What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 NRL strongest man

The title belongs to the warriors 18 year old rookie Sonny Fai yet to play a game in the NRL. Watch out for this kid. Hes a real destroyer ! .Jon Ackland the assistant coach at the Warriors and the man who discovered and got Sonny bill Williams, Roy Asotasi and David Faalogo signed in the NRL apparently stated he believes this kid is the Best talent he has seen come out of Auckland in 20 years. Hopefully the Warriors use him this year !

"Sonny Fai has yet to play a senior game for the Warriors, but the burly centre/second-rower has already won one accolade. A Sydney Sun-Herald survey of the 16 NRL clubs, published today, shows the teenager is the most powerful player in the competition. Fai can perform a single repetition bench-press of 185kg -5kg better than the next-placed player, veteran prop Chris Beattie. The survey said Micheal Luck was the fittest Warrior, clocking 14.8 on the "beep" test."

FA'I_Sonny_169774.jpg

fourplay

Juniors
Bench press is a really poor way to measure the most powerful player.

How about squat or deadlift, or powerclean, or clean and jerk. Thats where the real power lies.

Geohood

Bench
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Doesn't Chris Beattie get a 20 kilo head start for being so ugly?
No he dosen't but I agree he is pretty ugly. :D

Go Beetroot! As long as you smash the opposition on the field then you can be as ugly as you want! B)

Shadow Man

Juniors
I have played against sonny when he was playing for the Junior Kiwis, he is a man mountain and consistently made our foward pack look like amatuers. I can't picture him as a centre but then again the warriors did have francis meli playing there throughout his career!
Sonny has a massive future in the game and i can not wait to see him playing in the NRL this year..

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
fourplay said:

How about squat or deadlift, or powerclean, or clean and jerk. Thats where the real power lies.

I agree, it should be the deadlift. There is barely a muscle that isn't required to make that lift.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
means nothing unless you can combine the other elements of the game. remember that huge bloke from canberra who was a man mountian who got smashed bny corey hughes, or those two big guys the sharks had who were useless

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Pierced Soul said:
means nothing unless you can combine the other elements of the game. remember that huge bloke from canberra who was a man mountian who got smashed bny corey hughes, or those two big guys the sharks had who were useless

Peter Penaia. What a joke that was. :)

Azkatro

First Grade
I seem to remember Carl Webb benching the 200 mark a few years ago, I think Billy Johnstone trimmed him up since then though. League isn't the best for a bloke carrying around the muscles needed to be that strong for 80 minutes.

-Dr.J-

Juniors
Hey he's strong, but also has the skills. Didn't you read there, John Ackland really rates this kids actual footy ability. He compares him to SBW, and when the bastard isn't injured he's pretty effective, yes?

NK Arsenal

Juniors
fourplay said:

How about all of the above, including bench press?

Raider_69

Post Whore
S.S.T.I.D said:
Peter Penaia. What a joke that was. :)

ahh yes, Peter Penaia. Won the footy show arm wrestle comp with absolute ease, was benching some ridicoulous amount... he played one trial, got sat on his arse in a big way his first hit up, and was never seen again... strength is doesnt not equate to an NRL footballer

Ive watched Sonny Fai play and he is an absolute handful to contain. The thing is he's pretty quick for such a big guy and when he has played centre it takes about 3 - 4 guys just to bring him down. Apparently when he was 16 he was already benching 160 kg !

Roosters_187

Juniors
NIGHTMARE-HITTER said:
Ive watched Sonny Fai play and he is an absolute handful to contain. The thing is he's pretty quick for such a big guy and when he has played centre it takes about 3 - 4 guys just to bring him down. Apparently when he was 16 he was already benching 160 kg !

Thats a fair amount for a 16 yr old wouldn't surprise me if he was on the roids when he was abit younger like someone I know who has a scholarship with the sharks

D

Deleted member 10972

The Sharks blokes, Tweddle & some other knucklehead. LOL

Latest posts