What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2008 rule changes

lukesdogs

Juniors
2 rule changers or tweeking that i think should happen in 2008

1. scrums who ever set the scrum must remain and pack the scrum

2. when in defending on the line you must have both feet on or behind the line

does any one else have any other legimiate changer that shoudl be made.

Butters

Bench
Somehow get them to contest the scrums, i hate watching half the players in the scrum break from it before the balls even left it.

lukesdogs

Juniors
Butters said:
Somehow get them to contest the scrums, i hate watching half the players in the scrum break from it before the balls even left it.

I totaly agree with you butters i watched the english SL last night and that happened on almost every scrum.

Inferno

Coach
Get rid of the charge down rule. A charge down is a knock on unless it comes off your back or legs.

lukesdogs

Juniors
Maori-Boy said:
Make double movements legal. This would stop referees different interpretations of a double movement.
i agree if you ar a meter from the line and can reach over after you hit the ground you should be able to

eels_fan_01

Bench
Maori-Boy said:
Make double movements legal. This would stop referees different interpretations of a double movement.

Yeah and then the tackle is never completed so a guy can reach out 50 times to get it over the line, stupid idea.

1. If you receive a penalty and you take a shot at goal and miss the opposition get the ball from a 20 tap and dont drop it out 20 metres out.

2. With the advantage rule, say the opposition loses the ball and you pick it up you only lose that advantage when you pass the ball to a teammate, it doesnt matter how far you run even if its 80 metres but you automatically lose it when you pass the ball.

jimmyo

Juniors
1. When you receive a penalty the tackle count doesn't restart

2. 5 minute sin-bin for professional fouls

Maori-Boy

Juniors
eels_fan_01 said:
Yeah and then the tackle is never completed so a guy can reach out 50 times to get it over the line, stupid idea.

1. If you receive a penalty and you take a shot at goal and miss the opposition get the ball from a 20 tap and dont drop it out 20 metres out.

2. With the advantage rule, say the opposition loses the ball and you pick it up you only lose that advantage when you pass the ball to a teammate, it doesnt matter how far you run even if its 80 metres but you automatically lose it when you pass the ball.

The tackle never completed? The ref determines when the tackle is finished. If you havent heard it he yells out '''HELD''. If it goes to the video ref he decides whether the tackle is completed before the putdown occurs. That's how it's done now anyway

Danish

Referee
I have 3 rule changes...

1. A charge down does not restart the tackle count, just restarts that tackle.

If you get charged down on tackle 5 but regain the ball, you get 1 more tackle to get a fair kick away. Charge downs are a great defensive play coupled with a terrible offensive play. I see no reason why the attacker should be awarded for putting in a terrible kick.

2. I would also like them to introduce the ability to stop the clock on a changeover.

When a team knocks on with 10 seconds to go on the 4th, a scrum gets packed and the clock is stopped, giving the attacking team a break to organise their final play. However at present if the same thing happens on the last, it is simply a changeover and the clock keeps running down ,forcing the attacking side to rush and pretty much spoil any chance at mounting an organised attack.

3. And finally, I would like a challenge system brought in.

The referee makes a decision on ALL plays (including tries) and each team is given 3 chances per game to challenge these decisions. if they get it right, they keep their challenge, otherwise they forfeit one. This rule is the most important IMO as it will not only stop us seeing 10 video ref decisions per game, but it will also increase the standard of refereeing as they are forced to watch the game more closely and make more decisions on the fly.

scuzzi

Juniors
1. 10 interchanges instead of 12

2. Changes in game weighting when it comes down to suspension for the finals series (1 finals game equals 2 regular games, grand final equals 3 regular games etc)

3. rule 2 is discontinued for players who are repeat offenders in the finals series

4. 5 min sinbin for incidents put on report, or illegal incidences that cause harm to the opposition team or individual players. (ie, a high tackle that forces a team to interchange players).

Dogaholic

First Grade
Danish said:
I have 3 rule changes...

1. A charge down does not restart the tackle count, just restarts that tackle.

If you get charged down on tackle 5 but regain the ball, you get 1 more tackle to get a fair kick away. Charge downs are a great defensive play coupled with a terrible offensive play. I see no reason why the attacker should be awarded for putting in a terrible kick.

2. I would also like them to introduce the ability to stop the clock on a changeover.

When a team knocks on with 10 seconds to go on the 4th, a scrum gets packed and the clock is stopped, giving the attacking team a break to organise their final play. However at present if the same thing happens on the last, it is simply a changeover and the clock keeps running down ,forcing the attacking side to rush and pretty much spoil any chance at mounting an organised attack.

3. And finally, I would like a challenge system brought in.

The referee makes a decision on ALL plays (including tries) and each team is given 3 chances per game to challenge these decisions. if they get it right, they keep their challenge, otherwise they forfeit one. This rule is the most important IMO as it will not only stop us seeing 10 video ref decisions per game, but it will also increase the standard of refereeing as they are forced to watch the game more closely and make more decisions on the fly.

Who would have the power to challenge it? The captain or coach. How long do they have to challenge it? Once the ref blows for a try can it be challenged?

Abz

Juniors
Share the Draw points + 1? Why not? If 2 teams are locked up at the end of 80 minutes, why not allow both teams to at least walk away with 1 point? Continue with GP and if someone scores in golden Point, they get 2 points. So basically, 3 points are taken away from the game, but the team that lost in GP and was INITIALLY drawn with the other team can walk away with something. It'll be only good for our game. I havn't seen many draws since golden point and I'd like to see some every now and then.

Eels Dude

Coach
Maori-Boy said:
The tackle never completed? The ref determines when the tackle is finished. If you havent heard it he yells out '''HELD''. If it goes to the video ref he decides whether the tackle is completed before the putdown occurs. That's how it's done now anyway

From my understanding if the player's being held on the ground and the arm holding the ball's on the ground, the tackle is complete, there's no need for the ref to call held. That's the only instance when a double movement will occur. If the tackled player is standing and there's a bit of a wrestle and he gets it down for a try, there would be no double movement in that sitaution.

skeepe

Immortal
lukesdogs said:
1. scrums who ever set the scrum must remain and pack the scrum

I've always thought that a great way of counter-acting the "whoever gets there first pack" mentality to stop the clock would be for the other team to pack down at the same time, thereby forcing the scrum to pack as is. If the other team can get all their forwards there quickly enough, it would be a great way to get an advantage.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
abz said:
Share the Draw points + 1? Why not? If 2 teams are locked up at the end of 80 minutes, why not allow both teams to at least walk away with 1 point? Continue with GP and if someone scores in golden Point, they get 2 points. So basically, 3 points are taken away from the game, but the team that lost in GP and was INITIALLY drawn with the other team can walk away with something. It'll be only good for our game. I havn't seen many draws since golden point and I'd like to see some every now and then.

Actually interesting concept... imagine the 'golden pointS' concept'.

Change it so that the game is played until someone gets 2 points in extra time.

One solitary field goal wouldn't be enough, you'd have to get two field goals in extra time to win it.

Or a ONE penalty kick, or ONE try.... it would make the extra time determination less of a raffle.

The General

Juniors
abz said:

There would be an issue with some games being worth 3 points and others being worth 2.

I'd like to see Golden Point become Golden try. The game would only finish after a try is scored but if a team kicks a field goal and is ahead after the 10 mins then they still win the game. I think it would force better attacking options in Golden Point rather then just have a field goal shootout.

Goldthorpe

Bench
lukesdogs said:
2. when in defending on the line you must have both feet on or behind the line
From my understanding that is the rule. You need to have both feet on the try line to be onside.

Latest posts