What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2006?

Manfred Moore

Juniors
Bring it on i say.

I must admit 2005 was a great year. So this new one will have a lot to live up to. Also having a soft spot for the sharkies over the years i was happy for our 2005 agreement and obviously unhappy about its demise.

However its onwards and upwards to a new year! What i want to do is get to know the names/potential of some of the new jets faces.

There seems to be plenty of potential coming thru the roosters ranks (as always you gotta say). Young guns like this kid Josh Lewis, Wayne Pearce's son Mitch etc. they would obviously be Flegg stars but who knows it'd be nice to see them step up to Premier at some stage.

The way the kid Jamie Soward is playing and the way Brett Finch seems on the nose we could have the referees boss' son playing for us!! He found himself on the outer a few times last year so its possible.

And lets not forget the old stayer Johnny Doyle. Ex Queensland state of origin and coming back from injury to the Big Show with a point to prove. When was the last time we had at least one maybe two State of Origin level players donning the Royal Blue!

Anyway...I'm just trying to get some excitement going for the new year. See you all at Henson AND especcially in 2006 more AWAY games.

Manfred

ozzie

Bench
being true red white and blue for many years I'm looking forward to the partnership. I can only see benefits for both clubs. I am looking forward to a return to the home of the Bluebags for a few matches. The last time I was there was when the Roosters used the ground for a season or two while the Sports Ground was being rebuilt

Manfred Moore

Juniors
So what are the chances that B. Finch will start a jet???

Many self appointed experts say it wont be long cos Soward wants to play half and apparentally deserves his shot with Anasta at five eighth, Flannery/Harrison/Fitzy locking the scrum. On paper its a fair first grade team no matter which way you look at it. So i think there will be some quality players who will miss out and be looking to force their way back in.

Personally i hope they hold that Nigel Plum back from full time first grade...i reckon he would be a real cult hit at Henson (much like Thommo was)

Anyhows looking forward to seeing who plays. As long as the passion and the fire is there when they don our jersey....and that they sing the club song with gusto and pride then i guess it dont matter a hell of alot.

MFred

ozzie

Bench
Finch let us down with an attitude problem last year, It is reported that he is doing a lot more fitness work - but his kicking game needs to improve 100% IMO before he seals a regular first grade spot this year. I believe Soward will start with the Jets and then into the First side by round 6.

NZ Jet

Juniors
Let's not dance around it guys...........

WER'E GOING TO WIN THE COMP THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(someone had to come out and say it)

Up the Blues

D

Deleted member 10972

I really feel sorry for Flannery. He has been a champion for the club, but he hasn't had the best impact at second row. He is a ball-playing lock, but the moment our club's starting lock leaves, we instead opt for purchasing another lock. Nothing against Harrison, who is all quality, but Flannery shouldn't play second row. He is better as a utility off the bench. What i am hoping to see is:

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Ryan Cross
5. Joel Monaghan (unless Newtown is supplying any quality wingers)
6. Braith Anasta
7. Jamie Soward
8. David Shillington
9. John Doyle/Heath L'Estrange
10. Adrian Morley
11. Nigel Plum
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Chris Flannery
15. Craig Wing
16. Mickey Paea
17. Anthony Tupou

I am still furious at the losses of Ben Hannant, George Rose, Jason Cayless & Michael Crocker. That was the entire depth of the pack, & now the ever-formidable Bondi Junction engine room looks painfully thin for 2006. We have Morley, Shillington, Flannery, Fitzgibbon, Harrison, Plum, Tupou, Shackleton, Mickey & Lopini Paea, Edmondson, Tonga, Hall, Dumas, Meredith & Schubert. Which is good, but imagine if Hannant, Rose, Cayless, Crocker, & even Ned Catic & Stuey Webb who are now leaving. It just lacks the menace, & players such as Fletcher, & Cusack are still sorely missed.

Although i hope John Doyle can execute the Dean Young role superbly for us. That would be a huge bonus.

LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
I really feel sorry for Flannery. He has been a champion for the club, but he hasn't had the best impact at second row. He is a ball-playing lock, but the moment our club's starting lock leaves, we instead opt for purchasing another lock. Nothing against Harrison, who is all quality, but Flannery shouldn't play second row. He is better as a utility off the bench. What i am hoping to see is:

1. Anthony Minichiello
2. Amos Roberts
3. Iosia Soliola
4. Ryan Cross
5. Joel Monaghan (unless Newtown is supplying any quality wingers)
6. Braith Anasta
7. Jamie Soward
8. David Shillington
9. John Doyle/Heath L'Estrange
10. Adrian Morley
11. Nigel Plum
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Ashley Harrison

14. Chris Flannery
15. Craig Wing
16. Mickey Paea
17. Anthony Tupou

I am still furious at the losses of Ben Hannant, George Rose, Jason Cayless & Michael Crocker. That was the entire depth of the pack, & now the ever-formidable Bondi Junction engine room looks painfully thin for 2006. We have Morley, Shillington, Flannery, Fitzgibbon, Harrison, Plum, Tupou, Shackleton, Mickey & Lopini Paea, Edmondson, Tonga, Hall, Dumas, Meredith & Schubert. Which is good, but imagine if Hannant, Rose, Cayless, Crocker, & even Ned Catic & Stuey Webb who are now leaving. It just lacks the menace, & players such as Fletcher, & Cusack are still sorely missed.

Although i hope John Doyle can execute the Dean Young role superbly for us. That would be a huge bonus.

This is all well and good if one has an NRL or first grade fetish but really it all counts for zip at the P/L end of the game?
The majority of these "players" have most likely never even heard of Henson Park and the likelihood of the big names ever being relegated to Premier league and playing for the Jets is remote (as in pluto)!
The day I see Braif or little Mini etc runnin round Henson then I'll eat my hat!

Manfred Moore

Juniors
The Jets aren't into players with big names.

We're into players with big hearts.

We don't care who you are as long as you are prepared to have a dig.

Although i'm sure every player yearns to play first grade, there will be more than enough in this lot who will get a real buzz out of donning the royal blue and giving their all in front of the Henson Park faithfull.

Miracle Balls

Juniors
I'm not trying to be a smartarse here, but Newtown's new alliance with the Roosters intrigues me from a fans POV. I'm guessing that the playing ranks in 2006 is now drastically different to the group of players you cheered for last season. I watched your semi last year against the Dragons and absolutely loved the colour and atmosphere you brought with you, but I know for me it would be very difficult to maintain the enthusiasm with a totally new set of players in the following season. I'd be really interested to know how you guys deal with this situation.

greg

Juniors
New players , yes, same old traditional/historical jersey, yes! The players are part of it but whoever dons the royal blue becomes a part of history. Yes there are favourite players that come and go but its the history of the famous old club that lives on and is a pleasure to follow.

Manfred Moore said:
The Jets aren't into players with big names.

We're into players with big hearts.

We don't care who you are as long as you are prepared to have a dig.

Although i'm sure every player yearns to play first grade, there will be more than enough in this lot who will get a real buzz out of donning the royal blue and giving their all in front of the Henson Park faithfull.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that the Jets were into big names, heaven knows we got our fingers burnt that way back in 1980/1, but what I should have more clearly articulated was that in this day and age half of the players on the quoted list would be wrapped in cotton wool rather than relegated.
In days gone by players, if off their game or they were carrying a minor ailment they often found themselves back a grade until they picked up. I remember Tommy R (superstar) playing second grade for many weeks back in 81 but then that was a long time ago - maybe I am too old and not hip anymore?
Like the term or not though a lot of "big names" these days represent a huge investment and on the part of their respective clubs its a case of heaven forbid that they ever get dropped back a grade!
In ending the list put up would be fine if one was an Easts NRL fan but lowly old me who only cares for the Newtown P/L side was slightly bemused at its relevance to the P/L comp which by the way is far better than anything the NRL circus can come up with!

Manfred Moore

Juniors
Very true Bob. Most of the higher profile roosters will never play premier league considering the bucks they are on.

And yes even good ol Tommy did find himself on the outer way back then until Wazza got a hold of him.

But don't go there....1981....it STILL hurts!!!

Anyway I started this thread i spose to get to know some of the 'lesser' lights who will be turning out for the jets this year. Fact is that the Roosters have such depth that we will have a quailty number 7 this year (barring injury). This for me is half the battle. With Braith supposedly playing in the 6, there isnt room for both Soward and Finch. I dont care who we get. One on the way up or one desperate to get back to his origin form. I agree with Ozzie that it'll be Soward for a while. And btw i think Soward is going to be a big name if he isnt already.

The point is that posting a possible first grade team on here is fine but who does that leave playing for the jets?

I spose this also answers your question Ballsy, that like Greg said we follow whoever wears the jersey and wears it with pride....but yeah getting to know a whole new group is difficult initially hence the thread!!!

girvie

Staff member
Last year the Roosters played Soward on the bench quite a bit which could mean both Finach and Soward are playing NRL. If that happened i don't kno who you would have playing halfback.

Possible Jets line-up
1 Aiden Kirk
2 Michael Lett
3 Vince Mellars
4 Lelea Paea
5 Sam Perrett
6 Josh Lewis
7 ?
8 Mickey Paea
9 Heath L'Estrange
10 Glenn Hall
11 Shane Shackleton
12 Adam Schubert
13 Lopini Paea

14 Steve Meredith
15 Lafi Manua
16 Daniel Dumas
17 John Doyle

It's a very strong team.

malteser

Juniors
Does anyone know if there has been a standout at training. i am aware that Newtown have a huge train on squad of around 60 players. 30 odd joining in after xmas. I realise that a lot will be Jim Beam, but will someone break into Premier league from here. I know of a couple of guy's who are in the squad, but they are trying their best to stay in the squad.
has any one got any ideas of a proposed Jim Beam team?

jets fan

Juniors
yeah that sounds good could you try to split it into say top fitness for forwards, backs and halves.

jets fan

Juniors
yeah that sounds good if anyone does reply can they split it into fittest forwards,backs and halves.

hrundi99

First Grade
yeah that sounds good if anyone does reply can they split it into fittest forwards,backs and halves.

Bluebag

Juniors
IMO the standouts are our forwards, Davis Vial who has even impressed Roosters coaching staff, Kiel and Ricky Roberts are also pushing hard. Lafi Manua has lost a lot of wait and my personal favourite Rimini Reweti who has just returned from the Roosters full time squad.

I anticipate several players from the triallists being cut very soon as many have not turned up in any sort of fitness expected at this level.

jets fan

Juniors
i'll have a crack at a team based on last years dont know who is coming from the roosters
1.H.Hughes
2.R.Lyons
3.N.McMahon
4.A.LeBreton
5.J.Berkley
6.R.Roberts/S.Porter
7.R.Dickson/M.Habojan
8.C.Aho
9.K.Roberts
10.Richie unsure of the last name but doing very well
11.D.Vial
12.R.Rewati