What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007....Are we really looking at a long year?

*Sandy*

First Grade
I'm sure the Cronulla fans would be thinking we are bunch of spoilt whinging brats. :lol:

Big Mick

Referee
If we were to sign absolutely noone at all....what would your side be?

Mine:
1. Rhys Wesser
2. Michael Gordon
3. Luke Lewis
4. Michael Jennings
5. Luke Rooney
6. Jarrod Sammut
7. Craig Gower
8. Joel Clinton
9. Luke Priddis
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Trent Waterhouse
12. Tony Puletua
13. Shane Rodney

14. Matthew Cross
15. Frank Pritchard
16. Junior Moors
17. Paul Aiton

Still a good team...particularly if Sammut and Jennings hit their straps early.

Plenty of speed in the backline...still got good forwards...but quality depth is quite skinny in the forwards.

Kilkenny

Coach
The Panthers will still have the basis of a highly competitive side. While we obviously lack depth and quality in key areas perhaps this will not be a problem in 2008 when some of our representative juniors will be breaking into the top grade.

I think having a new coaching team with fresh ideas is a positive and will prove to be a master stroke by the club's management.

While it will be sad to see Preston move on I think we've all come to realise it is for the best. The balance of the side and our well documented problems with our right side defence with Preston defending on the wing has become a real liability we can no longer manage.

The ironic thing about this season, and I'm not suggesting we performed particularly well, is we have lost two golden point games and a couple of other close ones where we could or should have got the two points. With a little bit more luck we could actually be sitting in the top 4 with 22 points or so and if everything wouldn't seem quite to doom and gloom.

Big Mick

Referee
but that was the same as last year Kilkenny...games we should have won, we didn't.

Problem is we have forgotten how to get ahead...and go on with it. We've forgotten how to win and win convincingly.

If we signed noone, but I saw that team i posted above in Round 1...i'd cop some loses and i'd cop the fact we signed noone...because we are giving the young guns a go.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
but that was the same as last year Kilkenny...games we should have won, we didn't.

Problem is we have forgotten how to get ahead...and go on with it. We've forgotten how to win and win convincingly.

If we signed noone, but I saw that team i posted above in Round 1...i'd cop some loses and i'd cop the fact we signed noone...because we are giving the young guns a go.

I agree with you. We dont seem to have ability to post high scores or have convincing victories due to:
  • We lack flair and creativity.
  • We arguably have the worst kicking game in the NRL. Particularly when Gowie is out Preston's kicking game is atrocious.
  • We concede more tries in the first five minutes of games and in last 60 seconds before half time/full time than any other side in the competition.
  • We have the most basic game plan in the NRL with little or no second phase play and opposition defences in the main easily cope with our attack.
  • We have too many players who have hands like feet.
  • We only have AITON, PRIDDIS and WESSER who are able to make linebreaks on a regular basis or who threaten to trouble opposition defences.

Big Mick

Referee
I agree and i've brought up that infamous 5 minute syndrome on PI.

I went through every round and found that in all but 1 game this season...we've conceded a try in the first 5 or last 5 of each half. These periods of the game decide matches. This is what great teams do consistently.

Kicking....well don't get me started. Everyone wants to jump on Rooney about how he is out of form...has our gameplan actually included him? When is the last time anyone has seen an attacking kick for Rooney's wing?...Early 2004?

When is the last time you saw a quick guy running off the shoulder of our second rowers?

When I saw Junior Moors should get a run people tell me that he has hands like feet or can't tackle. Sounds exactly like a few players in our team. May as well give him a go the last few rounds.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
When I saw Junior Moors should get a run people tell me that he has hands like feet or can't tackle. Sounds exactly like a few players in our team. May as well give him a go the last few rounds.

You and I have had our disagreements on numerous occasions over Junior Moors.

My frustration with Moors is he has not not shown any form at all to justify the huge wraps which have been placed upon him.

I spoke to one of the fathers of a Premier League player at the Western Weekender two weeks ago and he summed Junior up perfectly. (Quote) "Junior has more natural talent than just about any young forward I've ever seen or played with. He's got it all, pace, power, size and a great off load. The sad thing is he'll never make it in the NRL. He's too lazy and no first grade coach is going pick him as he is a liability in defence."

The one thing we agree on is we both hope I am wrong and he develops into a top line NRL player.

Big Mick

Referee
Thats why I might want to try him in the centres....I have seen him and have been impressed and disappointed on occasions...but as you said...he has it all, pace, power, size and a great offload. I think he'd be BRILLIANT at centre. He would certainly hold his own and bust tackles.

Personally I think he is craving a challenge. I think he gets bored easily especially in premier league. I know for a fact he was all but on the plane for the north queensland match as 18th man. In turn Matthew Bell took his spot. Surely that dents a young mans confidence. I know it'd dent mine. To be so close to a dream, to almost touch it but something or someone is holding you back.

While he may be lazy on the field, he is known to put in on the training ground, he just seems bored in my opinion. In the last 5 weeks if we are out of finals contention, i'd throw him on the bench just to give him the taste of first grade. Its just to tempt him as to what is possible.

After that, he's got the off-season to figure out what he wants. Whether he wants to be bored and not challenged at all....or be challenged, excited and play to the best of his ability in the best competition of all.

We did this in 2002 with Waterhouse etc...last 5 or so rounds...it's time we work on this model yet again.

choc_soldier

Coach
Put it this way - Moors is part of this year's 25 man squad, so obviously he has something. Give him a go, I say.

Kilkenny

Coach
As I would be the first to admit. I hope I am wrong. I will only be too happy if Junior develops into another Big T. Can't see it, but god I hope I'm wrong.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have been critical of the lack of involvement Junior Moors has at Premier League level. I don't doubt he has the size, speed and ability to succeed but I have doubted he has the mental attributes to succeed at the top level. I thought he was good against the Raiders on the weekend, played more minutes on the field than he normally does and was heavilly involved both in attack and defence. He looked good.

He is definitely going to get the opportunity in 2007 with Pulutea, Stapleton and Swain no longer around and it looking increasingly likely our only recruits will be from Premier League, Queensland Cup etc.

Kilkenny

Coach
Tamazoid said:
Why don't you train Aiton to be a five eighth?

Because you need players playing in there natural or best positions. Aiton has played hooker since he came to club and he is not a 5/8. He does not have a kicking game which is crucial to the 5/8 position.

Assuming it is unlikely we will sign a recognised 5/8 for 2007 we are going to have to fill the position from within. That being said the candidates would appear to be Peter Wallace, Craig Trindall, Jarrod Sammut or perhaps Liam Campbell.

From what I have seen the obvious and best candidate is clearly Craig Trindall. I was sceptical when he came to the club from Windsor but having watched him closely he has all the attributes to make a go of the 5/8 position next season. He has good speed, great passer, good kicking game, very solid in defence and is a competent goalkicker. In addition, as anyone who watched the Premier League on the weekend can attest he can kick field goals too. Kicked one on the stroke of half time from the best part of 40-45 metres out. Sailed over the black dot, never looked like missing. Trindall would be the ideal foil for Gowie and best of all would not have to be hidden in defence.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
Aiton is an impact player.

End of.

Impact player as in off the bench?

Where would you squeeze him into the starting 13? I can't see it personally unless Priddo was injured. If you play him as the starting lock you run the risk of robbing him of his impact status ie when he comes into the game at 20-25 minute mark when opposition defences are starting to tire around the ruck area. IMO we don't want to turn Aiton into a work horse as it will be to the detriment of his attacking abilities. He is not a playmaker, first or second receiver which is the role of the 5/8. He is a dummy half, this is his role and always will be.

Keith Peters is suffering a similar fate from his lack of size and the fact he is not a natural play maker. He has been drafted into the hooking role in the Premier League in recent weeks and his future looks like being in that position. The emergence of Jarrod Sammut has probably contributed to Peters being moved into the hooking role as well. Sammut has that little bit more spark in attack and more likely to create something out of nothing. His try on the weekend was a prime example and was a very clever piece of thinking.

Big Mick

Referee
Jarrod Sammut:

5 tries in 4 PL games....not a bad record...

He's still the leading try scorer in Jersey Flegg...even missing those games and us having 2 byes already.

Schijt hoofd

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
Aiton is an impact player.

End of.

I disagree.The more time he gets on the park the better.He would slot comfortably into 5/8,half back or lock if he was given the chance.