What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006 Triple J Hottest 100

Steel Dragon

Bench
The thing with your Powderfingers and Lilly Allens and so on and so forth, is that JJJ plays their songs months before commercial radio has even heard of them. Take Natalie Imbruglia for example - her album was played on jjj around '97 several months before the rest of Aus caught up, which was sorta strange given her Neighbours background and the JJJ tendancies towards tall poppy syndrome.

Once these bands have commercial success, unless you really dig the band, you hear the songs played ad nauseum, and you get sick of them quick smart. - Alex Lloyd anyone?

His first album (black the Sun - i think) was huge on JJJ, then the next one (Watching Angels Mend, i believe) killed the H100 - then commercial radio picked him up and if i hear Amazing one more time i'll slit my wrists.

The fact is - commercial radio only play 'safe' music. Therefore JJJ play more 'risky' stuff, and if it becomes successful, it in turn becomes 'safe' and fine to play on commercial radio. There is an endless number of bands/artists you can throw in this category; Scissor Sisters, Pearl Jam, Franz Ferdinand, Wolfmother, KoRn, Gnarls Barkley, Grinspoon, The Living End - and so on and so forth.............

Hopefully ive made my point.

Latest posts