What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2007 Rolex Sydney to Hobart

Who will take Line Honours

• Wild Oats XI

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Maximus

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Skandia

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • ABN AMRO

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Ichi Ban

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Diabetes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loki

• Yendys

• YNQ

• Total voters

griffo346

First Grade
Here is a poll for the Sydney to Hobart yacht race who do you think will take line honours and why

I reckon Skandia will win coz i hate the kiwis and i dont want them to win and Wild Oats won last year

axie

Juniors
Macca_ said:
Ichi Ban at $17 will do me.

If it blows hard enough on the nose for the first day and a bit then swings around to the SW for a tight two sail reach across the rest of the Straight I wouldn't be surprised if Ichi Ban is first up the Derwent. Unfortunately, this will only happen if the big toys take a hammering in the first 24hrs and suffer some breakage. My money is on Oatley's boat to get Skandia in Storm Bay and have an easy run up the river and Yendys to win IRC div 1. Hopefully Syd Fisher's Ragamuffin will win PHS.

Macca_

Coach
That so? I got no idea :lol:

Remeber a news piece on it a few weeks ago saying it would be a decent chance. Races in Europe or something?

No idea what so ever, so 17/1 sounds ok for an interest bet :D

axie

Juniors
Macca_ said:
That so? I got no idea :lol:

Remeber a news piece on it a few weeks ago saying it would be a decent chance. Races in Europe or something?

No idea what so ever, so 17/1 sounds ok for an interest bet :D

Well Ichi Ban is an extremely fast boat, you'd be hard pressed to find another 70 footer able to keep up when the whether starts to kick in, but these super maxis (Skandi and Wild Oats) are in another class altogether. These boats are more than a few knots quicker in every condition, but this also can be a problem. Ichi Ban and the other Volvo 70 were designed to sail around the world, they can take an absolute pounding in the worst conditions without batting an eyelid, but in the same conditions the quicker super maxis, which are built to survive not revel in heavy conditions, must try and SLOW down to avoid either gear breakage or stress fractures in the hull caused by massive impact from literally launching off waves.

Basically, all I'm saying is that due to the expected conditions in the first 24hrs, putting some money on Ichi Ban or ABN Amro One for line honours would be a good bet. I wouldn't worry about putting cash on 'em for handicap honours anymore though, they were both hit with a increase in their IRC ratings due to the shape of their new mains.

Bob Oatley's boat is Wild Oats XI, unsure if he's actually on board this year though. If I was him I'd be staying at home on Hamilton Island instead of turning south at the heads on Boxing day as well.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this race is just getting crazier

3 boats out of the race and 5 people in hospital...................so far

I think they are going to have to start to consider the conditions and to hell with tradition, one answer could be to be flexible with the start dates, like they now do with surf contests

its about time they considered the safety of the competitors imo

axie

Juniors
Twizzle said:
this race is just getting crazier

3 boats out of the race and 5 people in hospital...................so far

I think they are going to have to start to consider the conditions and to hell with tradition, one answer could be to be flexible with the start dates, like they now do with surf contests

its about time they considered the safety of the competitors imo

It’s not that simple mate. The conditions weren't exactly bad last night; the sticks came down in about 25 knots and 6m seas, not exactly extreme weather. Calling off the race once it has started is not the smartest thing to do, the boats are still going to be out there in the weather, and when it comes to the Hobart race, the majority of the time they will be facing in the right direction. When you have extremely large seas the majority of the time you want to be heading in to them, not being pounded on the side or having waves break up your arse where there's a much higher risk of getting knocked down or gear breakage, most of the time it’s much safer to continue heading across bass straight than it is to turn around and head back to Eden.

Most people don't realise that the 1993 race was actually worse than the 1998 race in terms of conditions, but in '98 the fleet hadn't entered bass straight when it started to get messy, so the closest land mass was the east coast, so many boats decided to try and shelter there instead of continuing. Once they started to head side on into the breeze boats really started to suffer major damage. This wasn't the case in regards to the boats where there was a loss of life, but several others have admitted privately that it would've been safer to continue with the race. Our boat was leading the race in '93 when we suffered gear failure about 120nm south of Eden in about 12m seas and 50 knots on the nose, the decision to continue with the race to Hobart was more to do with safety than it was with being competitive, surfing down 12m waves without sufficient sail area to keep the boat stable would've undoubtedly resulted in further damage to the boat.

My point is that it shouldn't be up to the race committee on whether boats should return to shore or to continue, it must be up to the individual crew who are actually experiencing the weather first hand. The media have absolutely no idea what they are talking about once again ...

axie

Juniors
On a side note, my father's wife was suppose to be aboard Maximus for the trip south, but pulled out at the last minute ... she most likely would've been in the cockpit when the stick came down. I have a feeling that she'd be feeling a little lucky right now.

axie

Juniors
Yah, noticed that as well. Looks like she broke her canard sometime this arvo. If the wind picks up again tonight like predicted, Ichy should be able to pull ahead. I'm on both Ichy and Wild Oats, so its looking good at the moment.

Macca_

Coach
And is Ichy any chance to catch Wild Oats? Obviously relying on Wild Oats to have some trouble in the going....

Macca_

Coach
Within 1.4nm of Skandia now.

Been getting closer all day, but haven't been able to catch them. Right now, they are the closest they have been.

Get em' lads :lol:

axie

Juniors
Yah, been keeping an eye on 'em all day, it looks like there's a bit of wind in storm bay at the moment looking at the reported speeds Wild Oats are hitting, if the breeze stays up Ichi should have a good chance of keeping in front of Skandia. But this is storm bay, I've seen it blowing 30 knots in one area and dead still in another. Either way it should be a good finish between the two.

Yendys is still in with a good chance of picking up IRC even though she's fallen to 6th but only an hour and a bit behind the leader, Love and War. The IRC result won't be known for a few days still though.

Macca_

Coach
Wild Oats wins.

Ichy Ban are nearly 7nm ahead of Skandia with just over 36nm to go.

Quinella up baring injury :D

Latest posts