Stagg, and Harrison might be able to play 80mins in a normal game, but no forward plays the full 80 in Origin. Kennedy, Hindmarsh, and Fitzgibbon don't.

I just hope QLD realise they have to match NSW with mobility and stamina and pick players like Harrison or even Johnson instead of slugs like Thorn.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The_Coach said:
Price, Stagg, and Harrison might be able to play 80mins in a normal game, but no forward plays the full 80 in Origin. Kennedy, Hindmarsh, and Fitzgibbon don't.

I just hope QLD realise they have to match NSW with mobility and stamina and pick players like Harrison or even Johnson instead of slugs like Thorn.

The last sentence I agree with you on. As a Queensland fan it annoys me quite a bit when we pick slow uys like Thorn and Ross!

Big Pete

Referee
1. Matt Bowen
2. Willie Tonga
3. Justin Hodges
4. Brent Tate
5. Matt Sing
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Scott Prince
8. Danny Nutley
8. Cam Smith
10. Steve Price
11. Petero Civnoiceiva
12. Brad Thorn
13. Ash Harrison

14. Carl Webb
15. Ben Ross
16. Mick Crocker
17. Johnothan Thurston

lockyno1

Post Whore
Good side Pete except Tonga on the WING! He is too slow for a winger. Ty Williams did nothing wrong this year. Ben Ross is a liability, another slow bloke. The bench needs more speed.

Smartman

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Good side Pete except Tonga on the WING! He is too slow for a winger. Ty Williams did nothing wrong this year. Ben Ross is a liability, another slow bloke. The bench needs more speed.

Youre really underestimating Tonga, hes one of the quickest players in the comp. He looks slow because of his running style and the bulldogs backline improves ten fold when hes playing.

Big Pete

Referee
I was thinking of including someone with a more all round game besides from a bit of speed and one thing we did lack was the size of our backline. Tonga is a strong, fast player who will be an unknown entity for next year. Also put him outside of Hodges (who will probably be even better than this year) and you have a combonation of dangerous proportions.

Ross is only there for a lack of a better forward really however he has proven himself at Origin level (Game 1 this year).

lockyno1

Post Whore
Smartman said:
Youre really underestimating Tonga, hes one of the quickest players in the comp. He looks slow because of his running style and the bulldogs backline improves ten fold when hes playing.

He still isn't a winger!

LESStar58

Referee
1. Lockyer
2. Williams
3. Bowman
4. Berrigan
5. Slater/Sing
6. Thurston
7. Prince/Smith
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoneceiva
11. Crocker
12. Thorn
13. Johnson

14. Flannery
15. Webb
16. harrison
17. Bowen

Anyone know if Sing is going to play rep footy in 06?

Meanie

Juniors
1. Billy Slater
2. Greg Inglis
3. Justin Hodges
4. Brent Tate
5. Matt Sing
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Scott Prince
8. Steve Price
9. P.J Marsh
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Mick Crocker
12. David Stagg
13. Ashley Harrison
14. Jonathon Thurston
15. Carl Webb
16. Ben Ross
17. Dallas Johnson or Nate Myles

Bookie

Juniors
Slater
Tate
Hannay
Bowman
Hodges [he can play leftside, dont worry]
Lockyer
T Smith
Nutley
C Smith
Price (C)
Stagg
Civoniceva
Thorn

Crocker
Ross
Webb/Flannery [depending on what they want - mental game or a fill in]
Bowen

LESStar58

Referee
I think on the back of the season they have had (esp if they win the Grand final and carry on their form in 06) there needs to be room made for Hannay and Bowman. Maybe having a pair of centres that work so well at club level and know each others game can help QLD out a la Gansier and Cooper...I still say berrigan should retain his spot cos of the extra mongrel he gives the outside backs...

I was disappointed with Bowen in his first run on apperance. They went with Bowen over Slater because they thought using the Cows back 3 at state level would help out bt Bowen didnt do much at all. He needs to be injected into the game midway through the 2nd half when the opposition forwards are tired and Bowen can carve em up around the ruck...

i'd be tempted to se the halves combo of Thurston at 6 and Prince at half but i don't know how Locky would go back at fullback. Sure he can still be used as a 3rd option with kicking as Thurston and Prince have outstanding kicking games as well and everyone has seen how effective Locky is with the ball in his hands as a last tackle option...come up too quick and he'll carve you up!

timmeah

Juniors
Am i watching the same Origins here. Why do we keep picking Berrigin. Just because he is a great club player doesn't mean he is a great Origin player. And from what I've seen he just doesn't do enough in Origin each year. I thought the backline in 04 the selectors finally got the backline right all they had to do was muck around with the forwards and we would of had a great side for the future. So what did they do this year was keep the old boring forwards and mess with the backline. Qld used to be loyal to their players but only if they won and played well. I hate to remind people but we were hammered in the end this year and some players played very poorly. And I've got question Lockyear as captain for Queensland. He just doesn't have what it takes. His leadership just disapears when the chips are down. He was pretty disapointing in the last match this year. I think let him be the best player for Qld but give the leadership to someone who wants it. I think Crocker is the one for me because he has a little bit of mongrel in him and seems to be out of sorts with Gus(even better). I'm just sick of losing. Some Queenslanders just seem to close their eyes to the reality of performances. And as for Tim Smith move over Lockyear in a couple of years. The kid is a superstar. Closley by Inglis who somehow is going to be Qlder who originates from NSW country.

LESStar58

Referee
Ingliss qualifys for Queensland because he began his sneior career with Brisbane Norths...

Jackal Dog

Juniors
1. Darren Lockyer
2. Ty Williams
3. Brent Tate
4. Justin Hodges/ Willie Tonga
5. Rhy Wesser/ Billy Slater
6. Jonathon Thurston
7. Scott Prince
8. Steve Price
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civinoceva
11. David Stagg
12. Michael Crocker
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Ben Ross
15. Carl Webb
16. Nate Myles
17. PJ Marsh

Lockyer, Thurston and Prince have to all be in the team IMHO they are all too good to leave out.

We have a lot of youngsters who could step up to the plate in SoO, should be a great series next year!

1. Lockyer

2. Williams
3. Hodges
4. Tate
5. Sing (Slater if Sing is retired)
6. Thurston
7. Prince
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civinoceva
11. Stagg
12. Thorn
13. Harrison

14. Nutley
15. Thaiday
16. Webb
17. Bowen

Other players to make the squad: Slater, Ross, Crocker, Inglis, S Berrigan

I highly doubt that Lockyer will get the move back to fullback. I am confident that the selectors will keep him at 5/8, with Thurston and Prince to yet again fight it out for the number 7. I'd say then that the fullback spot will be contested closely by Slater and Bowen again.

Only problem I see with Ty Williams is his size. Up against the larger NSW wingers this year he struggled, however I think he is deserving of a spot on the wing more than others. Sam Thaiday to be the origin bolter, with possibly Inglis too being a bolter. I think that Payne will put alot of pressure on Cameron Smith this year too after having 2 very good seasons for the Cowboys. Also, PJ Marsh will come into heavy contention too for the hooking role. Good to see Queensland with a fair bit of depth for next year, hopefully injuries are kind to us, and Dane Carlaw and Corey Parker don't come into consideration!

Corbin

Juniors
fourxman said:
This what i believe the Qld Side next year would like if it was based on Season 2005.

1. Lockyer (Broncs)
2. Williams (Boys)
3. Berrigan (Broncs)
4. Hannay (Boys)
5. Slater (Storm)
6. Thurston (Boys)
7. Prince (Tigers)
8. Price (Warriors)
9. Smith (Storm)
10. Nutley (Sharks)
11. Civenocieva (Broncs)
12. Webb (Boys)
13. Harrison (Bunnies/Rooters)

14. Bowen (Boys)
15. Crocker (Rooters/Storm)
16. Thorn or Stagg (Broncs)
17. Bowman (Boys)

Boys - 6
Broncs - 4
Storm - 3
Rooters, Sharks, Tigers, Warriors - 1

BTW Let's hope Chris Flannery does not get a look in next year

pretty crap dude, its really old...

Barrowmundi

I reckon having Nutley and Price a starting props is awesome, as both can go the full 80 if needed, both tackle there arses off and both make great meters. Also in Nuts only SOO appearance this year he gave all he had and showed heart unlike most of his teamates in this years series. And I loved it when Ryles and Bailey both went for the massive shoulder charge on him and he just bounced off while they fell flat on their arses.

GO NUTS!!!!

lockyno1

Post Whore
I think to win the SOO, we need to take a few punts. Here are some

Tim Smith (I know he is young but he has a great kicking game)
Stagg (great defender)
Hodges (turned his career around this year)
Harrison (Carroll's time is up, we need another ballplayer)
Tronc (bench)

Latest posts